Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Same question, one more time please

Reply
Thread Tools

Same question, one more time please

 
 
Frank
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
2 computer home wireless network with 1 desktop winxp pro sp2 hardwired to
router and 1 laptop win xp pro sp2 .
Online banking done "only from the desktop"
soon to be-Wireless-WAP enabled, all security options to the Max using
Linksys WRT54GS and WPC54G notebook card
At present I feel very safe using a belkin router(all wired) I already have
the linksys wireless stuff and a ton of good security info, mostly from this
NG.
OK, How safe can I feel going wireless as stated above compared to the wired
setup? Just opinions would help melt my wall of paranoia.
Thansk so much
Frank


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
My own opinion:

For EG Internet Banking, so long as the site itself is secured with SSL then
you are safe - even on an Open wireless link because the data between your
web browser and the bank is encrypted using SSL and most likely 128 bit
encryption. Double click the padlock icon on the status bar in IE next time
you are logged on to read about the level of security your bank is serving
you.

For normal data flows between machines, it depends on what security you have
implemented on the wireless link and what value there is in the data.

If you are using an Open connection, then the answer is obvious - anyone
that wants to go to the effort can watch your traffic.

Using a WEP link, they will need to expend some effort.

Using a WPA link, they will need to go to concerted effort.

Using 802.1x configured with appropriate encryption, they will need a
supercomputer or two.

Why do I refer to the value of the data? As soon as effort is required to
break into a link, the amount of time and resources a person is willing to
spend will have some value known to them which they will anticipate will be
less than the value of the data they gain. IE they make a profit: you won't
spend $1,000,000 breaking into a data stream to find $10 worth of data. You
would if the data represented 100 times more value than the cost of the
break in.

Burglars are lazy. Very lazy. They don't bother with hard jobs 'cos there
are so many easy ones out there. Then there are the hackers.... They break
in for the challenge, but hackers seem to prefer to break into links that
will gain them reputation, credibility, or notoriety. If they go for profit,
then they are not hackers... (IMHO).

Most peoples data is most of the time of no interest to anyone other than
themselves.

2 cents.



"Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>2 computer home wireless network with 1 desktop winxp pro sp2 hardwired to
>router and 1 laptop win xp pro sp2 .
> Online banking done "only from the desktop"
> soon to be-Wireless-WAP enabled, all security options to the Max using
> Linksys WRT54GS and WPC54G notebook card
> At present I feel very safe using a belkin router(all wired) I already
> have the linksys wireless stuff and a ton of good security info, mostly
> from this NG.
> OK, How safe can I feel going wireless as stated above compared to the
> wired setup? Just opinions would help melt my wall of paranoia.
> Thansk so much
> Frank
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Frank
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
Tim,
Thanks so much for such an in depth answer.
> If you are using an Open connection, then the answer is obvious - anyone
> that wants to go to the effort can watch your traffic

What do you mean by open connection in this context?
I plan (if I go ahead with this) to take every step downloaded from numerous
sources about wireless security. So, my thief I believe would have to work.
It's just that I really could use the convenience , but on the other hand i
am just trying to get opinions before I take a chance with my family funds.
No great amounts here, below average I am sure, but for us, it's a bundle.
Thanks again Tim





