Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > XP SP2

XP SP2

Rod Long

I installed XP SP2 on all 3 of my machines running XP Pro and then installs
were flawless. I then loaded SP2 on my niece's machine which is a Dell model
8300 (P4 2.4\512ram\Gforce4 video\60gig hard drive\cdrw & dvd with XP home).
The machine was rarely used before she got it as a gift. I booted back up
after install and could even boot into 'safe mode'. I 'wiped and reloaded'
XP Pro 3 times and after each time, installed SP2. After the initial windows
logo, the screen would go blank each time. I then 'wiped and reloaded' again
and didn't install SP2 and ran Sysoft Diagnostic software and Bit Pro
burn-in software and the system checked out fine. The power supply is fine,
as is the hard drive, video card, and both cdrw & dvd and ram sticks. All of
the hardware checks out ok. Something in the motherboard maybe doesn't like
SP2? When I give it back to her, I will tell her not to install any upgrade
patches or service packs until I can find out what the deal is. Any
ideas\opinions?

Rocco

MEROGVINGIAN

thats why I don't load service packs, I just loaded sp 1 when 2 came
out......

"Rod Long" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I installed XP SP2 on all 3 of my machines running XP Pro and then

installs
> were flawless. I then loaded SP2 on my niece's machine which is a Dell

model
> 8300 (P4 2.4\512ram\Gforce4 video\60gig hard drive\cdrw & dvd with XP

home).
> The machine was rarely used before she got it as a gift. I booted back up
> after install and could even boot into 'safe mode'. I 'wiped and reloaded'
> XP Pro 3 times and after each time, installed SP2. After the initial

windows
> logo, the screen would go blank each time. I then 'wiped and reloaded'

again
> and didn't install SP2 and ran Sysoft Diagnostic software and Bit Pro
> burn-in software and the system checked out fine. The power supply is

fine,
> as is the hard drive, video card, and both cdrw & dvd and ram sticks. All

of
> the hardware checks out ok. Something in the motherboard maybe doesn't

like
> SP2? When I give it back to her, I will tell her not to install any

upgrade
> patches or service packs until I can find out what the deal is. Any
> ideas\opinions?
>
> Rocco

Bum

"Rod Long" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I installed XP SP2 on all 3 of my machines running XP Pro and then
> installs were flawless. I then loaded SP2 on my niece's machine which
> is a Dell model 8300 (P4 2.4\512ram\Gforce4 video\60gig hard
> drive\cdrw & dvd with XP home). The machine was rarely used before she
> got it as a gift. I booted back up after install and could even boot
> into 'safe mode'. I 'wiped and reloaded' XP Pro 3 times and after each
> time, installed SP2. After the initial windows logo, the screen would
> go blank each time. I then 'wiped and reloaded' again and didn't
> install SP2 and ran Sysoft Diagnostic software and Bit Pro burn-in
> software and the system checked out fine. The power supply is fine,
> as is the hard drive, video card, and both cdrw & dvd and ram sticks.
> All of the hardware checks out ok. Something in the motherboard maybe
> doesn't like SP2? When I give it back to her, I will tell her not to
> install any upgrade patches or service packs until I can find out what
> the deal is. Any ideas\opinions?
>
> Rocco

Went through similar problem here on a Dell 4200. After testing the
hardware, replacing the video card, I started restoring our systems until
the problem was eliminated. I found the problem, in my case, to be
resource conflict between Micrsoft Media Player 10 and the NVida video
adapter. Once Media Player 10 was removed the problem was eliminated.

I have been running SP2 for XP Home since its release with no problem
(knock on wood). So, if you are running media player 10, try removing
that and see if that resolves the problem. If not, look to see what
resources are conflicting with the video. Also, do not ... repeat do not
.... use NVida video drivers use the ones furnished by MS. I found the
NVida drivers caused the system to start rebooting without warning ....

Bum

Rod Long

Thanks for the suggestions. I copied your reply and saved it in Word for
future reference. I have already had 2 other people with Dell 4200's call
with problems after installing SP2. Coincedence or pattern? I guess ours is
not to wonder why, but just fix the damn thing. Thanks again for the input.

Rocco