Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Need audio driver, but I don't know the chipset

Need audio driver, but I don't know the chipset

abc123

I'm install win98 on a system, and win98 did not detect the built in
audio.

Is there any utility, or something, that might detect the audio
chipset, so I can find a driver? I'm thinking about booting the system
from a knoppix cd. Would that work?

Captain Lon

Is it 'on board' audio, on the motherboard? If so, go to the website of the
mobo manufacturer to look for the proper driver. Or I guess the same advice
applies if it is an expansion card, in which event you go to the
manufacturer of the sound card for the driver download.

The Belarc advisor might be able to help you. It can tell you the
manufacturer and model number of various components within the computer. It
is free: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

If you are unable to get it to work at all, install a new sound expansion
card. They are not very expensive. Here is one for $11.00.
http://tinyurl.com/78our

I hope that helps.

--
Captain Lon

All your base are belong to us.

"abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm install win98 on a system, and win98 did not detect the built in
> audio.
>
> Is there any utility, or something, that might detect the audio
> chipset, so I can find a driver? I'm thinking about booting the system
> from a knoppix cd. Would that work?

Chris Evans

A utility called AIDA32 can help you find the info you need also.

"abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm install win98 on a system, and win98 did not detect the built in
> audio.
>
> Is there any utility, or something, that might detect the audio
> chipset, so I can find a driver? I'm thinking about booting the system
> from a knoppix cd. Would that work?

returnoftheyeti@aol.com

Aida32 is no longer made, its Everest Home edition now.

PCItree works good too, as does Belarc.

rb@g

Also CPU-Z, which can be run from CD or floppy and needs no installation on
the user's PC

(A+OS exam on Friday - wish me luck)

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Aida32 is no longer made, its Everest Home edition now.
>
> PCItree works good too, as does Belarc.

abc123

Thanks for all the replies. I did solve the problem.

My idea to use knoppix worked, I thought of that while I was typing the
original message. Still it's good to know about the other utilities.

As to Belarc, I don't know, but I thought belarc would only find stuff
that is properly installed. I thought belarc only viewed the windows
installation files, it doesn't examine your hardware.

I don't have any docs on the system. As such, finding the mother
manufacturer is not always an easy thing. Some mobo makers, like asus,
put their name and modle on the the mobo. Usually the more generic
brands don't bother with that.