Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Data buses question

Data buses question

Donny

In Michael Myers All in One A+ Cert Exam guide, 5th edition, in chapter 3 it
discusses the external data bus. It explains it as external to the CPU and
connects CPU to everything outside the CPU, like memory. I always thought
the external data bus went to all the external ports, like USB, Keyboard and
mouse. What the book calls external data bus, I thought was front side bus.

Could someone clarify this for me?

Thanks.
Donny

Lonny Bruce

Same book, page 86, second paragraph explains it:

"The inclusion of the L2 cache on the chip gave rise to some new terms to
describe the connections between the CPU, Northbridge, RAM and L2 cache.
The address bus and external data bus are now lumped between the CPU,
Northbridge, and RAM into a single term called the FRONTSIDE BUS, and the
connection between the CPU and the L2 cache into the term BACKSIDE BUS."

Lonny

--
Enjoy my new sailing web site
http://sail247.com

"Donny" <no_spam@thank_you.com> wrote in message
news:LZ3Vd.4248$(E-Mail Removed)...
> In Michael Myers All in One A+ Cert Exam guide, 5th edition, in chapter 3
> it
> discusses the external data bus. It explains it as external to the CPU
> and
> connects CPU to everything outside the CPU, like memory. I always thought
> the external data bus went to all the external ports, like USB, Keyboard
> and
> mouse. What the book calls external data bus, I thought was front side
> bus.
>
> Could someone clarify this for me?
>
> Thanks.
> Donny

Donny

Thanks Lonny.

Very nice site you have.

Donny

"Lonny Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Same book, page 86, second paragraph explains it:
>
> "The inclusion of the L2 cache on the chip gave rise to some new terms to
> describe the connections between the CPU, Northbridge, RAM and L2 cache.
> The address bus and external data bus are now lumped between the CPU,
> Northbridge, and RAM into a single term called the FRONTSIDE BUS, and the
> connection between the CPU and the L2 cache into the term BACKSIDE BUS."
>
> Lonny
>
> --
> Enjoy my new sailing web site
> http://sail247.com
>

> "Donny" <no_spam@thank_you.com> wrote in message
> news:LZ3Vd.4248$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In Michael Myers All in One A+ Cert Exam guide, 5th edition, in chapter

3
> > it
> > discusses the external data bus. It explains it as external to the CPU
> > and
> > connects CPU to everything outside the CPU, like memory. I always

thought
> > the external data bus went to all the external ports, like USB, Keyboard
> > and
> > mouse. What the book calls external data bus, I thought was front side
> > bus.
> >
> > Could someone clarify this for me?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Donny

series of explosions in London, the "tube", buses alarmed Computer Support 17 07-10-2005 05:29 PM
combining 2 buses woko VHDL 1 09-01-2004 10:46 AM
BAN: Photography on USA trains and buses Anastasia Orfanos Digital Photography 847 06-25-2004 06:24 PM
Re: Photography on USA trains and buses Charlie Self Digital Photography 0 06-02-2004 11:41 PM
shared buses in Max Plus Jluis VHDL 2 04-28-2004 02:28 AM

Advertisments