Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > install problems

install problems

Rod Long

I am trying to install XP Pro on an HP pc(40gig drive) that's about 1 1/2 to
2 years old. I get to the install XP to this partition step and it says that
there is already a windows operating system on this partition. I then press
the 'L' to continue install. I leave the file system intact (NTFS) and then
let it go.Then the 'rebooting in 15 seconds' comes up and it reboots and
starts all over again from the beginning of the install process. I have the
hard drive on IDE 1 and the cdrom on IDE 2. Does that make a difference? I
don't think it should but.....Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rocco

Rod Long

Thanks for the reply. Upgrading XP home to Pro. I deleted and partitioned
with the XP Pro cd 3 times. I thought that I had wiped it out. I already
backed up the data. I cannot boot from a floppy to use fdisk. I change the
BIOS to boot from floppy and save changes and then when it reads from the
floppy, it says no operating system found. My friend needs this pc by
tomorrow morning. I have already spend several hours trying to
reformat\create partition\install to this drive. I have tried a couple of
different XP Pro cd's to see if maybe one of them was bad found nothing
wrong with either cd. I am going to change the cdrom for one of my good
ones. If that doesn't work...maybe bad hard drive?. Thanks.

Rocco
"Rightard Whitey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IgIUd.120865$(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Rod Long wrote:
>> I am trying to install XP Pro on an HP pc(40gig drive) that's about 1 1/2
>> to 2 years old. I get to the install XP to this partition step and it
>> says that there is already a windows operating system on this partition.
>> I then press the 'L' to continue install. I leave the file system intact
>> (NTFS) and then let it go.Then the 'rebooting in 15 seconds' comes up and
>> it reboots and starts all over again from the beginning of the install
>> process. I have the hard drive on IDE 1 and the cdrom on IDE 2. Does that
>> make a difference? I don't think it should but.....Thanks in advance for
>> any and all help.
>>
>> Rocco

> Are you trying to upgrade an existing WIN OS or starting with a fresh
> install? Some versions of Microsoft OS are not upgradable to WIN XP. You
> may have to do a backup and do a fresh install by wiping out the existing
> partition.

Rod Long

It just hit me that booting my floppy disk won't work because it won't
recognize the NTFS partition? Sounds logical. I will make some XP startup
discs and try that. If not......

Rod
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Boot from a floppy and run fdisk. There is nothing in your post that
> suggests that you can't; what it suggests is that you don't know how to
> make a bootable floppy dith FDISK on it.
>

> Rod Long wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply. Upgrading XP home to Pro. I deleted and partitioned
>> with the XP Pro cd 3 times. I thought that I had wiped it out. I already
>> backed up the data. I cannot boot from a floppy to use fdisk. I change
>> the BIOS to boot from floppy and save changes and then when it reads from
>> the floppy, it says no operating system found. My friend needs this pc by
>> tomorrow morning. I have already spend several hours trying to
>> reformat\create partition\install to this drive. I have tried a couple of
>> different XP Pro cd's to see if maybe one of them was bad found nothing
>> wrong with either cd. I am going to change the cdrom for one of my good
>> ones. If that doesn't work...maybe bad hard drive?. Thanks.
>>
>> Rocco
>> "Rightard Whitey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:IgIUd.120865$(E-Mail Removed) m...

>>>Are you trying to upgrade an existing WIN OS or starting with a fresh
>>>install? Some versions of Microsoft OS are not upgradable to WIN XP. You
>>>may have to do a backup and do a fresh install by wiping out the existing
>>>partition.

AG

If you need to completely wipe a disk the easiest thing to do is run a debug
script.
The page here:
http://www.fdisk.com/fdisk/HardDrive.htm
has detailed instructions. I print them so I'll have them there to see.
This will remove all access to data from the drive. The data is still there
but it removes the FAT.

AG
"Rod Long" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It just hit me that booting my floppy disk won't work because it won't
> recognize the NTFS partition? Sounds logical. I will make some XP startup
> discs and try that. If not......
>
> Rod
> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Boot from a floppy and run fdisk. There is nothing in your post that
> > suggests that you can't; what it suggests is that you don't know how to
> > make a bootable floppy dith FDISK on it.
> >

> > Rod Long wrote:
> >> Thanks for the reply. Upgrading XP home to Pro. I deleted and

partitioned
> >> with the XP Pro cd 3 times. I thought that I had wiped it out. I

already
> >> backed up the data. I cannot boot from a floppy to use fdisk. I change
> >> the BIOS to boot from floppy and save changes and then when it reads

from
> >> the floppy, it says no operating system found. My friend needs this pc

by
> >> tomorrow morning. I have already spend several hours trying to
> >> reformat\create partition\install to this drive. I have tried a couple

of
> >> different XP Pro cd's to see if maybe one of them was bad found nothing
> >> wrong with either cd. I am going to change the cdrom for one of my good
> >> ones. If that doesn't work...maybe bad hard drive?. Thanks.
> >>
> >> Rocco
> >> "Rightard Whitey" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:IgIUd.120865$(E-Mail Removed) m...

the

You

existing

me

If you are trying to install a Full Version of WindowsXp Pro, then do this:
Go into CMOS and switch the boot order into Cdrom as primary boot device,
then hard drive and floppy(if you have a floppy), then insert the XP cd and
boot the computer. Once you get to the option of either deleting the
partition that already has the windows OS on it or leaving the file system
intact--delete the partition and then install the XP OS fresh. Next when
the computer reboots--and it will at some point during the install
process--GO IMMEDIATELY BACK INTO YOUR CMOS settings and change the boot
order back to Hard drive as primary boot device, then cdrom and floppy--in
that order, and then Save and Exit--which I think is F10, or just go to the
Save and Exit screen and save your settings, and then let the computer
reboot itself again. Once you have rebooted, the installation will pick up
and continue the installation without having to start over again.