Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > CMOS not saving Partition

CMOS not saving Partition

bopper2

I've revived an old 95 box and put an old 250MBHD in (I know it's
good, was able to partition and format on an XP). When I start setup,
BIOS auto detects Ok. Save settings and reboot to A:. Fdisk primary
partion and everthing is going smooth. Make it active and that's ok.
The problem is when I reboot to format FAT 16, there is no drive C!
I've tried every way from Sunday to figure out what's going on.
Reset BIOS, Etc. There is a secondary problem with finding the
CDrom, but I've got the Oakcdrom.sys and have edited Config.sys and
Autoexec.bat and the drivers are found but the drive itself can't be
found. I'm summizing this is because a drive C has not been
established by BIOS. There is no practical reason to get this box up.
I'm just going through MM's All-in-One
exam guide and wanted to surf around 95 again.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

bopper2

> Jasonwrote:
It shouldnt be a bios problem as the partitions as there held on the
hard
> drive nothing to do with bios, more than likley a faulty hard drive

or
> motherboard.
> On the other hand has the bios got onboard virus detection as

sometimes ive
> seen this stop it writing a parttition table to the hard drive ,

even if it
> says its has.
> Has the cdrom drive been detected in the bios at all ?
>
> Misstated "established by BIOS" just meant C: being established on

the
> drive. I did mention that the drive is good. How would this be a

MOBO issue? IDE Controller? Virus detection has been disabled. Cd is
not detected (it's an old 95 MOBO. Must establish connection with
startup disk.
> I have done this but I think because drive c is not assigned, drive

d can't be assigned either. Thanks for your response. Any further
info would be appreciated.

> "bopper2" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in

message
> news:a3bbb$42784592$455da0d2$12853@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> I've revived an old 95 box and put an old 250MBHD in (I know it's
> good, was able to partition and format on an XP). When I start

setup,
> BIOS auto detects Ok. Save settings and reboot to A:. Fdisk primary
> partion and everthing is going smooth. Make it active and that's

ok.
> The problem is when I reboot to format FAT 16, there is no drive C!
> I've tried every way from Sunday to figure out what's going on.
> Reset BIOS, Etc. There is a secondary problem with finding the
> CDrom, but I've got the Oakcdrom.sys and have edited Config.sys and
> Autoexec.bat and the drivers are found but the drive itself can't

be
> found. I'm summizing this is because a drive C has not been
> established by BIOS. There is no practical reason to get this box

up.
> I'm just going through MM's All-in-One
> exam guide and wanted to surf around 95 again.
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
> [/quote:842a90c4e4]

AG

Are you using a Win95 boot disk?

AG
"bopper2" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:e74ae$42786298$455da0d2$21937@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> > Jasonwrote:

> It shouldnt be a bios problem as the partitions as there held on the
> hard
> > drive nothing to do with bios, more than likley a faulty hard drive

> or
> > motherboard.
> > On the other hand has the bios got onboard virus detection as

> sometimes ive
> > seen this stop it writing a parttition table to the hard drive ,

> even if it
> > says its has.
> > Has the cdrom drive been detected in the bios at all ?
> >
> > Misstated "established by BIOS" just meant C: being established on

> the
> > drive. I did mention that the drive is good. How would this be a

> MOBO issue? IDE Controller? Virus detection has been disabled. Cd is
> not detected (it's an old 95 MOBO. Must establish connection with
> startup disk.
> > I have done this but I think because drive c is not assigned, drive

> d can't be assigned either. Thanks for your response. Any further
> info would be appreciated.
> >

> > "bopper2" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in

> message
> > news:a3bbb$42784592$455da0d2$12853@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> > I've revived an old 95 box and put an old 250MBHD in (I know it's
> > good, was able to partition and format on an XP). When I start

> setup,
> > BIOS auto detects Ok. Save settings and reboot to A:. Fdisk primary
> > partion and everthing is going smooth. Make it active and that's

> ok.
> > The problem is when I reboot to format FAT 16, there is no drive C!
> > I've tried every way from Sunday to figure out what's going on.
> > Reset BIOS, Etc. There is a secondary problem with finding the
> > CDrom, but I've got the Oakcdrom.sys and have edited Config.sys and
> > Autoexec.bat and the drivers are found but the drive itself can't

> be
> > found. I'm summizing this is because a drive C has not been
> > established by BIOS. There is no practical reason to get this box

> up.
> > I'm just going through MM's All-in-One
> > exam guide and wanted to surf around 95 again.
> > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
> > [/quote:842a90c4e4]

bopper2

Yes I am using a modified 95 startup disk. I've copied mscdex.sys and
oakcdrom.sys to it as well as modified the config and autoexec. I've
tried a 98 boot disk as well. Still not saving a c partition on the
drive. My cmos/bios comments previously are mentioned because I'm
wondering if BIOS doesn't see drive c, the startup disk aborts the
boot because it can't find drive d (cdrom) and returns to the a
prompt ready to start all over again. The headscratcher here is why
the created partition and active partition in fdisk do not survive
reboot!

bopper2

Appreciate your response, however if you read the first line you'll
notice it's a 250 MB drive. It is good and has been formatted in an
xp environment. No data is on the drive. I'm not concerned with data
loss.
It has been partitioned as normal not LBA. FDISK reports 243 MB for
partition and reports a successful partition and activation. It just
will not show up as drive c after reboot. Yes, I have tried format c:
/s. Still get the message "invalid drive specification"

the_angry_monkey

IS there any way to format the drive on another computer then use it?

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 05 May 2005 16:11:55 GMT, Barry Watzman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The point is still being missed.
>
>This was stated as being "an old Windows 95 box". Old computers cannot
>deal with drives larger than 137 (decimal) gigabytes.
>
>PERIOD.

To requote...
>"notice it's a 250 >>>MB<<< drive".

Tom

bopper2

Thank you Tom! It is 250 MB (megabyte) The box used to have a 1.6 GB
in it. So I know the hardware will support 250MB. I might try two
partitions though. J

bopper2

Appreciate eveyone's input here, but I'm moving on. I've got my hands
on a 500MHz MOBO with 128MB ram for a few bucks and will use that for
my new sandbox for Win98. Good riddens 95! The issue here, I think, is
the hook from the using the 95 startup disk to fdisk and when
rebooting looks for Win95 on the cd..can't find drive D, so aborts
the process and goes back to the A prompt to do it all over again. It
sounds wierd, but I can partition this drive on any 98 or xp machine
just fine. It was a good exercise to play with, but not a real world
scenario..at least I hope..that I will have to deal with in the
field.

Tom MacIntyre

On Thu, 05 May 2005 20:10:55 GMT, Barry Watzman
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Ok, my bad.

Been there and done that too.

Tom