Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: WinAntiVirus opionions?

Re: WinAntiVirus opionions?

dave

smackedass wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Anyone have any good/bad/indifferent opinions about this product?
>
> Thanks.
>
> smackedass

Yes;

I am indifferent about WinAntiVirus, since I do not
use it.

Use Linux or OpenBSD instead, and get out of the
virii gunsights for at least another 10 years...

AG

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> smackedass wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Anyone have any good/bad/indifferent opinions about this product?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> smackedass

> Yes;
>
> I am indifferent about WinAntiVirus, since I do not
> use it.
>
> Use Linux or OpenBSD instead, and get out of the
> virii gunsights for at least another 10 years...

Well dave I have to say that your attitude can hit you right in the pocket.
What do I mean? Well Grandma Moses isn't going to switch to Linux. Windows
XP came on her computer and Windows XP will run on it till it dies.
Grandma needs an antivirus and if she asks for a recommendation it's up to a
technician who wants to make a living to make one for her. She doesn't want
a lecture on Linux, AIX, Mac or Solaris and how much better they are than
Windoze. She wants to feel that she is safe using her computer.

I've worked on Linux. I have one computer that is dedicated exclusively to
running Linux. I've made money as a Linux system administrator but I still
make more money fixing Windoze boxes and helping people with the problems
they have with them.

Linux is growing and is getting more and more capable every day but until
it's running on more than 20% of consumer boxes you better keep up your
Windoze skills. Otherwise you're going to get very hungry unless your a
system admin.

AG

PS: As to the original question I've used AVG and I'm about to try the new
version of CLAM AV for Windows. I've decided that Norton uses too many
system resources and I really don't like Mcaffee at all. I've heard too
much about them laying off the old hands and too many problems with their
software.
I've tried Kasperski and don't like it much.

dave

smackedass wrote:
>>I am indifferent about WinAntiVirus, since I do not
>>use it.
>>
>>Use Linux or OpenBSD instead, and get out of the
>>virii gunsights for at least another 10 years...

> Point taken; bless ya. Generally, in my life, I'm suspicious of the
> populace and their culture, but with regards to communications electronic,
> my skills are stunted, but even more, are my customer's.
>
> Hope you'll only flattered if I suggest that you're even more of a geek than
> I.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> smackedass

None taken

I have tried in the past MaCafee, Norton AV, F-Prot,
and a few others, but I found them all having
both strengths and weaknesses.

The only real way to secure a Windows 98/2000/XP box
is to make sure of these few things;

1/. The site you download from is a trusted site. In most
cases, these sites will provide you with software you
can use with little worry.

Word of mouth helps a lot, use it and ask questions.

2/. Don't unzip while downloading a file from a server,
download it first;

This permits most AV software a chance to first
scan it as it comes through, and then have a
second chance to scan it again on your drive zipped up.

If your AV does find a virus, you can simply delete
the file, not do a complete re-install.

3/. Try not to activate to many auto-updaters; Better to
schedule the updates yourself, or do this on a monthly
basis if you can.

I hope someone can answer your questions about WinAntiVirus...

dave

AG wrote:
> "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
>>smackedass wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>Anyone have any good/bad/indifferent opinions about this product?
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>
>>>smackedass

>>Yes;
>>
>>I am indifferent about WinAntiVirus, since I do not
>>use it.
>>
>>Use Linux or OpenBSD instead, and get out of the
>>virii gunsights for at least another 10 years...

> Well dave I have to say that your attitude can hit you right in the pocket.

Oh, this has got to be good..

> What do I mean? Well Grandma Moses isn't going to switch to Linux. Windows
> XP came on her computer and Windows XP will run on it till it dies.

That isn't necessarily true, since I converted my parents to
using Linux 2 years back ( both over 70 ).
Sure, there is a learning curve, but after writing some 4 scripts
for them, their happier for it rather than spending a lot of
money for yearly updates until that computer dies.

Oh, and no more worrying about the next MS updating that
could possibly cause that computer to freeze.

> Grandma needs an antivirus and if she asks for a recommendation it's up to a
> technician who wants to make a living to make one for her. She doesn't want
> a lecture on Linux, AIX, Mac or Solaris and how much better they are than
> Windoze. She wants to feel that she is safe using her computer.

That's what you think; After 30 occasions to the son, they
wanted to use a computer that would be so virus prone; I
suggested a MAC, but to my surprise, my Father asked about
Linux.

> I've worked on Linux. I have one computer that is dedicated exclusively to
> running Linux. I've made money as a Linux system administrator but I still
> make more money fixing Windoze boxes and helping people with the problems
> they have with them.

