Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Recovery from gdisk

Recovery from gdisk

Gene

Any tool suggestions for recovering a Win 2K disk that was prematurely
reimaged by gdisk?

MF

does it have an undo?

heh, sorry. otherwise, you're probably screwed without a previous backup.
have a previous backup? you will next time, eh?

yet otherwise, there are dozens of un-partition, and un-erase programs, some
of which claim they can recover overwritten files. suggest you get the best
and work down from there, but don't really know what the best one is. can
tell you this: hook up another - bigger - hard drive and try to recover the
whole disk to that.

I had one such adventure, but the files were not overwritten. Norton system
tools recovered about 25 percent of the deleted files; a freebie i found on
the net recovered 98 percent of them.

good luck

mike

"Gene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Any tool suggestions for recovering a Win 2K disk that was prematurely
> reimaged by gdisk?

Gene

Actually trying to help someone else. Just got the machine today. The
machine was gdisk'd to repartition it and then reimaged. The folks who
had done this had backed up the files, but not realized there had been
an application error while backing up the original data.

Do you know the name of any of these programs which can recover
overwritten files?

Thanks
MF wrote:
> does it have an undo?
>
> heh, sorry. otherwise, you're probably screwed without a previous

backup.
> have a previous backup? you will next time, eh?
>
> yet otherwise, there are dozens of un-partition, and un-erase

programs, some
> of which claim they can recover overwritten files. suggest you get

the best
> and work down from there, but don't really know what the best one is.

can
> tell you this: hook up another - bigger - hard drive and try to

recover the
> whole disk to that.
>
> I had one such adventure, but the files were not overwritten. Norton

system
> tools recovered about 25 percent of the deleted files; a freebie i

found on
> the net recovered 98 percent of them.
>
> good luck
>
> mike
>

> "Gene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Any tool suggestions for recovering a Win 2K disk that was

prematurely
> > reimaged by gdisk?

JimWaeħ

Good luck after a reimaging -- I believe there are some million dollar
machines that might recover 20% of the data

"Gene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Actually trying to help someone else. Just got the machine today. The
> machine was gdisk'd to repartition it and then reimaged. The folks who
> had done this had backed up the files, but not realized there had been
> an application error while backing up the original data.
>
> Do you know the name of any of these programs which can recover
> overwritten files?
>
> Thanks
> MF wrote:
>> does it have an undo?
>>
>> heh, sorry. otherwise, you're probably screwed without a previous

> backup.
>> have a previous backup? you will next time, eh?
>>
>> yet otherwise, there are dozens of un-partition, and un-erase

> programs, some
>> of which claim they can recover overwritten files. suggest you get

> the best
>> and work down from there, but don't really know what the best one is.

> can
>> tell you this: hook up another - bigger - hard drive and try to

> recover the
>> whole disk to that.
>>
>> I had one such adventure, but the files were not overwritten. Norton

> system
>> tools recovered about 25 percent of the deleted files; a freebie i

> found on
>> the net recovered 98 percent of them.
>>
>> good luck
>>
>> mike
>>

>> "Gene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> > Any tool suggestions for recovering a Win 2K disk that was

> prematurely
>> > reimaged by gdisk?

MF

There's Easy Recovery Pro, File Scavenger, PC Inspector-File Recovery,
PowerQuest's Lost and Found (didn't work well),, Fast File Recovery, and a
couple of others whose names I can't locate.

Again, the data I recovered had NOT been overwritten, but some of the
programs *claim* they will recover overwritten files. But I think that's
questionable, especially if you consider affordability. The one that worked
for me was PC Inspector, if I recall correctly. But it doesn't claim to
recover overwritten data. Search google for file recovery or data recovery
or undelete programs. But if ghost wrote to the disk, you may be behind
the eight ball, unless you have a back up.

good luck

"Gene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Actually trying to help someone else. Just got the machine today. The
> machine was gdisk'd to repartition it and then reimaged. The folks who
> had done this had backed up the files, but not realized there had been
> an application error while backing up the original data.
>
> Do you know the name of any of these programs which can recover
> overwritten files?
>
> Thanks
> MF wrote:
> > does it have an undo?
> >
> > heh, sorry. otherwise, you're probably screwed without a previous

> backup.
> > have a previous backup? you will next time, eh?
> >
> > yet otherwise, there are dozens of un-partition, and un-erase

> programs, some
> > of which claim they can recover overwritten files. suggest you get

> the best
> > and work down from there, but don't really know what the best one is.

> can
> > tell you this: hook up another - bigger - hard drive and try to

> recover the
> > whole disk to that.
> >
> > I had one such adventure, but the files were not overwritten. Norton

> system
> > tools recovered about 25 percent of the deleted files; a freebie i

> found on
> > the net recovered 98 percent of them.
> >
> > good luck
> >
> > mike
> >

> > "Gene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > > Any tool suggestions for recovering a Win 2K disk that was

> prematurely
> > > reimaged by gdisk?

Gene

Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect my friends are SOL but I'll take
the time and try each of these packages. Hopefully each will have a
demo version which will display the recoverable files/folders. Then
which ever one, if any, finds the lost files I'll be able to purchase
the package.

Gene

Gdisk crap Rob J NZ Computing 23 07-31-2005 11:40 PM
Recovery from gdisk Gene A+ Certification 0 12-15-2004 03:33 AM
Re: GDisk partitioning Adam Leinss A+ Certification 0 08-11-2003 05:45 PM

Advertisments