Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > letter assignments

letter assignments

Mike

I'm unclear about automatic letter assignments. If I have three hard drives
and a CD-ROM all connected to the motherboard as below.

Primary - Master 6 GB HD

- Slave CD-ROM

Secondary - Master 8 GB HD

- Slave 10 GB HD

Would they automatically be assigned:

C: 6 GB HD

D: CD-ROM

E: 8 GB HD

F: 10 GB HD

- or -

C: 6 GB HD

D: 8 GB HD

E: 10 GB HD

F: CD-ROM

Thanks for your help,

Mike

AG

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm unclear about automatic letter assignments. If I have three hard

drives
> and a CD-ROM all connected to the motherboard as below.
>
> Primary - Master 6 GB HD
>
> - Slave CD-ROM
>
> Secondary - Master 8 GB HD
>
> - Slave 10 GB HD
>
> Would they automatically be assigned:
>
> C: 6 GB HD
>
> D: CD-ROM
>
> E: 8 GB HD
>
> F: 10 GB HD
>
> - or -
>
> C: 6 GB HD
>
> D: 8 GB HD
>
> E: 10 GB HD
>
> F: CD-ROM
>

> Thanks for your help,
>

> Mike

Hard drives get their letters first. My system has 8 gig primary master HD
C: 60 gig HD Secondary Master D: CDROM Primary slave E: and CDROM Secondary
slave F:

AG

Mike

Thanks AG,
If I had four hard drive would the order of letter assignments be:
Primary Master (C, Primary Slave (D, Secondary Master (E and Secondary
Slave (F
- or -
Primary Master (C, Secondary Master(D, Primary Slave (E, and
Secondary Slave (F
Thanks, Mike

"AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4237083c$0$79480$(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm unclear about automatic letter assignments. If I have three hard

> drives
>> and a CD-ROM all connected to the motherboard as below.
>>
>> Primary - Master 6 GB HD
>>
>> - Slave CD-ROM
>>
>> Secondary - Master 8 GB HD
>>
>> - Slave 10 GB HD
>>
>> Would they automatically be assigned:
>>
>> C: 6 GB HD
>>
>> D: CD-ROM
>>
>> E: 8 GB HD
>>
>> F: 10 GB HD
>>
>> - or -
>>
>> C: 6 GB HD
>>
>> D: 8 GB HD
>>
>> E: 10 GB HD
>>
>> F: CD-ROM
>>

>> Thanks for your help,
>>

>> Mike
>>

> Hard drives get their letters first. My system has 8 gig primary master
> HD
> C: 60 gig HD Secondary Master D: CDROM Primary slave E: and CDROM
> Secondary
> slave F:
>
> AG

Tom MacIntyre

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:22:54 GMT, "Billy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks AG,

>The second option

Hmmm...I am not around this stuff much these days, but I think that
it's the first option that is correct. However, with multiple
partitions what you suggest is true, I think; the extended partitions'
logical drives are ordered after primary partitions. I am really
afraid to trust my memory these days, though...

Tom

>> Primary Master (C, Secondary Master(D, Primary Slave (E, and
>> Secondary Slave (F
>> Thanks, Mike
>>

>> "AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:4237083c$0$79480$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>hard
>> > drives

>> > Hard drives get their letters first. My system has 8 gig primary

>master
>> > HD
>> > C: 60 gig HD Secondary Master D: CDROM Primary slave E: and CDROM
>> > Secondary
>> > slave F:
>> >
>> > AG

Spammy Sammy

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> C: 6 GB HD
>
> D: 8 GB HD
>
> E: 10 GB HD
>
> F: CD-ROM

As I understand your scenario the above answer is correct. It gets a bit
more complex when dealing with drives that have multiple partitions. In this
case the primary partitions get letters allocated first, then the logical
partitions.

This link might help explain further
http://www.pcplus.co.uk/tips/default...ubsectionid=91