Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Question on logical drives

Question on logical drives

Dave

Hi all,

I'm preparing for my O/S exam and am doing practice tests from
ExactQuestions (as well as TestKing (thanks Marco)). They seem to be pretty
good although I don't agree with their answers 100% of the time. For
instance...

They ask: How many logical drives exist on a Windows 2000 Professional
system?

Their answer: Unlimited.

My understanding is that although operating systems are getting more
sophisticated, we're still left with the single lettered drive names of DOS.
To my mind that amounts to 26 (A - Z). Subtract two for the floppies
(usually A and B) and one for the primary partition (usually C) and that
leaves 23. How do they get "unlimited"??

Does anyone agree with their answer and can explain it to me? I'd be greatly
appreciative.

Dave

Hi Dave - For my part you are correct. Perhaps unlimited logical drives
would be possible if partitioning programs would allow drive letters beyond
Z. Having passed A+ last year I have seen one clients (second hand) PC with
a primary partition of 2GB and an extended partition comprising 12 logical
partitions of 2GB or less from F to Q which were all empty. Drive C was
nearly full. The hard drive was cabled to the secondary IDE. Windows M.E.
was pirated, the client had no disks, the OS was corrupt. Microsoft had
bumped off the Internet connection, and the CDRW had failed. If it hadn't
have been a neighbour I wouldn't have taken the job but I did earn 200. (I
think the 2GB limit on each partition was due to the seller not saying yes
to large drives during the partitioning process - I must refer to my study
notes!!) Good luck. Alan A+
news:lhsge.1148$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm preparing for my O/S exam and am doing practice tests from
> ExactQuestions (as well as TestKing (thanks Marco)). They seem to be
> pretty good although I don't agree with their answers 100% of the time.
> For instance...
>
> They ask: How many logical drives exist on a Windows 2000 Professional
> system?
>
> Their answer: Unlimited.
>
> My understanding is that although operating systems are getting more
> sophisticated, we're still left with the single lettered drive names of
> DOS. To my mind that amounts to 26 (A - Z). Subtract two for the floppies
> (usually A and B) and one for the primary partition (usually C) and that
> leaves 23. How do they get "unlimited"??
>
> Does anyone agree with their answer and can explain it to me? I'd be
> greatly appreciative.
>
> Dave

Patrick Michael

news:lhsge.1148$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm preparing for my O/S exam and am doing practice tests from
> ExactQuestions (as well as TestKing (thanks Marco)). They seem to be
> pretty good although I don't agree with their answers 100% of the time.
> For instance...
>
> They ask: How many logical drives exist on a Windows 2000 Professional
> system?
>
> Their answer: Unlimited.
>
> My understanding is that although operating systems are getting more
> sophisticated, we're still left with the single lettered drive names of
> DOS. To my mind that amounts to 26 (A - Z). Subtract two for the floppies
> (usually A and B) and one for the primary partition (usually C) and that
> leaves 23. How do they get "unlimited"??
>
> Does anyone agree with their answer and can explain it to me? I'd be
> greatly appreciative.

Testkings are essentially braindumps, meaning they "stole" the questions
from the actual tests but came up with the answers on their own. On some
questions, they do not have the correct answer. This might be one of them.

MF

They get that answer because they are idiots.

You are right. One primary. one for the floppy and one wasted. remainder:
23.

The whole purpose of braindumps and other test questions is for you to check
their answers.

news:lhsge.1148$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> I'm preparing for my O/S exam and am doing practice tests from
> ExactQuestions (as well as TestKing (thanks Marco)). They seem to be

pretty
> good although I don't agree with their answers 100% of the time. For
> instance...
>
> They ask: How many logical drives exist on a Windows 2000 Professional
> system?
>
> Their answer: Unlimited.
>
> My understanding is that although operating systems are getting more
> sophisticated, we're still left with the single lettered drive names of

DOS.
> To my mind that amounts to 26 (A - Z). Subtract two for the floppies
> (usually A and B) and one for the primary partition (usually C) and that
> leaves 23. How do they get "unlimited"??
>
> Does anyone agree with their answer and can explain it to me? I'd be

greatly
> appreciative.
>
> Dave

Viken Karaguesian

The answer *is* correct, in theory, but not real-world applications. The
number of logical drives IS theoretically unlimited, but is limited only by
the number of letters in the alphabet. If there were 50 letters in the
alphabet, there would be 47 logical drives.

Later on I can quote directly from the A+ Exam guide book I'm reading.

Viken K.