Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > unusual problem

unusual problem

me

I had a client computer tonight and on the computer was the antivirus
program Defender Pro. The client complained of a problem with connecting to
the internet or once connected, the computer would disconnect itself. The
client also complained of constant popups and possible virus or spyware
infection.

after looking at the computer I attached the client hard disk to a working
computer I have set up which has an updated antivirus program on it. I
found 33 viruses on the computer. I also ran adaware and discovered several
pieces of spyware on the machine.

After deleting all of these, I reconnected the hard drive to the client
machine and turned it on.

While working on setting the pop up blocker and resetting the home page the
program Defender Pro 2005 came up and began scanning the computer.

It discovered several things that it identified as viruses, after deleting
these I restarted the machine to test it and when the welcome screen came up
everything was garbled and some parts appeard to be in japanese kanji, and
others looked arabic. Everything on the start menu was the same garbled
lettering.

Has anyone else ever ran across this, and if so, how did you fix it?