Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Restore XP Home From Disk

Re: Restore XP Home From Disk

Breedo

Why not just clean up the viruses and spyware and put some protection on the
computer? The time spent doing this won't be much more than reinstalling
Windows. Besides, if he's picked up all these viruses and spyware, he'll
just get them again once you do the reinstall. (Of course, you may have
other reasons for doing the reinstall)

A combination of freeware programs can do an excellent job in cleaning and
protecting his computer. AVG offers a very good free antivirus program, and
a combination of CWShredder, Spybot, and Adaware will remove most spyware.

"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:V%VHd.2120$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Hello,
>
> I have a customer's computer that is riddled with viruses and spyware. I
> want to reinstall Windows, but the XP disk did not come along with the
> computer.
>
> The brand name is Value DVPR Matrix, or something like that. I believe

that
> they're affiliated with Best Buy.
>
> I called the local Best Buy, and have been told that an XP disk does not
> come along with this brand computer, and that there are only restore files
> on either a separate partition on the hard drive (there is none), or that
> there is a restore CD that came along with the computer.
>
> My customer does not have a good handle on all of his disks, and there is
> also a bit of a language barrier. It's unlikely that he'll be able to
> locate this restore disk, if it exists.
>
> I know that if I try hard enough, and long enough, I'll be able to track
> down an XP Home Edition disk, but this is getting to be a pain, already,

and
> I just want to be done with it.
>
> Has anyone been up against this restore deal? I'm tempted to tell the
> customer that the only way to work with this is to buy a new XP Home

edition
> disk.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> smackedass

returnoftheyeti@aol.com

Find a copy of XP Home, OEM version. Buy it, borrow your friends,
download it from IRC, what ever.

Install it. When asked for a key, type in that nice 20 digit number on
that nice shiny sticker thats pasted on the side of the case.

If you have a problem activating it (you shouldnt), call the MS 800
number, tell them you reinstalled the OS and that its on one computer
only.

Nice, painless and legal.

returnoftheyeti@aol.com

Email me at yeti at yetiland dot dyndns dot org

I'll see what I can do for you.
XP Home OEM?

I should have a copy at work.

Patrick Michael

"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fyWHd.2144$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
>I already spent a signifigant amount of time cleaning up the spyware, and
> viruses. The system had 80,000 instances of spyware, and 167 viruses. It
> won't connect to the Internet; I'm now inclined to believe that it's
> hosed,
> and it's time for a reformat/re-install, anyway.

The broken internet problem might be fixed with a little utility called
LSPFix. It does sound like this computer was completely hosed though.
About 95% of the time I've been able to "bring back" computers that seemed
to be on life support because of spyware/adware/viruses, but occasionally
there is the system that just can't be saved without a clean re-install.

Jack

Another good utility for fixing the internet connection is winsockxpfix .
Nice little free utility that rebuilds the tcp/ip stack.