Of course you make money fixing Windoze boxes and helping people
with problems they have with their boxes;

Our certification would not exist today if MS did not make their
operating system so unrealiable.

I went and wrote that A+, Network+, and almost wrote the MSCE,
but gave up on it for a more workable operating system.

> Linux is growing and is getting more and more capable every day but until
> it's running on more than 20% of consumer boxes you better keep up your
> Windoze skills. Otherwise you're going to get very hungry unless your a
> system admin.

Well, I think MS has seen the light, since their advertising has
switched in the last 2 months...

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=112000027XIO

But yes, even us Linux nuts agree that there is money to be made
"sweeping" viruses out of WIN servers and workstations that
Linux ones.

Ca la vie

> AG
>
> PS: As to the original question I've used AVG and I'm about to try the new
> version of CLAM AV for Windows. I've decided that Norton uses too many
> system resources and I really don't like Mcaffee at all. I've heard too
> much about them laying off the old hands and too many problems with their
> software.
> I've tried Kasperski and don't like it much.

I've tried Macafee, F-Prot, Norton AV myself, and don't like any.

I've heard about CLAM but have yet to try it. I just may
do that this week.

> [...]

> switched in the last 2 months...
>
> http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtm...d=112000027XIO
>
> But yes, even us Linux nuts agree that there is money to be made
> "sweeping" viruses out of WIN servers and workstations that
> Linux ones.
>
> Ca la vie
>

>> AG
>>
>> PS: As to the original question I've used AVG and I'm about to try the
>> new version of CLAM AV for Windows. I've decided that Norton uses too
>> many system resources and I really don't like Mcaffee at all. I've heard
>> too much about them laying off the old hands and too many problems with
>> their software.
>> I've tried Kasperski and don't like it much.

> I've tried Macafee, F-Prot, Norton AV myself, and don't like any.
>
> I've heard about CLAM but have yet to try it. I just may

Up to this point I've only used Clam on mail servers. So far I haven't seen
anything slip through that went through the mail server. With some of the
viri using their own mail engine it's not going to stop everything from
getting to people's inbox but it can take a serious load off a mail server
if you route all the mail through an antivirus/antispam system first then to
the mail server.

AG

Yes agree that Norton uses too many system resources but have found McAfee
great for many years.

"AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4286c0c7$0$79003$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> smackedass wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Anyone have any good/bad/indifferent opinions about this product?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> smackedass

>> Yes;
>>
>> I am indifferent about WinAntiVirus, since I do not
>> use it.
>>
>> Use Linux or OpenBSD instead, and get out of the
>> virii gunsights for at least another 10 years...

> Well dave I have to say that your attitude can hit you right in the
> pocket. What do I mean? Well Grandma Moses isn't going to switch to
> Linux. Windows XP came on her computer and Windows XP will run on it till
> it dies.
> Grandma needs an antivirus and if she asks for a recommendation it's up to
> a technician who wants to make a living to make one for her. She doesn't
> want a lecture on Linux, AIX, Mac or Solaris and how much better they are
> than Windoze. She wants to feel that she is safe using her computer.
>
> I've worked on Linux. I have one computer that is dedicated exclusively
> to running Linux. I've made money as a Linux system administrator but I
> still make more money fixing Windoze boxes and helping people with the
> problems they have with them.
>
> Linux is growing and is getting more and more capable every day but until
> it's running on more than 20% of consumer boxes you better keep up your
> Windoze skills. Otherwise you're going to get very hungry unless your a
> system admin.
>
> AG
>
> PS: As to the original question I've used AVG and I'm about to try the new
> version of CLAM AV for Windows. I've decided that Norton uses too many
> system resources and I really don't like Mcaffee at all. I've heard too
> much about them laying off the old hands and too many problems with their
> software.
> I've tried Kasperski and don't like it much.

AG

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d7897i$qma$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Yes agree that Norton uses too many system resources but have found McAfee
> great for many years.

The only problem with McAfee is that they have laid off all the old guys
that they've had around for years and hired a bunch of young guys at half
the pay.
I had one customer that bought their firewall when it first came out. This
was a pretty tech savvy guy. I was working for an ISP at the time and we
went round and round between their tech support and ours, meaning me. When
we disabled the firewall he could get on the web. When it was on he could
connect but not go anywhere on the web or check email. After 6 weeks of
back and forth he called one more time and Mcaffee's tech support told him
that they no longer supported that program. That's just not right.
Fortunately he had bought it with his credit card and took it back to
Wal-Mart and threatened to reverse the charges. They gave him his money
back.
AG