Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Dual Booting Windows XP Home Edition & Windows 2003 Server

Dual Booting Windows XP Home Edition & Windows 2003 Server

anonymous2005686

I am studying for a MCSA certificate. I bought a Windows Server 2003
Enviroment (70-2900 book by Microsoft. which include the Windows 2003 server
evaluation software to used and study with the book. I have a Windows XP
Home Edition installed on my pc. I have a an extended partition in NTFS
format and and hard drive and I know I can dual boot from the extended
partition or second hard disk and both in NTFS format. My question is can
dual boot with the Window XP Home Edition on my primary edition and the
Windows 2003 Server installed on the extended partition or second hard disk
please?

regards,

Barry

Michael

I guess you can, because my computer does exactly that! I have Home Edition
on one drive and Windows Server 2003 on the other drive.

"anonymous2005686" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5tble$3iq$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> My question is can dual boot with the Window XP Home Edition on my
> primary edition and the Windows 2003 Server installed on the extended
> partition or second hard disk please?
>
> regards,
>
> Barry

Hi Barry - How do you know you can boot from an extended partition - have
you tried it? Alan A+

"anonymous2005686" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5tble$3iq$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>I am studying for a MCSA certificate. I bought a Windows Server 2003
>Enviroment (70-2900 book by Microsoft. which include the Windows 2003
>server evaluation software to used and study with the book. I have a
>Windows XP Home Edition installed on my pc. I have a an extended partition
>in NTFS format and and hard drive and I know I can dual boot from the
>extended partition or second hard disk and both in NTFS format. My question
>is can dual boot with the Window XP Home Edition on my primary edition and
>the Windows 2003 Server installed on the extended partition or second hard
>disk please?
>
> regards,
>
> Barry

And how do you get Windows Server 2003 to boot?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I guess you can, because my computer does exactly that! I have Home
>Edition on one drive and Windows Server 2003 on the other drive.
>

> "anonymous2005686" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d5tble$3iq$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>> My question is can dual boot with the Window XP Home Edition on my
>> primary edition and the Windows 2003 Server installed on the extended
>> partition or second hard disk please?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Barry

anonymous2005686

Hi Alan,

You should find it on the internet or read books. Yes you can dual boot from
the extended partition as long as both use the same format and or not
dynamic.

regards,

Barry
A+, Network+

"A" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5ttpf$2md$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> Hi Barry - How do you know you can boot from an extended partition - have
> you tried it? Alan A+
>
> "anonymous2005686" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:d5tble$3iq$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
>>I am studying for a MCSA certificate. I bought a Windows Server 2003
>>Enviroment (70-2900 book by Microsoft. which include the Windows 2003
>>server evaluation software to used and study with the book. I have a
>>Windows XP Home Edition installed on my pc. I have a an extended partition
>>in NTFS format and and hard drive and I know I can dual boot from the
>>extended partition or second hard disk and both in NTFS format. My
>>question is can dual boot with the Window XP Home Edition on my primary
>>edition and the Windows 2003 Server installed on the extended partition or
>>second hard disk please?
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Barry

MF

top posting is good

Billy is right. He left out how you do it. Simply install 2003. when it
tells you you can't upgrade from xp just click ok or next or whatever. it
will ask you if you want to to a clean install. say yes. proceed.

now here's what i always forget- exactly where it asks you if you want to
pick ***or create*** the partition you want to install it to. just keep
clicking on "options" or "customize" or whatever other fancy choice it gives
you on the screens in the wizard.

don't chose any of those options till you find the one that gives you the
choose or create the partition screen, then choose to create a logical drive
in the extended partition and format it with ntfs. (or, if you want to test
the convert program, choose fat 32, and convert it later. it works dont
worry))

then just go on choosing and clicking and it will install and install it's
boot manger - boot.ini - which when you start up will give you a choice
between xp and 2k3.

works like a charm.

good luck.

Mike

"anonymous2005686" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:d5tble$3iq$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...
> I am studying for a MCSA certificate. I bought a Windows Server 2003
> Enviroment (70-2900 book by Microsoft. which include the Windows 2003

server
> evaluation software to used and study with the book. I have a Windows XP
> Home Edition installed on my pc. I have a an extended partition in NTFS
> format and and hard drive and I know I can dual boot from the extended
> partition or second hard disk and both in NTFS format. My question is can
> dual boot with the Window XP Home Edition on my primary edition and the
> Windows 2003 Server installed on the extended partition or second hard

disk
> please?
>
> regards,
>
> Barry

MF

"Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9eBge.5403$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Actually I prefer the top post, but some groups heavily frown upon it.

Oh, boy, do they ever. It always amazes me how cranked up some guys get
about it. With the endless list of things on earth to get cranked about,
how does top/bottom posting get so (apparently) near the top of the list?

My favorite bottom post phenomena is where the poster quotes about twenty
begin swarming in your brain, and then you reach the current poster's
.. five word comment. Or "Check this" and a link.

Speaking of links: check this: http://www.markusleonhardt.de/oelbilder.html
A guy in germany is running a computer submerged in vegetable oil. My
question: store brand or expensive imported extra virgin?

Michael

When I start my computer, a screen asks which OS do I want to boot. I simply
select Server 2003.

news:d5tud1$k34$(E-Mail Removed)-infra.bt.com...

"Spammy Sammy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > Speaking of links: check this:

> http://www.markusleonhardt.de/oelbilder.html
> > A guy in germany is running a computer submerged in vegetable oil. My
> > question: store brand or expensive imported extra virgin?

> Is it the computer that is submerged in the oil or the user? Your post is
> unclear

Theoretically, the meanings are unlimited. (Just to confuse things more,
the foregoing is an obscure reference to a post in another thread.)

returnoftheyeti@aol.com

If you don't know how to dual boot a PC, you have no business being a
A+ or a MCP