Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Hard Drive Adapters?

Hard Drive Adapters?

Dave Hardenbrook

I want to offer services to my clients to backup their hard drives, once
I've convinced them of the importance of doing so. However some of them
have no removable media besides the floppy drive (not even a CD-RW), and
I currently can't afford a USB tape drive or other drive with which I
could temporarily hook up to their system to backup to. I do however
have a working 8GB IDE hard drive stripped from my old system.

I have seen in the stores these adapter devices for $70 or so that
promise to turn an IDE hard drive into an external USB drive. It occurs
to me that this could be an economical solution to providing backups for
my clients until I can afford something more sophisticated. But my
question is, do these IDE-to-USB devices actually work, acceptably
enough for backup purposes??

--
Dave

kronos1962@yahoo.com

I got one off ebay for .99 cents. Work well. Allways check ebay for
things like that.

the_angry_monkey

Honest Advice? If you want to create a proper business service you
need to get some variety of tape backup device (or other backup) for
the following reasons:

* An 8 GB HDD will not last very long if you have more than one
client
* A single HDD offers no data redundancy and therefore little
security
* A single HDD is prone to crashing and losing ALL you backup data
* You cannot store the HDD securely (and in a fireproof place) if you
are carting it around to each and every backup
* It just looks more professional

You can easily get low capacity (4GB) Travan Tape drives for less than
25 on ebay...you might want to chack them out. Backup is a very risky
area to dabble in if your equipment is not up to the job

AG

My USB CDRW cost me less than $40 US a couple of years ago. Look around.
The one I have even works under Knoppix.

AG
"Dave Hardenbrook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> I want to offer services to my clients to backup their hard drives, once
> I've convinced them of the importance of doing so. However some of them
> have no removable media besides the floppy drive (not even a CD-RW), and
> I currently can't afford a USB tape drive or other drive with which I
> could temporarily hook up to their system to backup to. I do however
> have a working 8GB IDE hard drive stripped from my old system.
>
> I have seen in the stores these adapter devices for $70 or so that
> promise to turn an IDE hard drive into an external USB drive. It occurs
> to me that this could be an economical solution to providing backups for
> my clients until I can afford something more sophisticated. But my
> question is, do these IDE-to-USB devices actually work, acceptably
> enough for backup purposes??
>
> --
> Dave

Dave Hardenbrook

Thanks to everyone for the responses.

I should clarify that it was never my intention to use my spare HD for
*permanently* storing my clients' backups -- Only until I could get it
back home and transfer it to CD-R or RW on my own system. But maybe I
should just save a step and invest in an external CD or DVD burner?

I will say that I used to have a parallel burner (a Backpack Rewriter)
and had nothing but trouble with it. Are the USB burners more reliable?

the_angry_monkey

Another option of course is to build a special backup pc in a shuttle
box with just a DVD-R/CD-R, and space for a customer HDD as well as
an OS. If you could find some way of placing all the necessary
conenectors so they are easy to access you could do full speed
backups to your own pc and then later transfer to CD/DVD