Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Anyone HAve Trouble With Maxtor Rebates?

Re: Anyone HAve Trouble With Maxtor Rebates?

jnoneill

I have had the EXACT problem with them. I bought the hard drive from
Fry's and I chose Maxtor only because of the rebate offer. First of
all, I thought it would be a $50 rebate. I sent them every code on
the box, then they sent me an email back saying 'UPC code was not
sent' and said the rebate was $30 or a choice of a gift certificate or
other items. There was ABSOLUTELY no code left on the box to send
them. In the email, they didn't include a contact number or anything
- that's because they don't want you to get in touch with them. I
sent an email saying there was no other code. By this time, naturally
the rebate expiration date had come.

They are scandalous.

Nil

On 18 Dec 2004, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid (jnoneill) wrote
in news:41c4a1de$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have had the EXACT problem with them. I bought the hard drive
> from Fry's and I chose Maxtor only because of the rebate offer.
> First of all, I thought it would be a $50 rebate. I sent them
> every code on the box, then they sent me an email back saying 'UPC
> code was not sent' and said the rebate was $30 or a choice of a
> gift certificate or other items. There was ABSOLUTELY no code
> left on the box to send them.

I ALWAYS keep a xerox of the bar code and all receipts before I send
the rebates out. I've never actually need them yet, but I assume I'll
get into your predicament some day and I'll be glad I have some backup.

Patrick Michael

"jnoneill" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:41c4a1de$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have had the EXACT problem with them. I bought the hard drive from
> Fry's and I chose Maxtor only because of the rebate offer. First of
> all, I thought it would be a $50 rebate. I sent them every code on
> the box, then they sent me an email back saying 'UPC code was not
> sent' and said the rebate was $30 or a choice of a gift certificate or
> other items. There was ABSOLUTELY no code left on the box to send
> them. In the email, they didn't include a contact number or anything
> - that's because they don't want you to get in touch with them. I
> sent an email saying there was no other code. By this time, naturally
> the rebate expiration date had come.
>
> They are scandalous.

IMHO, almost all mail-in rebates are scams. They will either magically
"lose yours" in the mail, say that you didn't include something that you
actually did, or require some obscure "proof of purchase" that they are
ambigious about in their instructions. The only recourse is to do like Nil
suggested...Xerox everything that you send in!

About a month ago, my dad bought a chair from OfficeDepot that had a $50
mail-in rebate. He sent it in on time, and even got it postmarked before
the due date. However, they had the gall to decline him and say that the
rebate offer had expired before they processed it. Fortunately, he had
saved copies of *everything* and so he went to the local OfficeDepot where
he bought it and just reemed them a new one until they gave him the $50
rebate themselves.

I sent in a rebate for a 100-pack of CD-rs I bought at Best Buy last April.
I never got as damn much as a reply, but I gave up because I didn't think to
copy and document all my stuff. Needless to say, that's the last time I'll
ever send in a rebate without copying anything. That's also the last time
I'll ever shop at Best Buy.

Tom MacIntyre

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 05:44:26 -0600, "Patrick Michael"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"jnoneill" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>news:41c4a1de$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have had the EXACT problem with them. I bought the hard drive from
>> Fry's and I chose Maxtor only because of the rebate offer. First of
>> all, I thought it would be a $50 rebate. I sent them every code on
>> the box, then they sent me an email back saying 'UPC code was not
>> sent' and said the rebate was $30 or a choice of a gift certificate or
>> other items. There was ABSOLUTELY no code left on the box to send
>> them. In the email, they didn't include a contact number or anything
>> - that's because they don't want you to get in touch with them. I
>> sent an email saying there was no other code. By this time, naturally
>> the rebate expiration date had come.
>>
>> They are scandalous.

>IMHO, almost all mail-in rebates are scams. They will either magically
>"lose yours" in the mail, say that you didn't include something that you
>actually did, or require some obscure "proof of purchase" that they are
>ambigious about in their instructions. The only recourse is to do like Nil
>suggested...Xerox everything that you send in!
>
>About a month ago, my dad bought a chair from OfficeDepot that had a $50
>mail-in rebate. He sent it in on time, and even got it postmarked before
>the due date. However, they had the gall to decline him

I couldn't resist this Patrick...first the recline him, then they
decline him...I know, it's likely not a reclining chair, but I think
in strange ways.

Tom

Patrick Michael

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Pat,
>
> I do over 200 rebates per year. I get almost all of them with no further
> action on my part. On less than 10% of them, some for of followup is
> necessary, but I "ultimately" only fail to get 2 or 3 per year.
>
> [Right now my "balance" of outstanding rebates is over $1,000, which, for
> me, is not at all unusual.]
>
> But yes, you SHOULD, ROUTINELY make copies of the ENTIRE submission
> (rebate form, receipt, UPC code) for EVERY rebate.
>
> And Kudos to Symantec, I had FIVE "Norton" rebates from Black Friday
> (November 26th) in my mailbox on December 8th.

I guess a lot of it depends on who you're dealing with. I have had *very*
bad luck with rebates from BestBuy and such, but other rebates from like
Verizon and major computer companies (HP, Dell, Gateway, etc) have usually
been pretty easy.