Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > cdrom opens, and immediately closes

cdrom opens, and immediately closes

abc123

This happen whether I am running the OS or not. For example, if press
<DEL> during bootup, and I go into the bios settings, and press the
cdrom's open button, the cdrom will open and immediately close. If I
let the maching boot into windows-98, right-click on the cdrom, and
chose eject, the cdrom will open and immediately close.

If I move very fast, I can put a cd into the tray. In that case, the
cdrom will read the cd just fine.

The cdrom is on it's own ribbon cable. I have tried setting the cdrom
to master, then cable-select, then slave, the cdrom does the same thing
on any setting.

I have tried putting a different cdrom in the place of the troublesome
cdrom, and the different cdrom works fine.

Is it just a bad cdrom?

BTW: I was replacing a bad power-supply for a friend. I think the cdrom
was working before the power-supply took a dump.

Any ideas?

Tom MacIntyre

On 10 Apr 2005 16:13:11 -0700, "abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This happen whether I am running the OS or not. For example, if press
><DEL> during bootup, and I go into the bios settings, and press the
>cdrom's open button, the cdrom will open and immediately close. If I
>let the maching boot into windows-98, right-click on the cdrom, and
>chose eject, the cdrom will open and immediately close.
>
>If I move very fast, I can put a cd into the tray. In that case, the
>cdrom will read the cd just fine.
>
>The cdrom is on it's own ribbon cable. I have tried setting the cdrom
>to master, then cable-select, then slave, the cdrom does the same thing
>on any setting.
>
>I have tried putting a different cdrom in the place of the troublesome
>cdrom, and the different cdrom works fine.
>
>Is it just a bad cdrom?
>
>BTW: I was replacing a bad power-supply for a friend. I think the cdrom
>was working before the power-supply took a dump.
>
>Any ideas?

There's a guy in the sci.electronics.repair group with a similar
problem to yours, and this is the one reply that he has received (see
below). The thread is entitled "cd-rom reader repair hint : door
doesn't open"

Well you should look at the FAQ for CD repair at
http://www.repairfaq.org

Realize that there are two switches inside the drive. One tells the
electronics that the door is open, the other that it is closed.
If one of those switches has gone bad, or are somehow not be activated
when they are supposed to, the electronics won't know the state of
the door. Then it can't decide whether it should be operating the
motor to open the door, or operate the motor to close the door, or
just sit there.

Michael

abc123

To me, that means replace the cdrom. They only cost about $25.

Tom MacIntyre wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2005 16:13:11 -0700, "abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >This happen whether I am running the OS or not. For example, if

press
> ><DEL> during bootup, and I go into the bios settings, and press the
> >cdrom's open button, the cdrom will open and immediately close. If I
> >let the maching boot into windows-98, right-click on the cdrom, and
> >chose eject, the cdrom will open and immediately close.
> >
> >If I move very fast, I can put a cd into the tray. In that case, the
> >cdrom will read the cd just fine.
> >
> >The cdrom is on it's own ribbon cable. I have tried setting the

cdrom
> >to master, then cable-select, then slave, the cdrom does the same

thing
> >on any setting.
> >
> >I have tried putting a different cdrom in the place of the

troublesome
> >cdrom, and the different cdrom works fine.
> >
> >Is it just a bad cdrom?
> >
> >BTW: I was replacing a bad power-supply for a friend. I think the

cdrom
> >was working before the power-supply took a dump.
> >
> >Any ideas?

> There's a guy in the sci.electronics.repair group with a similar
> problem to yours, and this is the one reply that he has received (see
> below). The thread is entitled "cd-rom reader repair hint : door
> doesn't open"
>
> Well you should look at the FAQ for CD repair at
> http://www.repairfaq.org
>
> Realize that there are two switches inside the drive. One tells the
> electronics that the door is open, the other that it is closed.
> If one of those switches has gone bad, or are somehow not be

activated
> when they are supposed to, the electronics won't know the state of
> the door. Then it can't decide whether it should be operating the
> motor to open the door, or operate the motor to close the door, or
> just sit there.
>
> Michael

Patrick Michael

"abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> To me, that means replace the cdrom. They only cost about $25.

16X DVD +/- dual-layer burners are only $50...might use it as an excuse to
upgrade.

Tom MacIntyre

On 11 Apr 2005 15:40:57 -0700, "abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>To me, that means replace the cdrom. They only cost about $25.

Right, unless you like to tinker with broken stuff.

