Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > raid striping with one controller

raid striping with one controller

jjw

I have an Asus A8V Deluxe mobo. It has a pata raid controller that will
do Raid Striping. I have two identical WD 80GB hard drives that I would
like to stripe. The motherboard only has one pata raid
controller/connection, so if I set up the hard drives to do raid, they
would be on the same "channel", one as master and one as slave. I am
not real experienced with raid, but I thought that with raid striping u
generally had each drive on seperate channels. The question is: will I
still see a performance increase if I stripe the drives and connect them
on the same channel, and how much more performance would I see if the
drives were on seperate channels?

thanks

jjw

AG

"jjw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an Asus A8V Deluxe mobo. It has a pata raid controller that will do
>Raid Striping. I have two identical WD 80GB hard drives that I would like
>to stripe. The motherboard only has one pata raid controller/connection,
>so if I set up the hard drives to do raid, they would be on the same
>"channel", one as master and one as slave. I am not real experienced with
>raid, but I thought that with raid striping u generally had each drive on
>seperate channels. The question is: will I still see a performance
>increase if I stripe the drives and connect them on the same channel, and
>how much more performance would I see if the drives were on seperate
>channels?
>
> thanks
>
> jjw

The performance increases are small and the problem is that if you use RAID
0 you actually increase the potential of loosing all of the data on the
array. We often use RAID 1 and 5 on our servers.
There's a FAQ here:
http://www.recoverdata.com/raidfaq.htm and there are lots more sites that
explain it better than I can in a short post.

AG

jjw

AG wrote:
> The performance increases are small

are the perfomance increases small because they are on the same
controller, or because raid 0 does not generally give u a lot of extra
performance? I was under the impression that raid 0 gave u near double
performance, at least when on seperate controllers.

> and the problem is that if you use RAID 0 you actually increase the

potential of loosing all of the data on the array.

I am aware of the increase in risk, but am not concerned about it.

I was a little impatient so I set it up already, and actually, I have
already un-set it up as well. I researched it a little, and it looks
like the Promise Fasttrak 387 chip it has on there does software raid,
and not true raid. I'd have to get some sata drives to do hardware
raid. Because of that, it doesn't work well with linux....but thanks
for ur reply, I had this question even before I got this new
motherboard cuz I have seen others that had a similar setup.

jjw

AG

"jjw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...

> AG wrote:
>> The performance increases are small

> are the perfomance increases small because they are on the same
> controller, or because raid 0 does not generally give u a lot of extra
> performance? I was under the impression that raid 0 gave u near double
> performance, at least when on seperate controllers.
>
>> and the problem is that if you use RAID 0 you actually increase the

> potential of loosing all of the data on the array.
>
> I am aware of the increase in risk, but am not concerned about it.
>
> I was a little impatient so I set it up already, and actually, I have
> already un-set it up as well. I researched it a little, and it looks
> like the Promise Fasttrak 387 chip it has on there does software raid,
> and not true raid. I'd have to get some sata drives to do hardware
> raid. Because of that, it doesn't work well with linux....but thanks
> for ur reply, I had this question even before I got this new
> motherboard cuz I have seen others that had a similar setup.
>
> jjw

I've had LOTS of trouble with Linux and RAID. I have used software RAID but
always had problems getting the boot sector set up so that either drive will
boot. With the right controller you can get a true hardware RAID without
any problem but they are usually pretty expensive, a minimum of $200 or so
for a good one.

AG