Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Restore a Compaq

Restore a Compaq

Lonny Bruce

I have a question that on it's face seems simple enough, but I could use
some advice from more experienced peeps here in this Newsgroup.

Compaq 6350us Desktop
Windows XP Home SP2
3 years old

This computer has picked up a couple of viruses. I have removed the
viruses, but the damage is done. I think the hard drive needs to be
formatted, and then restore Windows. Problem is I don't have the restore
disks, and Compaq is out of stock and cannot supply them.

Can I just purchase OEM version of Windows XP Home and install on this
computer? Will it work ok?

Will I also have to install drivers? If I need to install drivers, they are
available as downloads from Compaq (HP).

Thanks for your advice on how to go about this.

Lonny
--
Enjoy my new sailing web site
http://sail247.com

Jamco

Yes you should be able to get all the drivers you need from compaq, and
format your hard drive.
But try and download the drivers first before formatting, and burn them to a
cd.
You may format your computer and find your network or modem doesn't because
you don't have a driver for it, and without the driver, you can't get the
driver

"Lonny Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I have a question that on it's face seems simple enough, but I could use
>some advice from more experienced peeps here in this Newsgroup.
>
> Compaq 6350us Desktop
> Windows XP Home SP2
> 3 years old
>
> This computer has picked up a couple of viruses. I have removed the
> viruses, but the damage is done. I think the hard drive needs to be
> formatted, and then restore Windows. Problem is I don't have the restore
> disks, and Compaq is out of stock and cannot supply them.
>
> Can I just purchase OEM version of Windows XP Home and install on this
> computer? Will it work ok?
>
> Will I also have to install drivers? If I need to install drivers, they
> are available as downloads from Compaq (HP).
>
> Thanks for your advice on how to go about this.
>
> Lonny
> --
> Enjoy my new sailing web site
> http://sail247.com

AG

What he said plus if it were me I would download the drivers on someone
else's computer just in case the infected computer should infect the
drivers.

AG
"Jamco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Yes you should be able to get all the drivers you need from compaq, and
> format your hard drive.
> But try and download the drivers first before formatting, and burn them to
> a cd.
> You may format your computer and find your network or modem doesn't
> because you don't have a driver for it, and without the driver, you can't
> get the driver
>
> "Lonny Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>I have a question that on it's face seems simple enough, but I could use
>>some advice from more experienced peeps here in this Newsgroup.
>>
>> Compaq 6350us Desktop
>> Windows XP Home SP2
>> 3 years old
>>
>> This computer has picked up a couple of viruses. I have removed the
>> viruses, but the damage is done. I think the hard drive needs to be
>> formatted, and then restore Windows. Problem is I don't have the restore
>> disks, and Compaq is out of stock and cannot supply them.
>>
>> Can I just purchase OEM version of Windows XP Home and install on this
>> computer? Will it work ok?
>>
>> Will I also have to install drivers? If I need to install drivers, they
>> are available as downloads from Compaq (HP).
>>
>> Thanks for your advice on how to go about this.
>>
>> Lonny
>> --
>> Enjoy my new sailing web site
>> http://sail247.com

Lonny Bruce

Thank you. I do have another computer hooked to the internet for doing the
downloading.

Any other advice?

Lonny
--
Enjoy my new sailing web site
http://sail247.com

"AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:41e81fa4$0$27694$(E-Mail Removed)...
> What he said plus if it were me I would download the drivers on someone
> else's computer just in case the infected computer should infect the
> drivers.
>
> AG
> "Jamco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Yes you should be able to get all the drivers you need from compaq, and
>> format your hard drive.
>> But try and download the drivers first before formatting, and burn them
>> to a cd.
>> You may format your computer and find your network or modem doesn't
>> because you don't have a driver for it, and without the driver, you can't
>> get the driver
>>
>> "Lonny Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>I have a question that on it's face seems simple enough, but I could use
>>>some advice from more experienced peeps here in this Newsgroup.
>>>
>>> Compaq 6350us Desktop
>>> Windows XP Home SP2
>>> 3 years old
>>>
>>> This computer has picked up a couple of viruses. I have removed the
>>> viruses, but the damage is done. I think the hard drive needs to be
>>> formatted, and then restore Windows. Problem is I don't have the
>>> restore disks, and Compaq is out of stock and cannot supply them.
>>>
>>> Can I just purchase OEM version of Windows XP Home and install on this
>>> computer? Will it work ok?
>>>
>>> Will I also have to install drivers? If I need to install drivers, they
>>> are available as downloads from Compaq (HP).
>>>
>>> Thanks for your advice on how to go about this.
>>>
>>> Lonny
>>> --
>>> Enjoy my new sailing web site
>>> http://sail247.com

