Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > employment prospects

employment prospects

me

I have been looking for employment, most of the jobs I have found require
that their candidates have a BS degree plus many years experience for $8-9
/hr. Plus, on top of that they want you to be familiar with at least three
programming languages.
There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS degree,
but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right now.

Has anyone else had similar luck?

Bum

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:d2lCd.7816$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have been looking for employment, most of the jobs I have found
> require that their candidates have a BS degree plus many years
> experience for $8-9 /hr. Plus, on top of that they want you to be
> familiar with at least three programming languages.
> There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS
> degree, but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right
> now.
>
> Has anyone else had similar luck?

Chuckle ... same swan song here ... I have a BS in a liberal arts and two
two year technical degrees (Electrical and Telcom) ... plus about fifteen
years of experience ... I have heard some good lines from interviewers ...
such as well we like to hire people we can develop (sic I am too old) to so
what do you want to be when you grow up (from a man half my age) ... most
positions here as well require Certifications and programming languages and
they want to pay between 8 and 10 an hour for those with 5 to 10 years of
experience ... entry level positions are paying slightly more then minimum
wage ...

seems most computer support jobs are well non-existent .. entry level jobs
are impossible to find and those that do exist, as you pointed out, require
2 or 3 programming languages ... my recommendation to all now days is go to
school and get a BSc degree in some technical area and learn as many
programming languages as possible and stay profiecient in the latest ...

Bum
suffering the big bummer of no work

me

of course employers want to ay $8-10 per hour for people with 5-10 years
experience. Of course employers should want their employees to have a BS
degree in computer science and be proficient in three programming languages,
because that way they can get more done and pay alot less for it. Thats
really sad. It really is.

Bum

"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:TgvCd.27276$(E-Mail Removed):

> of course employers want to ay $8-10 per hour for people with 5-10
> years experience. Of course employers should want their employees to
> have a BS degree in computer science and be proficient in three
> programming languages, because that way they can get more done and pay
> alot less for it. Thats really sad. It really is.

yes it is ... they care not if you can pay rent and eat ... they care less
if you pay your student loans ... all that matters is making shareholders
happy and the execs their bonus' and 4 - 12 week vacations ...

Gary

What region are you from?

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:03:27 -0500, "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been looking for employment, most of the jobs I have found require
>that their candidates have a BS degree plus many years experience for $8-9
>/hr. Plus, on top of that they want you to be familiar with at least three
>programming languages.
>There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS degree,
>but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right now.
>
>Has anyone else had similar luck?

Bum

Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> What region are you from?

NY... not even close to the city ... here ... same story in MN right now
from what I hear from my contacts

Bum

me

TN
"Gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What region are you from?
>

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:03:27 -0500, "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have been looking for employment, most of the jobs I have found require
> >that their candidates have a BS degree plus many years experience for

$8-9
> >/hr. Plus, on top of that they want you to be familiar with at least

three
> >programming languages.
> >There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS

degree,
> >but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right now.
> >
> >Has anyone else had similar luck?

Frederic

you need to have some expertise if you want to be considered as a valuable
expert.

Wireless is the keyword for 2005

I suggest the following reading
http://www.cramsession.com/articles/...e.asp?aid=1063

--
Frederic
MCP, IT Project+, i-Net+, CIW Associate, A+

"Bum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:d2lCd.7816$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > I have been looking for employment, most of the jobs I have found
> > require that their candidates have a BS degree plus many years
> > experience for $8-9 /hr. Plus, on top of that they want you to be
> > familiar with at least three programming languages.
> > There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS
> > degree, but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right
> > now.
> >
> > Has anyone else had similar luck?
> >

> Chuckle ... same swan song here ... I have a BS in a liberal arts and two
> two year technical degrees (Electrical and Telcom) ... plus about fifteen
> years of experience ... I have heard some good lines from interviewers ...
> such as well we like to hire people we can develop (sic I am too old) to

so
> what do you want to be when you grow up (from a man half my age) ... most
> positions here as well require Certifications and programming languages

and
> they want to pay between 8 and 10 an hour for those with 5 to 10 years of
> experience ... entry level positions are paying slightly more then minimum
> wage ...
>
> seems most computer support jobs are well non-existent .. entry level jobs
> are impossible to find and those that do exist, as you pointed out,

require
> 2 or 3 programming languages ... my recommendation to all now days is go

> school and get a BSc degree in some technical area and learn as many
> programming languages as possible and stay profiecient in the latest ...
>
> Bum
> suffering the big bummer of no work

Dan

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:03:27 -0500, "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have been looking for employment, most of the jobs I have found require
>that their candidates have a BS degree plus many years experience for $8-9
>/hr. Plus, on top of that they want you to be familiar with at least three
>programming languages.
>There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS degree,
>but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right now.
>
>Has anyone else had similar luck?

