Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Microsoft Action Pack

Re: Microsoft Action Pack

Adam Leinss

Barry Watzman <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:WZoQd.41210$(E-Mail Removed):

> Microsoft has a product called the "Action Pack" that is a
> subscription to over $20,000 worth of software. The subscription
> price is $299 initially and $199 to renew in subsequent years.
> Software in the Action Pack does do product activation, and if you
> don't renew, you lose the ability to do any subsequent
> installations (you are also supposed to destroy the kit and all
> installed copies, on the honor system).

Microsoft use to do HOT (Hands On Training) kits where you could get
Windows 2000 Pro, Server (10 CALs), Advanced Server (10 CALs), an
online training course, a sales CD, a demo CD and a t-shirt for $129!
The Office 2000 Premium HOT kit went for $99.

Being MCSE certified I think there should be a program that rewards us
for our hard work by providing Microsoft software at low cost. They
could team up with Winternals and offer the Administrator's Pak for
$200 or something like that to energize the tech community.

The last time I went to a MS Road Show I got a copy of Office XP that
required a subscription and it only came with a one year key! Just a
couple of years before that they mailed Office 2000 Premium (all 7 CDs)
to my house for attending their presentation for free.

If the Action Pack is their new answer to the HOT kits I am very
disappointed. At least letting MCSEs get academic pricing on their
software would be a start.

Adam