Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Registry problem.

Reply
Thread Tools

Registry problem.

 
 
Raymond
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2005
I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of the file
containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or
alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very little
with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive to another, it
reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots. Most the files I download
from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not corrupt before. I
did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus scan, delete some
program files that I might they causing the problem, but they won't help.
WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge about how to manipulate the
registry or messing with it. Any suggestion?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Raymond
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2005
My system runs on xp professional with the lastest patches and updates
installed.

"Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of the file
>containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log
>or alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very
>little with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive to
>another, it reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots. Most the
>files I download from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not
>corrupt before. I did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus
>scan, delete some program files that I might they causing the problem, but
>they won't help. WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge about how
>to manipulate the registry or messing with it. Any suggestion?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Andrew Tang
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2005
What you are seeing is caused by bad hardware. My best guess is hard drive,
followed by RAM.
Clone your current hard drive into a known good one and run your WinXP from
there.

Andy


 
Reply With Quote
 
«BONEHEAD>>
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2005

"Andrew Tang" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JvoWd.33585$Ze3.32877@attbi_s51...
> What you are seeing is caused by bad hardware. My best guess is hard
> drive, followed by RAM.
> Clone your current hard drive into a known good one and run your WinXP
> from there.
>
> Andy

run scanreg /fix


--
<B0N3H3@D>
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert Einstein


 
Reply With Quote
 
MF
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2005
bad memory, bad power supply, bad motherboard, bad hard drive in decreasing
order of likelihood, or virus/spyware. turn off system restore, first. get
memtest86 and run it (free). get the hard drive diagnostic from the
manufacturere and run it. run checkdisk/scan disk. get, learn and run
hijackthis. avoid everything from symantec-- i hate to say that, but do it.
AND in doing all this, boot into safe mode. press f8 when the thing is
booting and choose the option. (follow the directions with memtest).
hijackthis you'll simply have to learn. it's the only dependable spyware
checker. oh- try the MSFT's new spyware piece - it's got a lot of good
reviews. but dpend on hijackthis. not only is it the best, there are
dozens of forums supporting it. run a google search to find them.

and run a couple three four anti virus programs. avg, trend micro, sophos,
nod. avoid mcafee and symantec. if memtest, the hdd checks, the antivirus
checks, and the spyware checks turn up nothing, suspect your motherboard or
power supply. how to check? newegg.com, power supplies, rosewill, from 18
to 34 dollars will run anything you have. stick it in and see if the
problem goes away............. if not, suspect motherboard

OH, by the way, all this assumes you have already checked for intermittent
shorts in every card in the system by pulling the cards one by one to see if
the problem goes away. Have you done that? If not, do it now.

good luck, sounds like you got a PITA on your hands, because what you
describe could be caused by many things. btw, if chekdisk turns up bad
sectors, run it again. and again. what you are looking for is an
increasing number of bad sectors. if that's what you are getting, your hd
is bad.

Mike





"Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of the file
> containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log

or
> alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very little
> with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive to another, it
> reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots. Most the files I

download
> from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not corrupt before.

I
> did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus scan, delete some
> program files that I might they causing the problem, but they won't help.
> WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge about how to manipulate the
> registry or messing with it. Any suggestion?
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2005
> "Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of the
>> file containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use
>> of a log

> or
>> alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very
>> little with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive to
>> another, it reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots. Most
>> the files I

> download
>> from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not corrupt
>> before.

> I
>> did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus scan, delete
>> some program files that I might they causing the problem, but they
>> won't help. WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge about how
>> to manipulate the registry or messing with it. Any suggestion?
>>
>>

>
>
>


Everybody has given great advice here.

One thing I have recenetly ran into are a new set of spyware / virus that
are undetectable unless you slave the drive. These do not show up in the
GUI interface, even if you have show hidden files. Need to go to a command
prompt and set the attributes in a command window and then delete them.

BUM
 
Reply With Quote
 
«BONEHEAD>>
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2005

"Bum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96113A1E586D3Bumbummerorg@24.24.2.165...
>> "Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of the
>>> file containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use
>>> of a log

>> or
>>> alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very
>>> little with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive to
>>> another, it reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots. Most
>>> the files I

>> download
>>> from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not corrupt
>>> before.

