Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wi-lan listed in availiable detected even with SSID broadcats disabled ??

Wi-lan listed in availiable detected even with SSID broadcats disabled ??

Michel S.

Hi !

After I completed all my wireless connections setup, I set the SSID
broadcast to "disabled" in my router (D-Link DI-624).

Despite this, my laptop computer is still able to detect and report it
in the "display wireless networks" function.. (sorry if it's not the
exact wording -- I translated the prompt).

I made sure that both my laptop and my router have been restarted.

How can this happen ? How can I make sure my connection is hidden to
my neighbours ??

I'm running XP-Pro (sp2)

Thanks !

Dave

disabling ssid as you have seen will not 'hide' the router. any router
that is passing traffic can be seen by anyone within range. the proper
method to secure it is wpa or wep encryption. in fact, xp's wzc service
will give you problems staying connected if you turn off ssid broadcast.

"Michel S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi !
>
> After I completed all my wireless connections setup, I set the SSID
> broadcast to "disabled" in my router (D-Link DI-624).
>
> Despite this, my laptop computer is still able to detect and report it
> in the "display wireless networks" function.. (sorry if it's not the
> exact wording -- I translated the prompt).
>
> I made sure that both my laptop and my router have been restarted.
>
> How can this happen ? How can I make sure my connection is hidden to
> my neighbours ??
>
> I'm running XP-Pro (sp2)
>
> Thanks !

DanR

Michel S. wrote:
> Hi !
>
> After I completed all my wireless connections setup, I set the SSID
> broadcast to "disabled" in my router (D-Link DI-624).
>
> Despite this, my laptop computer is still able to detect and report it
> in the "display wireless networks" function.. (sorry if it's not the
> exact wording -- I translated the prompt).
>
> I made sure that both my laptop and my router have been restarted.
>
> How can this happen ? How can I make sure my connection is hidden to
> my neighbours ??
>
> I'm running XP-Pro (sp2)
>
> Thanks !

I'm guessing that you already "told" your laptop the SSID (name) of your access
point. So it's normal for any computer that "knows" the SSID to see it in the
available wireless network list.

Michel S.

Thanks for your answer..

Yes, I used WEP to add security to the wireless connection in addition
to change the SSID, the default channel, the router's default IP
address and, of course, the admin password !

But what is then the exact purpose/utility of disabling the SSID
broadcast if anybody can pick it up anyway ?

I find this is an invitation to the neighbourgs to exercise their
hacking skills ! :/

Dave a écrit :
> disabling ssid as you have seen will not 'hide' the router. any router
> that is passing traffic can be seen by anyone within range. the proper
> method to secure it is wpa or wep encryption. in fact, xp's wzc service
> will give you problems staying connected if you turn off ssid broadcast.

Sooner Al [MVP]

There is absolutely NO good reason to disable broadcast of the network SSID other than to cause
connection problems...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11468

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/wifisecurity

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Michel S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for your answer..
>
> Yes, I used WEP to add security to the wireless connection in addition to change the SSID, the
> default channel, the router's default IP address and, of course, the admin password !
>
> But what is then the exact purpose/utility of disabling the SSID broadcast if anybody can pick it
> up anyway ?
>
> I find this is an invitation to the neighbourgs to exercise their hacking skills ! :/
>

> Dave a écrit :
>> disabling ssid as you have seen will not 'hide' the router. any router
>> that is passing traffic can be seen by anyone within range. the proper
>> method to secure it is wpa or wep encryption. in fact, xp's wzc service
>> will give you problems staying connected if you turn off ssid broadcast.

Jim Seifert [MSFT]

Once a network is added to the preferred list manually the wireless service
will "look" for it by sending probe requests and report it in the SSID list
if the access point responds. As suggested here the service is sending a
specific request and receiving a reply so you see it in the list.

newsgroup purposes only.
"DanR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3zKoe.90$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Michel S. wrote:
>> Hi !
>>
>> After I completed all my wireless connections setup, I set the SSID
>> broadcast to "disabled" in my router (D-Link DI-624).
>>
>> Despite this, my laptop computer is still able to detect and report it
>> in the "display wireless networks" function.. (sorry if it's not the
>> exact wording -- I translated the prompt).
>>
>> I made sure that both my laptop and my router have been restarted.
>>
>> How can this happen ? How can I make sure my connection is hidden to
>> my neighbours ??
>>
>> I'm running XP-Pro (sp2)
>>
>> Thanks !

> I'm guessing that you already "told" your laptop the SSID (name) of your
> access
> point. So it's normal for any computer that "knows" the SSID to see it in
> the
> available wireless network list.

Pavel A.

"Michel S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> But what is then the exact purpose/utility of disabling the SSID
> broadcast if anybody can pick it up anyway ?

What is the purpose of locking the door of a house, if
somebody with proper skills and equipment can break in?

> I find this is an invitation to the neighbourgs to exercise their
> hacking skills ! :/

Pavel A.

DanR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3zKoe.90$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm guessing that you already "told" your laptop the SSID (name) of your access
> point. So it's normal for any computer that "knows" the SSID to see it in the
> available wireless network list.

Your guessing is correct. The wi-fi driver and the MS software make the associated AP
appear as visible, though it is actually hidden. This won't happen until you connect to it.
..
Regards,
--PA

oldguy

Obviously, to keep away the others without the sophisticated skills and
equipment.

Best regards,
Engin

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Michel S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> But what is then the exact purpose/utility of disabling the SSID
>> broadcast if anybody can pick it up anyway ?

> What is the purpose of locking the door of a house, if
> somebody with proper skills and equipment can break in?
>
>> I find this is an invitation to the neighbourgs to exercise their
>> hacking skills ! :/

rupert

"Pavel A." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Michel S." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> But what is then the exact purpose/utility of disabling the SSID
>> broadcast if anybody can pick it up anyway ?

> What is the purpose of locking the door of a house, if
> somebody with proper skills and equipment can break in?

Because most people do not have the proper skills and equipment to break
into either your network or your home