Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Computer won't post

Computer won't post

Bill Jones

I am having a problem solving this booting issue with a Compaq
Presario 4010CL. The system was originally factory refurbished. Having
the system for only one month the hard drive failed, and it was taken
in for warranty work. They told me that the motherboard had to be
replaced as well. All warranty work so no problem.

Now a few months later (out of warranty of course) I was working on
the computer doing a simple word document, and suddenly the system
running Win XP Home (sp-2) froze solid. Tried to reboot the system and
nothing. So I left it for a couple days and came back to try again and
the system wouldn't even post. No beeps at all. So I took the case off
and you could hear the fans start-up for a second then stop for a
second then start-up again. Now this is all the system would do. So I
replaced the power supply with a known good supply. Same thing. Fans
start and stop and would continue this way forever and not boot or
post. I then removed and re-sat all PCI devices, Ram, CPU. Computer
then booted and was okay for a couple days then froze again. I once
again removed and re-sat the CPU only and then started the computer
and it worked. Again only for a few min's then froze and would not
reboot.

Now what I am I looking at replacing? Does this sound like a
Motherboard problem, or is it the CPU? Or possibly something else.
This system is not booting so I will try anything. All suggestions
greatly appreciated.

Rey@RadioGuy.com

Sounds like the mobo to me. I've always had plenty of parts around
the shop to swap and problems like that were more often the board than
the chip. Good luck.

Rey
---
http://RadioGuy.com
http://www.RadioGuy.com

«bonehead;\)

"st" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9osvd.3032$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> Maybe you need to replace the fan, cpu oveheats and freezes?
>
> "Bill Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I am having a problem solving this booting issue with a Compaq
> > Presario 4010CL. The system was originally factory refurbished. Having
> > the system for only one month the hard drive failed, and it was taken
> > in for warranty work. They told me that the motherboard had to be
> > replaced as well. All warranty work so no problem.
> >
> > Now a few months later (out of warranty of course) I was working on
> > the computer doing a simple word document, and suddenly the system
> > running Win XP Home (sp-2) froze solid. Tried to reboot the system and
> > nothing. So I left it for a couple days and came back to try again and
> > the system wouldn't even post. No beeps at all. So I took the case off
> > and you could hear the fans start-up for a second then stop for a
> > second then start-up again. Now this is all the system would do. So I
> > replaced the power supply with a known good supply. Same thing. Fans
> > start and stop and would continue this way forever and not boot or
> > post. I then removed and re-sat all PCI devices, Ram, CPU. Computer
> > then booted and was okay for a couple days then froze again. I once
> > again removed and re-sat the CPU only and then started the computer
> > and it worked. Again only for a few min's then froze and would not
> > reboot.
> >
> > Now what I am I looking at replacing? Does this sound like a
> > Motherboard problem, or is it the CPU? Or possibly something else.
> > This system is not booting so I will try anything. All suggestions
> > greatly appreciated.

Being a compaq I would bet it's a mobo failure, probably related to the dimm
sockets... alhough heat might be the issue, the part about not wanting to
boot
is a problem I've run into in alot of compaqs, usually memory related...

--
<B0N3H3@D>

Patrick Michael

"Bill Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...

> Now what I am I looking at replacing? Does this sound like a
> Motherboard problem, or is it the CPU? Or possibly something else.
> This system is not booting so I will try anything. All suggestions
> greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't rule out the CPU. One time, I didn't have mine seated all the
way in the ZIF socket, and it had a similar non-boot...no beeps, fans just
randomly spinned around, etc. I guess it's possible the old motherboard
foobared the CPU, which apparently they didn't bother to replace when they
reapired it.

Or it could just be another bad motherboard...hard to say.