Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > compaq question

Reply
Thread Tools

compaq question

 
 
Tom MacIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:09:48 -0500, "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>there are four screws--two accessible on the outside section of the drive
>where the case opens normally--two on the inside of the drive cage. Drive
>cage appears to be one piece attached to the case itself. No visible means
>of removing the cage---perhaps I am overlooking something simple.
>


Is it possibly accessible with an offset screwdriver?

Tom

>
>"Bum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:Xns95C4214C91855Bumbummerorg@24.24.2.165.. .
>> "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:wm5xd.21953$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > did that--didn't work.
>> > the problem arises when I have to get to the final two screws--I
>> > cannot because the case is riveted together.
>> >
>> >
>> > Going to improvise.
>> >

>>
>> Where are these final two screws located at? Is there a tray mechanism
>> that needs to be slid out? Is there a drive cage that swings out? When I
>> work on these machines this process works. That is why I am confused when
>> you say final two screws.
>>
>> Bum

>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
«bonehead;\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:25:31 GMT, Thumper <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:53:25 -0500, "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>clicking on the link always does me no good--because it downloads and
> >>nothing displays--so it is virtually a dead link. Is there anyway to

get an
> >>HTML version?
> >>

> >
> >Comes up fine for me
> >Thumper

>
>

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...&lang=en&cc=us
>


In some compaqs the drive cage itself comes all the way out of the case..
usually one screw and aacouple of slots hold it in place...

--
<B0N3H3@D>
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert Einstein


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
«bonehead;\)
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004

"«bonehead" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vZgxd.2689$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
> "Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 00:25:31 GMT, Thumper <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:53:25 -0500, "me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > >
> > >>clicking on the link always does me no good--because it downloads and
> > >>nothing displays--so it is virtually a dead link. Is there anyway to

> get an
> > >>HTML version?
> > >>
> > >
> > >Comes up fine for me
> > >Thumper

> >
> >

>

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/m...&lang=en&cc=us
> >

>
> In some compaqs the drive cage itself comes all the way out of the case..
> usually one screw and aacouple of slots hold it in place...
>


PS.. sometimes it helps to think like an over efficient production engineer,
that is how would all these pieces go in the fastest...
Compaqs are not known for being eeasy to work with once you
get them home...


--
<B0N3H3@D>
"I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious." Albert Einstein



 
Reply With Quote
 
Lonny Bruce
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-19-2004
You wrote:

"The link to
the PDF file containging instructions on part removal, and case removal was
a dead link--the pdf finished downloading, but there was nothing in it."

Try right clicking on the link, save target as... and then once it has
downloaded to your computer, try to open it from the file you saved it to.

Not sure if you are using XP w/ SP2, but I have run into this problem before
with .pdf files and XP SP2.


"me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lKHwd.10873$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Got a question that I can't seem to find the answer for, and I have spoken
> with a "tech" from Hewlett Packard and the link they sent me to was dead,
> so
> I am at a loss.
>
> My question is this: I have a new compaq presario with approximately a
> 32Gb
> drive. I want to completely remove that drive and install a newer, larger
> drive, however my problem begins when I go to take the drive out--one
> side
> of the case is completely riveted shut, with no seeable method to remove
> it,
> and there is not enough distance between the inside section of the drive
> and
> the side of the case to slip a screwdriver in. Does anyone know how to
> remove the case without damaging it, or how to remove the drive itself?
>
> I have been to the Hp website and like all other aspects of HP--it is
> useless. I use the computer because it was basically free, and I did a
> few
> minor things to it and it now works great--unusual for an Hp... The link
> to
> the PDF file containging instructions on part removal, and case removal
> was
> a dead link--the pdf finished downloading, but there was nothing in it. I
> can't seem to find an Html version anywhere, so does anyone have any
> ideas--other than cutting or damaging the case, or throwing the entire
> computer out--both are not an option........
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Martin Kleinebeck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2004
I got a presario isn't one side rivted and the other with screws????

I have seen poprivets used to prevent access so get out the drill and
drill the head of the rivet off. I just to ask another question maybe
yopu know. How do you get to the bios setup when it is protected by a
password???

