Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Missing NTLDR, etc on Win XP Pro,Tried everything, HELP!

Missing NTLDR, etc on Win XP Pro,Tried everything, HELP!

James

The machine is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 1, NTFS
Hard Drive.

Here is the story, Folks.

1. I installed several Microsoft security patches from Windows Update.

2. Rebooted.

3. Upon reboot, I was greeted with the error "Ntoskrnl.exe" Missing or
damaged, replace file. Windows would not boot.

4. Inserted Windows XP Install CD, used recovery console, tried to do a
bootcfg /rebuild. Had to do a chkdsk first, which gave me a message saying
that there were unfixable errors. I was unable to do the bootcfg / rebuild
because of the errors.

5. Removed CD, turned pc off, tried another reboot.

6. Now have the error message "NTLDR is missing".

At this point, I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of. I have copied
both NTLDR and NTDETECT from the Windows XP Install CD using the recovery
console. I have also done a FIXMBR and FIXBOOT from the recovery console.

Regardless of what I try, I still end up with the same NTLDR error.

I even removed the actual hard drive from the PC and installed it in another
Windows XP PC. I was hoping to be able to at least copy the files off of the
drive, but I get the message "F:\ not accessible. The file or directory is
corrupted and unreadable".

Any ideas guys? This pc has a lot of critical information on it that I need
access to ASAP. Please email me directly at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) if possible.

Thank you,
James