>> I
>>> did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus scan, delete
>>> some program files that I might they causing the problem, but they
>>> won't help. WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge about how
>>> to manipulate the registry or messing with it. Any suggestion?
>>>
>>>

>>
>>
>>

>
> Everybody has given great advice here.
>
> One thing I have recenetly ran into are a new set of spyware / virus that
> are undetectable unless you slave the drive. These do not show up in the
> GUI interface, even if you have show hidden files. Need to go to a
> command
> prompt and set the attributes in a command window and then delete them.
>


This could be cured with a boot disk anti virus.
As mentioned before this type of tool is indipsensible.
Slaving a drive is not neccassarily an option while sitting at the
customers shop or home.

--
<B0N3H3@D>
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert Einstein



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bum
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2005
"«BONEHEAD>>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:2gFWd.10338$(E-Mail Removed) om:

>
> "Bum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns96113A1E586D3Bumbummerorg@24.24.2.165...
>>> "Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>> I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of
>>>> the file containing the system's registry data had to be recovered
>>>> by use of a log
>>> or
>>>> alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very
>>>> little with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive
>>>> to another, it reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots.
>>>> Most the files I
>>> download
>>>> from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not corrupt
>>>> before.
>>> I
>>>> did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus scan,
>>>> delete some program files that I might they causing the problem,
>>>> but they won't help. WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge
>>>> about how to manipulate the registry or messing with it. Any
>>>> suggestion?
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>

>>
>> Everybody has given great advice here.
>>
>> One thing I have recenetly ran into are a new set of spyware / virus
>> that are undetectable unless you slave the drive. These do not show
>> up in the GUI interface, even if you have show hidden files. Need to
>> go to a command
>> prompt and set the attributes in a command window and then delete
>> them.
>>

>
> This could be cured with a boot disk anti virus.
> As mentioned before this type of tool is indipsensible.
> Slaving a drive is not neccassarily an option while sitting at the
> customers shop or home.
>




A boot disk virus scan is one tool I have found to give to many false
positives for a system being clean .... and few run on NTFS volumns ...
that are a worth a thing ...
 
Reply With Quote
 
«BONEHEAD>>
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2005

"Bum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96116E51ADC0EBumbummerorg@24.24.2.166...
> "«BONEHEAD>>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:2gFWd.10338$(E-Mail Removed) om:
>
>>
>> "Bum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:Xns96113A1E586D3Bumbummerorg@24.24.2.165...
>>>> "Raymond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>> I got a popup screen everytime I reboot the computer says "One of
>>>>> the file containing the system's registry data had to be recovered
>>>>> by use of a log
>>>> or
>>>>> alternate copy. The recover was successful". Then, I can do very
>>>>> little with my computer. I try to copy stuffs from one hard drive
>>>>> to another, it reboots. Surf the internet a while, it reboots.
>>>>> Most the files I
>>>> download
>>>>> from the internet seem to be corrupted, but they were not corrupt
>>>>> before.
>>>> I
>>>>> did save mode, last known config, system restore, Virus scan,
>>>>> delete some program files that I might they causing the problem,
>>>>> but they won't help. WHat should I do next? I have limit knowledge
>>>>> about how to manipulate the registry or messing with it. Any
>>>>> suggestion?
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>> Everybody has given great advice here.
>>>
>>> One thing I have recenetly ran into are a new set of spyware / virus
>>> that are undetectable unless you slave the drive. These do not show
>>> up in the GUI interface, even if you have show hidden files. Need to
>>> go to a command
>>> prompt and set the attributes in a command window and then delete
>>> them.
>>>

>>
>> This could be cured with a boot disk anti virus.
>> As mentioned before this type of tool is indipsensible.
>> Slaving a drive is not neccassarily an option while sitting at the
>> customers shop or home.
>>

>
>
>
> A boot disk virus scan is one tool I have found to give to many false
> positives for a system being clean .... and few run on NTFS volumns ...
> that are a worth a thing ...


I'm thinking between Fprot ands McAfee with the latest defs your gonna
come out of DOS mode with a pretty good idea of your problems.
Booting into safe mode and running your other tools then would
be the sensible thing to do...
You also got to consider how much time your putting in...
Are you working on site???
How do you propose slaving every suspect HD?
Not arguing, just curious, because of costs factors this method
could get expensive....


--
<B0N3H3@D>
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert Einstein


 
Reply With Quote
 
returnoftheyeti@aol.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-06-2005
the first command to try is

sfc /scannow

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help:win95 registry vs. winxp registry wege Computer Support 3 06-09-2006 06:28 PM
How to read a registry key from Windows registry ? Leny Java 3 02-01-2005 07:54 AM
Interpretation of registry log of tweakui produced registry alteration vincemoon@rcn.com ASP .Net 0 01-10-2005 02:53 AM
Reading registry key throws "Requested registry access is not allowed." HK ASP .Net 1 04-01-2004 04:44 PM



Advertisments