Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: What memory to use?

Re: What memory to use?

me

do you get any beeps whatsoever without the memory installed?

Are you positive the memory is good?
Are you positive the cpu is good?
Did you buy buffered or unbuffered memory?

if your computer beeps without the memory installed, then try installing the
memory a stick at a time. Try one stick, turn the machine on and listen for
the beep.
Then turn it off, take the stick out and try the other in the exact same
slot. Next repeat for the opposite slot, and then try both modules
together.

If it still does not work--you should contact the m/b technical support line
and ask them if the m/b can handle the memory that you bought--just give
then the memory specs. Personally I hate dealing with manufacturers tech
support because most of them have absolutely no idea what they are doing.

Anyway, short of that you can attempt to stick a POST Diagnostic card into
an open PCI slot and see if you get any errors.

"st" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C_rvd.3010$(E-Mail Removed) k.net...
> Hello There:
>
> I am enjoying putting a computer together and facing the
> challenges, here is my question:
>
> I just got PCCHIPS "M851G V1.5" motherboard w/a 462 socket, an AMD CPU
> 2200+266 ATHLON XP and two modules of memory of Viking DDRAM 256 mb 32 X

64