Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Employment

Employment

me

A general question to everyone. How many have been able to obtain
employment in this field, and how many have started their own business?

I am currently looking for an entry level position, but I have also started
my own little business in my area. I have experienced the talent of the
local techs firsthand in the past, and it isn't much. Which is why I
decided to start my own little business in addition to looking for
employment.

Anyone else?

Bum

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:f%fMd.23647$(E-Mail Removed):

> A general question to everyone. How many have been able to obtain
> employment in this field, and how many have started their own
> business?
>
> I am currently looking for an entry level position, but I have also
> started my own little business in my area. I have experienced the
> talent of the local techs firsthand in the past, and it isn't much.
> Which is why I decided to start my own little business in addition to
> looking for employment.
>
> Anyone else?

After hearing the amount companies where charging people and seeing how
much they were paying their employees, I started my own business. I am not
a favorite of these companies for I cut the cost to clients by roughly 60%,
when a job is highly specialized and I do not have the skills or have no
desire to get involved in, (programmers, web developers, etc) I have
contacts who I set up with the work for a finders fee. Now I have enough
work that I make more then double what was being offered by the local
companies and clients are not being hosed. A number of companies told a
client it was going to cost over $150 for a tech to come out and install an
OS upgrade and another $100 to install the applications and yet another $50
to set up the network .. they were trying to hose the user to the tune of
$300 ... spending a total of 3 hours at the client system I charged a mere
$100 ... the client was estatic ... and I walked away with another
satisified client who word of mouth brought in several more jobs. Yes, I
still work for other companies now .. but strictly as a W-2 contractor.

BUM

johnnygeargrinder2004@yahoo.com

I am currently seeking a entry-level job too. I live in the Atlanta
area. It is difficult for me as well. I know I do not have enough
experience to advertise myself. However, I find elderly people living
on a fixed income, good for experience. First, they do not have much
money. Second, they generally have basic computer problems. Third, they
are very grateful for your help. Fourth, they generally like to pay
with excellent home cooked meals. Experience and well feed. Beats
nothing.