Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Dell Dimension 2400 case disassembly

Dell Dimension 2400 case disassembly

eDog

My girlfriend has a Dell Dimension 2400 and we decided to upgrade the
system with a DVD burner.

I was able to get the side panel off the case but after that the system
became a bit of a chinese puzzle.

The frame seems to be riveted to the mounting hardware for the original
drive and it obstructs access to the mounting screws. Giving up on this
I decided to leave the original CD-Rom drive in the system unit but
completely unplugged and move the cables to the new drive.

I then found myself unable to install the new DVD drive into the other
open drive bay because the front panel blocks prevents the drive from
being slid in from the front.

I kind of figured that the front panel is supposed to come off, but I am
afraid to force it because I might break it.

Does anyone out there have experience with this model of Dell (Dimension
2400)?

We have some Dells at work, but they don't present nearly as many
obstacles. They have obvious (and not so obvious) levers all over the
place that make installing new hardware a literal snap.

But not this puppy.

I searched the Dell site but could not find any specific help for the
system case.

me

I can tell you how most HP, Gateway and Compaqs come apart. Figured it out
after some puzzling over it myself. If you look inside the case toward the
drive bays on the front inside, you will see little tabs of sorts that look
like they would let you push them out and the case front slides off. This
is how HP, gateway and compaqs--at least the ones I have seen--come apart.

hope that helps

Chris Evans

I have worked on a couple of Dells (though not 2400s) that have a metal
horizontal tab near the drive bays. If you push down on the tab you will be
able to slide the whole drive bay assembly out along a curved slot on the
top and a pin that pivots on the bottom. Took me a while to figure this one
out, so I'm hoping this is the same setup you have. Hope this helps.

Chris
A+, Net+

"Rightard Whitey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fhNie.31619$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> eDog wrote:
>> My girlfriend has a Dell Dimension 2400 and we decided to upgrade the
>> system with a DVD burner.
>>
>> I was able to get the side panel off the case but after that the system
>> became a bit of a chinese puzzle.
>>
>> The frame seems to be riveted to the mounting hardware for the original
>> drive and it obstructs access to the mounting screws. Giving up on this I
>> decided to leave the original CD-Rom drive in the system unit but
>> completely unplugged and move the cables to the new drive.
>>
>> I then found myself unable to install the new DVD drive into the other
>> open drive bay because the front panel blocks prevents the drive from
>> being slid in from the front.
>>
>> I kind of figured that the front panel is supposed to come off, but I am
>> afraid to force it because I might break it.
>>
>> Does anyone out there have experience with this model of Dell (Dimension
>> 2400)?
>>
>> We have some Dells at work, but they don't present nearly as many
>> obstacles. They have obvious (and not so obvious) levers all over the
>> place that make installing new hardware a literal snap.
>>
>> But not this puppy.
>>
>> I searched the Dell site but could not find any specific help for the
>> system case.

> I have worked on a Dell like one you describe. Check for some small
> screws, but I beleive the front panel just pops off if you pull on it.
>
> --
> Educating rightards every day.

eDog

You've all been very helpful, particularly in providing the link to the
system manual that I was unable to locate online.

smackedass wrote:
> Just as an aside, as an onsite technician, there's nothing more frustrating
> or embarrasing than being unable to get a case off/on a computer while
> you're in the customer's presence.
>
> I could curl up into the fetal position and die. Luckily, the newer cases
> are generally easier to work with than the old ones.
>
> smackedass

You need your Dell PC tag ID to search their site (in the UK). Squeeze out
the front panel of the optical drive bay from the inside. (Ask your IT
manager to show you a front panel.) Are you using anti-static protection???

PS. Where do you go to replace failed Dell RAM?