Another mistery olf the comos


> Got a question that I can't seem to find the answer for, and I have spoken
> with a "tech" from Hewlett Packard and the link they sent me to was dead, so
> I am at a loss.
>
> My question is this: I have a new compaq presario with approximately a 32Gb
> drive. I want to completely remove that drive and install a newer, larger
> drive, however my problem begins when I go to take the drive out--one side
> of the case is completely riveted shut, with no seeable method to remove it,
> and there is not enough distance between the inside section of the drive and
> the side of the case to slip a screwdriver in. Does anyone know how to
> remove the case without damaging it, or how to remove the drive itself?
>
> I have been to the Hp website and like all other aspects of HP--it is
> useless. I use the computer because it was basically free, and I did a few
> minor things to it and it now works great--unusual for an Hp... The link to
> the PDF file containging instructions on part removal, and case removal was
> a dead link--the pdf finished downloading, but there was nothing in it. I
> can't seem to find an Html version anywhere, so does anyone have any
> ideas--other than cutting or damaging the case, or throwing the entire
> computer out--both are not an option........
>
> Any help appreciated.


--
This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
Site : http://www.mesnews.net

 
Reply With Quote
 
Tom MacIntyre
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-29-2004
On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 21:59:36 GMT, Martin Kleinebeck
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I got a presario isn't one side rivted and the other with screws????
>
>I have seen poprivets used to prevent access so get out the drill and
>drill the head of the rivet off. I just to ask another question maybe
>yopu know. How do you get to the bios setup when it is protected by a
>password???


Remove the CMOS battery or enable the CMOS clear jumper, if there is
one.

Tom

>
>Another mistery olf the comos
>
>
>> Got a question that I can't seem to find the answer for, and I have spoken
>> with a "tech" from Hewlett Packard and the link they sent me to was dead, so
>> I am at a loss.
>>
>> My question is this: I have a new compaq presario with approximately a 32Gb
>> drive. I want to completely remove that drive and install a newer, larger
>> drive, however my problem begins when I go to take the drive out--one side
>> of the case is completely riveted shut, with no seeable method to remove it,
>> and there is not enough distance between the inside section of the drive and
>> the side of the case to slip a screwdriver in. Does anyone know how to
>> remove the case without damaging it, or how to remove the drive itself?
>>
>> I have been to the Hp website and like all other aspects of HP--it is
>> useless. I use the computer because it was basically free, and I did a few
>> minor things to it and it now works great--unusual for an Hp... The link to
>> the PDF file containging instructions on part removal, and case removal was
>> a dead link--the pdf finished downloading, but there was nothing in it. I
>> can't seem to find an Html version anywhere, so does anyone have any
>> ideas--other than cutting or damaging the case, or throwing the entire
>> computer out--both are not an option........
>>
>> Any help appreciated.


 
Reply With Quote
 
AG
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-30-2004

"Martin Kleinebeck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I got a presario isn't one side rivted and the other with screws????
>
> I have seen poprivets used to prevent access so get out the drill and
> drill the head of the rivet off. I just to ask another question maybe yopu
> know. How do you get to the bios setup when it is protected by a
> password???
>
> Another mistery olf the comos

Some laptops have a couple of contacts that you have to short with a
screwdriver to clear the CMOS. You just have to find the manual for that
particular machine online.


AG


>
>
>> Got a question that I can't seem to find the answer for, and I have
>> spoken
>> with a "tech" from Hewlett Packard and the link they sent me to was dead,
>> so
>> I am at a loss.
>>
>> My question is this: I have a new compaq presario with approximately a
>> 32Gb
>> drive. I want to completely remove that drive and install a newer,
>> larger
>> drive, however my problem begins when I go to take the drive out--one
>> side
>> of the case is completely riveted shut, with no seeable method to remove
>> it,
>> and there is not enough distance between the inside section of the drive
>> and
>> the side of the case to slip a screwdriver in. Does anyone know how to
>> remove the case without damaging it, or how to remove the drive itself?
>>
>> I have been to the Hp website and like all other aspects of HP--it is
>> useless. I use the computer because it was basically free, and I did a
>> few
>> minor things to it and it now works great--unusual for an Hp... The link
>> to
>> the PDF file containging instructions on part removal, and case removal
>> was
>> a dead link--the pdf finished downloading, but there was nothing in it.
>> I
>> can't seem to find an Html version anywhere, so does anyone have any
>> ideas--other than cutting or damaging the case, or throwing the entire
>> computer out--both are not an option........
>>
>> Any help appreciated.

>
> --
> This is an automatic signature of MesNews.
> Site : http://www.mesnews.net
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RAM question -- what kind of memory does a Compaq Presario 6000 use? JDL Computer Information 1 06-25-2006 05:10 PM
Compaq Armada Question Charlie Evans Computer Support 3 06-14-2005 12:44 AM
Compaq question Frank Booth Snr Computer Support 4 05-29-2005 01:50 PM
Compaq Computer Question.... JAMES Computer Information 5 04-12-2005 07:36 PM
Compaq Hardware Question Denny Computer Support 2 05-15-2004 02:00 AM



Advertisments