"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My own opinion:
>
> For EG Internet Banking, so long as the site itself is secured with SSL
> then you are safe - even on an Open wireless link because the data between
> your web browser and the bank is encrypted using SSL and most likely 128
> bit encryption. Double click the padlock icon on the status bar in IE next
> time you are logged on to read about the level of security your bank is
> serving you.
>
> For normal data flows between machines, it depends on what security you
> have implemented on the wireless link and what value there is in the data.
>
> If you are using an Open connection, then the answer is obvious - anyone
> that wants to go to the effort can watch your traffic.
>
> Using a WEP link, they will need to expend some effort.
>
> Using a WPA link, they will need to go to concerted effort.
>
> Using 802.1x configured with appropriate encryption, they will need a
> supercomputer or two.
>
> Why do I refer to the value of the data? As soon as effort is required to
> break into a link, the amount of time and resources a person is willing to
> spend will have some value known to them which they will anticipate will
> be less than the value of the data they gain. IE they make a profit: you
> won't spend $1,000,000 breaking into a data stream to find $10 worth of
> data. You would if the data represented 100 times more value than the cost
> of the break in.
>
> Burglars are lazy. Very lazy. They don't bother with hard jobs 'cos there
> are so many easy ones out there. Then there are the hackers.... They break
> in for the challenge, but hackers seem to prefer to break into links that
> will gain them reputation, credibility, or notoriety. If they go for
> profit, then they are not hackers... (IMHO).
>
> Most peoples data is most of the time of no interest to anyone other than
> themselves.
>
> 2 cents.
>
>
>
> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>2 computer home wireless network with 1 desktop winxp pro sp2 hardwired to
>>router and 1 laptop win xp pro sp2 .
>> Online banking done "only from the desktop"
>> soon to be-Wireless-WAP enabled, all security options to the Max using
>> Linksys WRT54GS and WPC54G notebook card
>> At present I feel very safe using a belkin router(all wired) I already
>> have the linksys wireless stuff and a ton of good security info, mostly
>> from this NG.
>> OK, How safe can I feel going wireless as stated above compared to the
>> wired setup? Just opinions would help melt my wall of paranoia.
>> Thansk so much
>> Frank
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Frank
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      06-05-2005
Oh, my bank, SSL-128bit
Frank L

"Tim" <Tim@NoSpam> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My own opinion:
>
> For EG Internet Banking, so long as the site itself is secured with SSL
> then you are safe - even on an Open wireless link because the data between
> your web browser and the bank is encrypted using SSL and most likely 128
> bit encryption. Double click the padlock icon on the status bar in IE next
> time you are logged on to read about the level of security your bank is
> serving you.
>
> For normal data flows between machines, it depends on what security you
> have implemented on the wireless link and what value there is in the data.
>
> If you are using an Open connection, then the answer is obvious - anyone
> that wants to go to the effort can watch your traffic.
>
> Using a WEP link, they will need to expend some effort.
>
> Using a WPA link, they will need to go to concerted effort.
>
> Using 802.1x configured with appropriate encryption, they will need a
> supercomputer or two.
>
> Why do I refer to the value of the data? As soon as effort is required to
> break into a link, the amount of time and resources a person is willing to
> spend will have some value known to them which they will anticipate will
> be less than the value of the data they gain. IE they make a profit: you
> won't spend $1,000,000 breaking into a data stream to find $10 worth of
> data. You would if the data represented 100 times more value than the cost
> of the break in.
>
> Burglars are lazy. Very lazy. They don't bother with hard jobs 'cos there
> are so many easy ones out there. Then there are the hackers.... They break
> in for the challenge, but hackers seem to prefer to break into links that
> will gain them reputation, credibility, or notoriety. If they go for
> profit, then they are not hackers... (IMHO).
>
> Most peoples data is most of the time of no interest to anyone other than
> themselves.
>
> 2 cents.
>
>
>
> "Frank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>2 computer home wireless network with 1 desktop winxp pro sp2 hardwired to
>>router and 1 laptop win xp pro sp2 .
>> Online banking done "only from the desktop"
>> soon to be-Wireless-WAP enabled, all security options to the Max using
>> Linksys WRT54GS and WPC54G notebook card
>> At present I feel very safe using a belkin router(all wired) I already
>> have the linksys wireless stuff and a ton of good security info, mostly
>> from this NG.
>> OK, How safe can I feel going wireless as stated above compared to the
>> wired setup? Just opinions would help melt my wall of paranoia.
>> Thansk so much
>> Frank
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can one declare more than one signal on one line? Merciadri Luca VHDL 4 11-01-2010 02:00 PM
Is time.time() < time.time() always true? flamesrock Python 8 11-24-2006 06:51 AM
How to start more than one process at the same time? Dirk Hagemann Python 3 07-14-2006 07:33 PM
more than one login at a time from the same machine Balaji ASP .Net 7 04-28-2006 04:03 PM
Upload or download more than one files at the same time =?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?= ASP .Net 1 05-23-2005 07:43 PM



Advertisments