Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > MS Win2K3 spec recommendation

MS Win2K3 spec recommendation

Adam Apples

Greeting

We are a small business with 2 Winnt4.0 Servers PBC & BDC with the below
hadwares spec.'s. Going with Microsoft recomended spec. it look like we are
at the mimium spec for Win2K3 install. We would like to upgrade to MS Win2K3
Servers with A.D and Global Cat. and MS Exchane 2K3 for our 100 Clients
workstations. Has anyone have a similar hardware spec's as us and did the
upgrade any way? How did it perform if you did? Or should we just wait to
purchase a new Server with at least a 2.0 Ghz xeon (single) cpu, 1.0 GB ecc
Ram, 40 Gb scsi 15k rpm hdd etc; money is tight right now for us, and would
like your recommendation.

First Server spec's.

Dual P3 550 Mhz (would like to upgrade/install Win2K3 Global Cat. srv, DNS,
and DHCP)
512 ECC RAM
4 Scsi IBM's Hdd 18G.B (RAID 5)

Second Server spec's.

Dual P3 550 Mhz
1.0 Gb ECC RAM
4 Scsi IBM's Hdd 18G.B (RAID 5) has Exchange 5.5 installed (Would like to
upgrade to Exchange 2k3 with this spec's)

Any recommendation is greatly appericated! Thank you in advance.

Adam

returnoftheyeti@aol.com

The first recomandation is to ask this question in a more approiate
newsgroup, prehaps comp.sys.microsoft.networking or somthing similar.

Second, If you are asking this question here, I strongly reccomend that
you consider hiring a 3rd party networking company, at leaste for a
consult, presumably for the install also.

Third. You can do your install on that hardware. But it will be SLOW.
Very SLOW!. I have a 2K3 domain in my house on a p3-650 and 512 ECC
ram. Mind you this is my house. 4 users, no major load. It crawls.
Average CPU load is about 12%. And that is sitting idle.

My company just did the basic upgrade for another company, much the
same similar specs that you described. Just so you know, the softwatre
alone is going to cost over 10 grand. Not 1 grand, 10 grand.

2 Windows Server 2003 @ $999
3 20 pack CAL @ $799
Exchange Server Standered $699
60 Exchange User cals @ $67
TCO = $9,114

So no, my answer is dont even try it. Get hardware that can support
what you are trying to do.

Long answer.

Do it over the course of a few months. Do a fresh install of 2k3
Server, dont do a upgrade. Then add all the new users. Get all your
users conected to the new domain, and get it working smoothly.

Then do a clean install of 2k3 and Exchange 2k3. DONT MIGRATE. Use
EXmerge to transfer the mailboxes. Get everything working smoothly.
Then add it to you ne domain.

Adam Apples

Thank you for taking your time responding!

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...