Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > USB flash drive as a field repair tool?

USB flash drive as a field repair tool?

du ah

anyone use a USB flash drive as a field repair tool and what apps,pgms
do you add to it?

Nocturnal

YES! Spyware removal programs and Firefox to name a few.
"du ah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> anyone use a USB flash drive as a field repair tool and what apps,pgms
> do you add to it?

Spammy Sammy

"du ah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> anyone use a USB flash drive as a field repair tool and what apps,pgms
> do you add to it?

Yes. Simply load it with what you need for a particular circumstance.

AG

I've never thought of PuTTy as a repair tool. I do use SSH when I'm booting
Knoppix but I've never used PuTTy.
What do you use it for?

AG

"Adam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Nocturnal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:MDK1e.58594$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > YES! Spyware removal programs and Firefox to name a few.
> > "du ah" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >> anyone use a USB flash drive as a field repair tool and what apps,pgms
> >> do you add to it?
> >>

> Ditto on the Spyware removal (spybot s&d, hijack this, cwshredder, etc.)

and
> Firefox
> a few others:
> Winrar
> Winsock fix
> Putty (a must)

StuffJustHappens

du ah wrote:
> anyone use a USB flash drive as a field repair tool and what apps,pgms
> do you add to it?

AVG Free antivirus
All the usual spyware stuff (spybot, adaware, hijaakthis)
TrojanHunter
ZipCentral (free zip/unzip tool)
Firefox + flash installer + shockwave installer
Sysinternals tools
Acrobat reader
OpenOffice
WinsockXPFix.exe
SpamBayes
Mozilla Thunderbird
Putty
Skype
UltraVNC
msrdpcli.exe (microsoft remote desktop client)
ZoneAlarm free edition
Latest Java VM
Regclean
Various software registration key viewers
Netware client kits
..EXE files to make a DOS 6.22 and Win98SE boot floppy
ccleaner
Everesthome151.exe (excellent system hardware/software information
finder/viewer)

That's about 350MB on a 500MB PNY flash drive WITH A WRITE PROTECT
SWITCH to ensure it doesn't get contaminated if I plug it into a machine
with a virus etc.

As I sometimes work on machines running NT4 (no USB support), I also
take with me a CD-ROM containing the same stuff.

StuffJustHappens

du ah wrote:

> anyone use a USB flash drive as a field repair tool and what apps,pgms
> do you add to it?

Further to my previous post - you might want to have a look at:

http://www.flashlinux.org.uk/

http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

http://loosewire.typepad.com/blog/20...ctory_of_.html

http://www.no-install.com/

AG

"StuffJustHappens" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:424b13f2$0$5476$(E-Mail Removed)...
> du ah wrote:
>
> > anyone use a USB flash drive as a field repair tool and what apps,pgms
> > do you add to it?
> >

> Further to my previous post - you might want to have a look at:
>
> http://www.flashlinux.org.uk/
>
> http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/
>
> http://loosewire.typepad.com/blog/20...ctory_of_.html
>
> http://www.no-install.com/

There are some very good utilities at no-install. Thanks for that link.

AG