Tom

>Tom MacIntyre wrote:
>> On 10 Apr 2005 16:13:11 -0700, "abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >This happen whether I am running the OS or not. For example, if

>press
>> ><DEL> during bootup, and I go into the bios settings, and press the
>> >cdrom's open button, the cdrom will open and immediately close. If I
>> >let the maching boot into windows-98, right-click on the cdrom, and
>> >chose eject, the cdrom will open and immediately close.
>> >
>> >If I move very fast, I can put a cd into the tray. In that case, the
>> >cdrom will read the cd just fine.
>> >
>> >The cdrom is on it's own ribbon cable. I have tried setting the

>cdrom
>> >to master, then cable-select, then slave, the cdrom does the same

>thing
>> >on any setting.
>> >
>> >I have tried putting a different cdrom in the place of the

>troublesome
>> >cdrom, and the different cdrom works fine.
>> >
>> >Is it just a bad cdrom?
>> >
>> >BTW: I was replacing a bad power-supply for a friend. I think the

>cdrom
>> >was working before the power-supply took a dump.
>> >
>> >Any ideas?

>> There's a guy in the sci.electronics.repair group with a similar
>> problem to yours, and this is the one reply that he has received (see
>> below). The thread is entitled "cd-rom reader repair hint : door
>> doesn't open"
>>
>> Well you should look at the FAQ for CD repair at
>> http://www.repairfaq.org
>>
>> Realize that there are two switches inside the drive. One tells the
>> electronics that the door is open, the other that it is closed.
>> If one of those switches has gone bad, or are somehow not be

>activated
>> when they are supposed to, the electronics won't know the state of
>> the door. Then it can't decide whether it should be operating the
>> motor to open the door, or operate the motor to close the door, or
>> just sit there.
>>
>> Michael

j00stj3

I would say the cd-rom drive is faulty, maybe just a loose screw,
or maybe some electrical part got fried when the psu died (some kind of
peak?)

Anyway, I'd toss that thing in a dark corner and trie another one!.

Greetz,

Joost
"abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> This happen whether I am running the OS or not. For example, if press
> <DEL> during bootup, and I go into the bios settings, and press the
> cdrom's open button, the cdrom will open and immediately close. If I
> let the maching boot into windows-98, right-click on the cdrom, and
> chose eject, the cdrom will open and immediately close.
>
> If I move very fast, I can put a cd into the tray. In that case, the
> cdrom will read the cd just fine.
>
> The cdrom is on it's own ribbon cable. I have tried setting the cdrom
> to master, then cable-select, then slave, the cdrom does the same thing
> on any setting.
>
> I have tried putting a different cdrom in the place of the troublesome
> cdrom, and the different cdrom works fine.
>
> Is it just a bad cdrom?
>
> BTW: I was replacing a bad power-supply for a friend. I think the cdrom
> was working before the power-supply took a dump.
>
> Any ideas?

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:05:52 GMT, Tom MacIntyre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 11 Apr 2005 15:40:57 -0700, "abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>To me, that means replace the cdrom. They only cost about $25.

>Right, unless you like to tinker with broken stuff.
>
>Tom

The guy in the other group pulled a gear and pulley and then put the
originals back. The unit is now working.

Tom

AG

"j00stj3" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:rwV6e.6637$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would say the cd-rom drive is faulty, maybe just a loose screw,
> or maybe some electrical part got fried when the psu died (some kind of
> peak?)
>
> Anyway, I'd toss that thing in a dark corner and trie another one!.
>
> Greetz,

I used to have one like that that I kept in a server. We didn't need the
drive much so it didn't matter.

AG

Chris Evans

And some damn good Sonys and Lite-On DVD +/- dual-layer burners have dropped
under $100 with the Nero suite included. Why stop at 16X?

Chris
A+, Net+

"Patrick Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "abc123" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> To me, that means replace the cdrom. They only cost about $25.

> 16X DVD +/- dual-layer burners are only $50...might use it as an excuse to
> upgrade.

capoeira360

Hi,
(sorry for stealing the thread but I didn't know if it would be right
to start a new one)

I've read over the thread and I wanted to see if I could get help for
a similar problem. I have been trying to fix a CD-RW drive that will
not stop opening and closing. It does it every few seconds without a
disk in, and then slows down a little when a disk is incserted, but
it will not stop long enough to read the disk.

I realize that it is probably a hardware malfunction, so I was
wondering if anyone knows any way to disable, or turn off the drive
until I can get a replacement.

Thanks so much for your help