Yes, that's why I started my own business and can show my talents
without having to kiss-up to some corporate enron-equivalent personnel
worker in human resources. I have a dozen clients, half of which are
repeat customers, and have a 100% success rate at fixing their
computers.

Starting my own business was a great way to separate my voice from the
thousands of other screaming so-called certified nuts out there. At
the same time I'm running as fast as possible towards another
profession, getting an associate's degree at the local community
college. But at least being self-employed keeps some of the bills
away.

Dan

ap

There is no doubt that there is little future in PC servicing. Years ago
just being able to open a PC and add a card would elevate you to the status
of NASA rocket scientist or heart doctor. This is a thing of the past.
Most 12 year old kids can open a pc and build one. The guys that sign
checks see that young kids can do this and know that they don't really need
to spend more than 9-10$/hr and applicants will line up around the block for
these jobs. Most employers want a well rounded IT professional. Employers
are looking for someone who knows servers, hardware, network operating
systems, firewalls, programming, routing, security, email/exchange, and
knows how to meet business objectives with IT. Unless you are going to get
a job in a 200+ person IT department you will need to learn as much as you
can about everything you can get your hands on. I have a BS from Penn
State, an MCSA, MCP, A+, Net+, Security+, MOS, and SSCP. Yes, it took a lot
of time and money to get all the paper but it is paying off. First
employers will look at your continued pursuit of certifications, knowing
that this is what you do and you stay on top of technology and live the life
of a techie. Next, some software/hardware vendors require solutions
providers and resellers to have their staff trained and certified, MS is the
best at this. Most of these outfits will not even consider you unless you
have the right papers to hang on the wall.

I do work in IT, for the past 6 years, and have had quite a few bites on
resumes I sent out and ads I have responded too. Most of these jobs pay in
the 50K-60K range, I hope to hear real soon on one I had three interviews
for. A+ by itself is almost worthless, most employers do not really value
it. One of my first certs was A+ and I studied my ass off for it. I was
disappointed that nobody sees value in it so I did the best thing I could,
get the ones that people see value in. The Microsoft certs most definitely
have value. Security certs from ISC2 have value. Sad to say, CompTIA
really only gives you something to hang on the wall and that is about it, I
know I have three that are rather useless from them.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:03:27 -0500, "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I have been looking for employment, most of the jobs I have found require
> >that their candidates have a BS degree plus many years experience for

$8-9
> >/hr. Plus, on top of that they want you to be familiar with at least

three
> >programming languages.
> >There are a few companies I have applied to that don't require a BS

degree,
> >but there don't seem to be that many IT jobs out there right now.
> >
> >Has anyone else had similar luck?

> Yes, that's why I started my own business and can show my talents
> without having to kiss-up to some corporate enron-equivalent personnel
> worker in human resources. I have a dozen clients, half of which are
> repeat customers, and have a 100% success rate at fixing their
> computers.
>
> Starting my own business was a great way to separate my voice from the
> thousands of other screaming so-called certified nuts out there. At
> the same time I'm running as fast as possible towards another
> profession, getting an associate's degree at the local community
> college. But at least being self-employed keeps some of the bills
> away.
>
> Dan

Job Prospects for Software Engineers jrefactors@hotmail.com Java 4 01-10-2005 12:57 AM
Job Prospects for Software Engineers jrefactors@hotmail.com Java 5 01-03-2005 10:10 AM
A+ employment prospects Ice A+ Certification 0 12-01-2004 05:14 PM
Employment Prospects? Mari MCDST 2 05-14-2004 12:22 PM
advice on job prospects Javi Microsoft Certification 3 10-26-2003 05:45 PM

Advertisments