AG

Use soap.
OOPS wrong ng.
Put antivirus on the new computer before you copy any data from the old one.

AG
> Thank you. I do have another computer hooked to the internet for doing
> the downloading.
>
> Any other advice?
>
> Lonny
> --
> Enjoy my new sailing web site
> http://sail247.com
>

> "AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41e81fa4$0$27694$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What he said plus if it were me I would download the drivers on someone
>> else's computer just in case the infected computer should infect the
>> drivers.
>>
>> AG
>> "Jamco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Yes you should be able to get all the drivers you need from compaq, and
>>> format your hard drive.
>>> But try and download the drivers first before formatting, and burn them
>>> to a cd.
>>> You may format your computer and find your network or modem doesn't
>>> because you don't have a driver for it, and without the driver, you
>>> can't get the driver
>>>
>>> "Lonny Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

me

what do you mean the damage is done? what damage exactly did the viruses do
and what virus(es) were on your machine?
"Lonny Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I have a question that on it's face seems simple enough, but I could use
> some advice from more experienced peeps here in this Newsgroup.
>
> Compaq 6350us Desktop
> Windows XP Home SP2
> 3 years old
>
> This computer has picked up a couple of viruses. I have removed the
> viruses, but the damage is done. I think the hard drive needs to be
> formatted, and then restore Windows. Problem is I don't have the restore
> disks, and Compaq is out of stock and cannot supply them.
>
> Can I just purchase OEM version of Windows XP Home and install on this
> computer? Will it work ok?
>
> Will I also have to install drivers? If I need to install drivers, they

are
> available as downloads from Compaq (HP).
>
> Thanks for your advice on how to go about this.
>
> Lonny
> --
> Enjoy my new sailing web site
> http://sail247.com

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:09:42 GMT, "Lonny Bruce"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a question that on it's face seems simple enough, but I could use
>some advice from more experienced peeps here in this Newsgroup.
>
>Compaq 6350us Desktop
>Windows XP Home SP2
>3 years old
>
>This computer has picked up a couple of viruses. I have removed the
>viruses, but the damage is done.

What damage is done? Will it work at all? If it is still working, and
the viruses are gone, have you tried a simple reinstall of the OS?

Tom

>I think the hard drive needs to be
>formatted, and then restore Windows. Problem is I don't have the restore
>disks, and Compaq is out of stock and cannot supply them.
>
>Can I just purchase OEM version of Windows XP Home and install on this
>computer? Will it work ok?
>
>Will I also have to install drivers? If I need to install drivers, they are
>available as downloads from Compaq (HP).
>
>Thanks for your advice on how to go about this.
>
>Lonny

Kenny

Get Belarc and/or Everest, run them to identify the hardware, then make sure
you have up to date drivers. Both are free.
http://www.lavalys.com/products/over...ng=en&pageid=1
--

Kenny

"Lonny Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Thank you. I do have another computer hooked to the internet for doing

the
> downloading.
>
> Any other advice?
>
> Lonny
> --
> Enjoy my new sailing web site
> http://sail247.com
>

> "AG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:41e81fa4$0$27694$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > What he said plus if it were me I would download the drivers on someone
> > else's computer just in case the infected computer should infect the
> > drivers.
> >
> > AG
> > "Jamco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Yes you should be able to get all the drivers you need from compaq, and
> >> format your hard drive.
> >> But try and download the drivers first before formatting, and burn them
> >> to a cd.
> >> You may format your computer and find your network or modem doesn't
> >> because you don't have a driver for it, and without the driver, you

can't
> >> get the driver
> >>
> >> "Lonny Bruce" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

use

they

returnoftheyeti@aol.com

Hey, guess what.

