Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Network computer seeks floppy drive when saving

Network computer seeks floppy drive when saving

abconline@hotmail.com

I am having a problem with WordPerfect. I have my computer setup on a
small network of three computers and I am saving my work to another
computer on the network. When I set it up to save to a network folder
(in the preferences), I click "save as" and the computer starts to seek
the floppy drive. The floppy drive will grind for about 30 seconds
before it will bring up the "save as" screen pointing to the network
drive and folder. Is there any reason for it to constantly look for a
floppy first? How do I stop it from looking for a floppy?

My computer is running Windows ME with WordPerfect 9, and the network
computers are Win XP Home.

Nil

On 10 Feb 2005, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I am having a problem with WordPerfect. I have my computer setup
> on a small network of three computers and I am saving my work to
> another computer on the network. When I set it up to save to a
> network folder (in the preferences), I click "save as" and the
> computer starts to seek the floppy drive. The floppy drive will
> grind for about 30 seconds before it will bring up the "save as"
> screen pointing to the network drive and folder. Is there any
> reason for it to constantly look for a floppy first? How do I stop
> it from looking for a floppy?

If, in the past, you did actually save a file to a floppy, it may still
be listed in WP's MRU list. I don't know WP, but maybe it tries to be
"helpful" by remembering folders you recently accessed. If you can
purge these listings, perhaps the symptom will stop.

I don't know where WP stores this information, but perhaps you can find
it by searching the registry for the string "a:".

Bill Jones

Thanks NRJ, leaving a floppy in the drive did it. It now finds the
networked folder in just a second instead of grinding the floppy drive
forever.

Bill