Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > cdrom opens, and immediately closes

cdrom opens, and immediately closes

AG

"capoeira360" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:42112$426dc7c1$455da0d2$13396@allthenewsgroup s.com...
> Hi,
> (sorry for stealing the thread but I didn't know if it would be right
> to start a new one)
>
> I've read over the thread and I wanted to see if I could get help for
> a similar problem. I have been trying to fix a CD-RW drive that will
> not stop opening and closing. It does it every few seconds without a
> disk in, and then slows down a little when a disk is incserted, but
> it will not stop long enough to read the disk.
>
> I realize that it is probably a hardware malfunction, so I was
> wondering if anyone knows any way to disable, or turn off the drive
> until I can get a replacement.
>
> Thanks so much for your help

Just unplug the power to the drive. Open the case and remove the power
plug. It won't hurt anything but you won't have a CDROM but since it
doesn't work any way you haven't lost anything.

AG

capoeira360

Hi again folks,

Thanks so much for the suggestions. I opened the computer up and
unplugged the 4 pin power connector for the CD-RW drive. This seems
to have disabled both my DVD-Rom and CD-RW drives. When I powered up,
it said it could not locate the primary and secondary drives.
Afterwards, neither drive showed on the device manager.

Does anyone know a way I can cut power from just the CD-RW drive,
while leaving the DVD Rom drive fully functioning? And has anyone
ever heard of a CD drive just opening and closing, non-stop, anytime
the computer is powered?

Thanks again

Breedo

I take it your CD-RW and DVD were attached on the same IDE cable with the
CD-RW connected as the primary and DVD the slave. Just unplug the IDE cable
from the CD-RW and plug that connector into the DVD. The end connector is
for the primary drive and the middle connector is for the slave. Also check
if there are any jumpers on the drive for primary/slave settings.

Good luck!
-Breedo_

news:4b1ec$42713068$455da0d2$11164@allthenewsgroup s.com...