Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > sss = Sony Still Sucks

sss = Sony Still Sucks

Dan

Hi, after past experiences with Sony products failing just after
warranty and not really up-to-par even while IN-warranty, I figured
repairing a Sony Vaio notebook wouldn't be too big a deal. I figured
maybe my bad experienes was just a fluke. Maybe their support is a
little better now.

So the hard drive went bad in this Vaio...no biggie, happens all the
time. The Dell I swapped out a few months ago was a piece of cake,
and this looks like the same type. Simply replace HD and re-install
windows 98. The owner said she had Win98 previously installed, but
doesn't have the original recovery CDs.

Think it's that easy? Naw.

Turns out theres SPECIAL software that needs to be installed with
windows 98. Things like a "sony notebook control device utility", and
a "sony EXTENDED BIOS dynamic link library" and even a "sony UTILITY
dynamic link library". This is software that's NOT OFFERED on their
website, but which are required by every OTHER support software
offered. Dont have the above utils? TOO BAD (it's not on the 'net,
either)

And to top it all off, the Vaio shuts down erratically. Out of
nowhere in regular 98-mode, pewwwww...<everything shuts off>. Safe
mode is still "safe"....safe without even a CD-ROM drive available.

So, just wanted to say that SONY STILL SUCKS. They don't even provide
the recovery CD on their parts site, let alone the free software
support...talk about a catch-22, you need the recovery CD utils, but
you can't even BUY them from Sony (and every web site trying to sell
copies seems to have been conveniently "removed")

HEY SONY, STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON STOCKHOLDERS AND YOUR LEGAL
DEPARTMENT AND START SPENDING IT ON THE CUSTOMER AGAIN

Dan

Remo

I always hated any type of laptops just for the fact they are so proprietary
like you said. Plus I have had bad experience with an IBM ThinkPad. What
you think of Sony Laptops I think the same about IBM. They also have this
proprietary software called Mware thats also a pain in the ass. You can get
hold of it from the internet but I still have an old 100Mhz Thinkpad rotting
away in a cupboard under the stairs just because I carn't get the thing to
work anymore..

Remo A+

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, after past experiences with Sony products failing just after
> warranty and not really up-to-par even while IN-warranty, I figured
> repairing a Sony Vaio notebook wouldn't be too big a deal. I figured
> maybe my bad experienes was just a fluke. Maybe their support is a
> little better now.
>
> So the hard drive went bad in this Vaio...no biggie, happens all the
> time. The Dell I swapped out a few months ago was a piece of cake,
> and this looks like the same type. Simply replace HD and re-install
> windows 98. The owner said she had Win98 previously installed, but
> doesn't have the original recovery CDs.
>
> Think it's that easy? Naw.
>
> Turns out theres SPECIAL software that needs to be installed with
> windows 98. Things like a "sony notebook control device utility", and
> a "sony EXTENDED BIOS dynamic link library" and even a "sony UTILITY
> dynamic link library". This is software that's NOT OFFERED on their
> website, but which are required by every OTHER support software
> offered. Dont have the above utils? TOO BAD (it's not on the 'net,
> either)
>
> And to top it all off, the Vaio shuts down erratically. Out of
> nowhere in regular 98-mode, pewwwww...<everything shuts off>. Safe
> mode is still "safe"....safe without even a CD-ROM drive available.
>
> So, just wanted to say that SONY STILL SUCKS. They don't even provide
> the recovery CD on their parts site, let alone the free software
> support...talk about a catch-22, you need the recovery CD utils, but
> you can't even BUY them from Sony (and every web site trying to sell
> copies seems to have been conveniently "removed")
>
> HEY SONY, STOP SPENDING SO MUCH ON STOCKHOLDERS AND YOUR LEGAL
> DEPARTMENT AND START SPENDING IT ON THE CUSTOMER AGAIN
>
> Dan

Bum

"Remo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3ycyd.6240$(E-Mail Removed):

> Plus I have had bad experience with an IBM ThinkPad. What
> you think of Sony Laptops I think the same about IBM. They also have
> this proprietary software called Mware thats also a pain in the ass.

Chuckle when I read the original message I could not help but think of the
stink pads and my days of having 3Com, IBM,and M$ Engineers scratching
their heads for some the installation problems ... all because IBM wrote
drivers for one nic for one hardware platform under one M$ OS and decided
it was good for all ..

Nil

On 22 Dec 2004, "Remo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:3ycyd.6240$(E-Mail Removed):

> Plus I have had bad experience with an IBM ThinkPad. What you
> think of Sony Laptops I think the same about IBM.

