Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > need a utility

need a utility

Michael

This is the second time that I supposedly made an exact duplicate copy of my
old hard drive to a new one, using the hard drive manufacturer's utility.
Both times I did it, there were enough copy failures to make some programs,
like those in Microsoft Office to be inoperable. (Why don't those utilities
really make an exact copy?) Eventually, I find that some files did not
copy and I have to manually copy them.

Does anyone know of a utility that I can compare the 2 drives after the copy
process and determine differences?

mhaase-at-springmind.com

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:40:16 -0800 , "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>This is the second time that I supposedly made an exact duplicate copy of my
>old hard drive to a new one, using the hard drive manufacturer's utility.
>Both times I did it, there were enough copy failures to make some programs,
>like those in Microsoft Office to be inoperable. (Why don't those utilities
>really make an exact copy?) Eventually, I find that some files did not
>copy and I have to manually copy them.
>
>Does anyone know of a utility that I can compare the 2 drives after the copy
>process and determine differences?

What utility are you using to make the copies?

Michael

I used the utility that comes with the HD on both occasions. The first time
with a Maxtor HD, the second with a Western Digital HD.

"Rightard Whitey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:On6Xd.131041$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> If you use the manufacturer's Xcopy program, you should have no problems.
> All HD manufacturers provide these with the HD. You can also download
> these utilities form their web sites. I have never experienced this
> problem.

Michael

I used the utility that comes with the HD (on a CD) on both occasions. The
first time with a Maxtor HD, the second with a Western Digital HD.

"mhaase-at-springmind.com" <mhaase-at-springmind.com@> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What utility are you using to make the copies?

Need file recovery utility that doesnt need admin access to PC BertieBigBollox@gmail.com Computer Support 1 09-17-2009 09:33 AM
I need a utility to print folder names to notepad. Ryan Computer Support 13 05-20-2008 06:44 PM
help need Microsoft Broadband Network Utility Software!!!! =?Utf-8?B?QmxhZGVtYXN0ZXI=?= Wireless Networking 0 08-20-2005 03:29 PM
Need a password utility SAH HTML 3 11-12-2003 07:02 PM
Need Suggestion for Free Undelete Utility TinCanMan Computer Support 9 09-20-2003 04:10 AM

Advertisments