Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > What makes a good Tech?

What makes a good Tech?

AG

Curiosity.
You have to be ready to learn to fix almost anything.

AG

"Paul Kersey" <Paul http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HdKee.6747$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Got talked into a short-term project recently that required a skill set I

as
> yet don't have. Recruiter was anxious to get the postion filled. It was
> pretty humilating. (Basically, got kicked from the project.)
> The thing that really got me, was the hit my confidence took. Since I got

my
> A+/Network+ work has been piece meal and not always in the same areas.
> Experience seems to be hard to come by or maybe I'm not trying hard

enough.

> What's a good way to keep the skills sharp and confidence high, when the
> work is not consistent?
> What makes a good Tech?
>
> PK

Paul Kersey

Got talked into a short-term project recently that required a skill set I as
yet don't have. Recruiter was anxious to get the postion filled. It was
pretty humilating. (Basically, got kicked from the project.)
The thing that really got me, was the hit my confidence took. Since I got my
A+/Network+ work has been piece meal and not always in the same areas.
Experience seems to be hard to come by or maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

What's a good way to keep the skills sharp and confidence high, when the
work is not consistent?
What makes a good Tech?

PK

returnoftheyeti@aol.com

What makes a good tech?

1) Admitting what you don't know.

This means that if you are asked to set up 15 VLANS on different
subnets inside an office and you cant do it, tell who ever ask you.
Don't be afraid to admit you don't know somthing. Offer to assist (for
free if necessary) so you can learn.

2) Don't be afraid to try somthing.

Should you attempt to take on a project that you know you cant
complete, like the example above? NO. Should you be afraid of adding a
user to a Win2k3 server if you have only worked on Win2k? No.

3) The intuitive grasp of stuff.

You have to have a good intuitave understanding of how this stuff
works. If you understand basic understanding of how driver conflicts
cause windows to fail, you should always be able to reckonize the
symptoms of a failed driver, even if its a device you have never worked
with before.

Thoes are the 3 things that make a good tech, and remember from 4th
grade "no question is a stupid question"

jc

Learning how to post a question to one group and not all certification
groups.

"Paul Kersey" <Paul (E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:HdKee.6747$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Got talked into a short-term project recently that required a skill set I

as
> yet don't have. Recruiter was anxious to get the postion filled. It was
> pretty humilating. (Basically, got kicked from the project.)
> The thing that really got me, was the hit my confidence took. Since I got

my
> A+/Network+ work has been piece meal and not always in the same areas.
> Experience seems to be hard to come by or maybe I'm not trying hard

enough.

> What's a good way to keep the skills sharp and confidence high, when the
> work is not consistent?
> What makes a good Tech?
>
> PK

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 06 May 2005 13:23:51 GMT, "Paul Kersey" <Paul
(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Got talked into a short-term project recently that required a skill set I as
>yet don't have. Recruiter was anxious to get the postion filled. It was
>pretty humilating. (Basically, got kicked from the project.)
>The thing that really got me, was the hit my confidence took. Since I got my
>A+/Network+ work has been piece meal and not always in the same areas.
>Experience seems to be hard to come by or maybe I'm not trying hard enough.
>
>What's a good way to keep the skills sharp and confidence high, when the
>work is not consistent?
>What makes a good Tech?
>
>PK

Lateral thinking/thinking outside the box. When it isn't the
usual/obvious, you sometimes almost have to turn into Sherlock Holmes.

Willingness to learn and study.

Tom

me

knowing what questions to ask

AG

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:MBBfe.7369$(E-Mail Removed)...
> knowing what questions to ask

And after you ask the question know what the answer means as far as the
computer is concerned.

AG