Depending on whats whats wrong with your Compaq, you might have
serveral options.

First of all, you don't need to buy a copy of Windows XP home. All you
need is the media. The Compaq has a sticker on the side of the case
with the product key. So if you can find, borrow, steal, or download a
copy of OEM XP Home, then you just enter your product key and you have
a legal version of windows. It will even activate w/out calling MS.

If you send me a blank CD and a return envelope, I'll make you a cd.

The Compaq "restore" cds include not only the OS, but the drivers, the
programs that came with the PC (Works, money, Compaq internet server,
etc..) You are better off with a straight OEM copy.

The other thing is, most likely, there is a "hidden" partition, called
Compaq restore. Depends on what on it, you might have all your
drivers, programs, etc stored right there. I dont have a compaq in
front of me, but the basic steps that I used berfore went somthing like
this. a) used a program like winrar to view the hidden zip or cab
files. b) look for a folder called "icons" c) extract the folder and
look at the icons. For example, you see an icon for msmoney and its
titled 8453455934. Then you go to the "programs" folder and extrace
the zip/cab file called "8453455934" Bingo, now you can install MS
Money. Same thing goes for the drivers. LTWin modem has a phone icon,
NIC cards have NIC Icons, etc.

I dont think the full OS is on that partition, but the drivers/programs
are.

The third thing you might want to try is just do a system restore to as
far back as you can go. If your system is hosed, but you have a
restore point from last year, then there you go.

Good Luck

Lonny Bruce

Great ideas. Thanks.

I know that on some Compaqs the restore info is stored on a seperate
partition on the hard drive. However that does not seem to be the case on
this computer. But I didn't know to look to hidden files.

Lonny

--
Enjoy my new sailing web site
http://sail247.com

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hey, guess what.
>
> Depending on whats whats wrong with your Compaq, you might have
> serveral options.
>
> First of all, you don't need to buy a copy of Windows XP home. All you
> need is the media. The Compaq has a sticker on the side of the case
> with the product key. So if you can find, borrow, steal, or download a
> copy of OEM XP Home, then you just enter your product key and you have
> a legal version of windows. It will even activate w/out calling MS.
>
> If you send me a blank CD and a return envelope, I'll make you a cd.
>
> The Compaq "restore" cds include not only the OS, but the drivers, the
> programs that came with the PC (Works, money, Compaq internet server,
> etc..) You are better off with a straight OEM copy.
>
> The other thing is, most likely, there is a "hidden" partition, called
> Compaq restore. Depends on what on it, you might have all your
> drivers, programs, etc stored right there. I dont have a compaq in
> front of me, but the basic steps that I used berfore went somthing like
> this. a) used a program like winrar to view the hidden zip or cab
> files. b) look for a folder called "icons" c) extract the folder and
> look at the icons. For example, you see an icon for msmoney and its
> titled 8453455934. Then you go to the "programs" folder and extrace
> the zip/cab file called "8453455934" Bingo, now you can install MS
> Money. Same thing goes for the drivers. LTWin modem has a phone icon,
> NIC cards have NIC Icons, etc.
>
> I dont think the full OS is on that partition, but the drivers/programs
> are.
>
> The third thing you might want to try is just do a system restore to as
> far back as you can go. If your system is hosed, but you have a
> restore point from last year, then there you go.
>
> Good Luck

compaq presario 1245 restore disk Travis Computer Support 2 09-27-2007 04:00 PM
COmpaq Quick Restore RUDY65 Software 0 08-28-2006 04:45 AM
Quick Restore for the Compaq Presario 2240 Johann Behrens Computer Support 2 02-06-2006 07:52 PM
compaq presario win 98 quick restore error datsameolneveek Computer Support 33 07-31-2005 02:18 AM
Quick Restore for a Compaq not so quick! Croos Bustamunky Computer Support 2 05-15-2004 04:17 AM

Advertisments