Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Unusual Power Supply Failure

Unusual Power Supply Failure

CLV3

"MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> POP, ZZZZZZT, SPARK and a tiny puff of smoke out the back of the PS and it
> was gone.
>
> It's a Sparkle, ATX, 250 Watt, a bit over 6 years old.

Just out of curiosity, what kind of system were you trying to power up with
a 250 Watt?

goorken

I myself had a catastrophic power supply failure on a new power
supply. I had just shortly before built (this system) and was playing
some game, probibally doom, when there was a pop and my machine went
dead as last weeks fried fish,like it was wired for maximum smoke, on
a sunday no less, thank gawd for warranty info,

Rockster

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:11:22 -0500, "MF"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>POP, ZZZZZZT, SPARK and a tiny puff of smoke out the back of the PS and it
>was gone.
>
>It's a Sparkle, ATX, 250 Watt, a bit over 6 years old.
>
>Circumstances: kill switch turned off, hard drive being replaced. I've done
>this many times, about twenty times on this computer alone (for tests and
>upgrades, not twenty failed HDDs) with nary a snafu save lost screws.
>
>Like a typical user, I can't remember _exactly_ when it happened, because
>the act of turnning the kill switch back on and pushing the power button
>were almost (not quite) simultaneous. Everything was connected properly, no
>noise or visuals from anywhere else in the computer, and afterwards, no
>visible scorch marks or other anomalies anywhere else in the computer. So
>I'm about 99.25 percent sure that nothing shorted anywhere else.
>
>But there's that other .75%. My experience with power supply failures has
>been the standard: intermittent error and/or quiet death - the computer
>simply doesn't turn on one day. Has anyone experienced these mini fireworks
>sort of flameouts - and does anyone know the cause?
>
>Thanks much!
>
>Mike

MF

see new post

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Power supply failure jimz DVD Video 1 10-19-2006 09:57 PM
Strange Win2k boot failure - HDD or Power Supply or both? kaiaroo@gmail.com Computer Support 6 04-13-2006 06:45 PM
power supply failure Derek McGrath Computer Support 4 02-09-2005 09:18 PM