Not to mention that the Thinkpad's periperals are all specific to
one model, so you can't use, say the external floppy from one on
another. Makes it hard to have a stable of spare parts, unless you
spend a lot of money, and don't mind buying parts that will never be
used. Unless things have changed in the past couple of years, which
I think is unlikely.

Thinkpads... I hate 'em.

returnoftheyeti@aol.com

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/swu-li...EN&mdl=PCGF350
$10 says the ME drivers will work on 98se

STFW

News Will

You might be interested in a communication from Sony regarding the software
in a 2 year old IDTV.

They obviously don't give a fcuk.

It's the last Sony I buy.
Just replaced the dying Sony 20" in the bedroom, over the weekend with a
Thomson got in the sales.
Here's their response...

Dear xxxxxx

Thank you for your recent e-mail. Please allow me to apologise for the delay
in replying.

First I would like to advise you that the recent software upgrades have been
to update the software in newer model televisions, to eliminate the banner
sticking and enable the sets to receive the 7 day Electronic Programme
Guide.

In regards to the software version you are running on your TV this is up to
date and requires no change. Unfortunately the first generation integrated
digital sets such as your KV28DX30 will never be compatible with the current
BBC multiscreen transmissions, 7 day Electronic Programme Guide and will
struggle with the digital teletext (best not to use it). It is simply not
possible to update the software in the set to allow them to fully decrypt
the signal format used in the Freeview broadcasts. The reason for this is
that the first generation software was designed to a specification provided
by ITV Digital prior to their demise. Obviously, for reasons beyond the
control of television manufacturers, ITV Digital went into receivership and
free to air digital broadcasting ceased. There is now a consortium
consisting, amongst others, of the BBC and Sky who have begun transmission
of the Freeview service. Whilst the actual programmes and digital text can
be received by your set, the interactive services cannot be accessed by the
software because it requires the use of different protocols than those
employed for the original ITV Digital version.

I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

With Regards

xxxxxxxxxx
For and on behalf of
Sony United Kingdom Limited
Customer Information Centre

«BONEHEAD>>

"News Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
> You might be interested in a communication from Sony regarding the

software
> in a 2 year old IDTV.
>
> They obviously don't give a fcuk.
>
> It's the last Sony I buy.
> Just replaced the dying Sony 20" in the bedroom, over the weekend with a
> Thomson got in the sales.
> Here's their response...
>

> Dear xxxxxx
>
> Thank you for your recent e-mail. Please allow me to apologise for the

delay
> in replying.
>
> First I would like to advise you that the recent software upgrades have

been
> to update the software in newer model televisions, to eliminate the banner
> sticking and enable the sets to receive the 7 day Electronic Programme
> Guide.
>
> In regards to the software version you are running on your TV this is up

> date and requires no change. Unfortunately the first generation integrated
> digital sets such as your KV28DX30 will never be compatible with the

current
> BBC multiscreen transmissions, 7 day Electronic Programme Guide and will
> struggle with the digital teletext (best not to use it). It is simply not
> possible to update the software in the set to allow them to fully decrypt
> the signal format used in the Freeview broadcasts. The reason for this is
> that the first generation software was designed to a specification

provided
> by ITV Digital prior to their demise. Obviously, for reasons beyond the
> control of television manufacturers, ITV Digital went into receivership

and
> free to air digital broadcasting ceased. There is now a consortium
> consisting, amongst others, of the BBC and Sky who have begun transmission
> of the Freeview service. Whilst the actual programmes and digital text can
> be received by your set, the interactive services cannot be accessed by

the
> software because it requires the use of different protocols than those
> employed for the original ITV Digital version.
>
> I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause.
>
> With Regards
>
> xxxxxxxxxx
> For and on behalf of
> Sony United Kingdom Limited
> Customer Information Centre

It seems they have provided you with a reasonable explanation... If the
protocols your TV was built with became obsolete due to no fault at Sony
how can you bitch about Sony.. Grow up
--
<B0N3H3@D>

News Will

"??BONEHEAD>>" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

[snip]

> It seems they have provided you with a reasonable explanation... If the
> protocols your TV was built with became obsolete due to no fault at Sony
> how can you bitch about Sony.. Grow up

In 2 years? A child couldn't grow up in that tmie.

There's still nearly 3 years of warranty left.

L2TPv3 tunnel and SSS pfisterfarm Cisco 0 06-20-2008 01:25 PM
Vista still sucks kpg MCSE 49 06-19-2007 06:42 PM
How can I disable SSS feature? jjhojin Cisco 0 05-27-2005 07:30 AM
sss Juergen Heinzl C++ 1 06-15-2004 12:34 PM
sss jolie Computer Support 2 11-22-2003 03:50 AM

Advertisments