Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: OK u guys talked me out of it

Re: OK u guys talked me out of it

Dan

On 13 Dec 2004 16:39:04 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)xzcvzxc (He Hate
Retard and Moron) wrote:

>Due to all the Dell bashing, I've decided to go with Sony Vaio instead. Could
>someone tell me which model/configuration I need for my needs: Internet on the
>go (like at a park), GPS compatible (so I can use it while driving), a burner
>so I can download movies and such off Internet.

I also have a client who needs their hard drive replaced on a sony
vaio (looks an aweful lot like a dell...same manuf?). They asked how
they could get internet on the go, and I have to admit I didn't know.
The only thing I could tell them was to get a wireless PCMCIA network
card and mooch off the neighbor's wireless system Is there some
sort of "cel-phone modem" pcmcia card they could plug in?

>Which hardware do I need for Internet on the go? Which services must I
>subscribe to?

alt.certification.a-plus might be able to help you out a little better
with basic computer questions. I also get these questions from
customers and I've been researching what I should tell them.

Thanks,
Dan

AG

The following from a NYT article. I think you have to register to get to it
so I'm not going to bother to post a link.

"In the United States, Verizon Wireless has been the most aggressive,
setting up its EV-DO wireless data service in 20 cities. So far, Verizon has
targeted business travelers who use data cards costing up to $300 that are
plugged into laptop computers to get high-speed connections on the road."
" Verizon charges $79.99 a month for unlimited use of the connections, and
less for those who pay based on how many megabits of data are sent and
received. In time, the company will offer cards for handheld devices, and
later for 3G-enabled cellphones. "

I don't think this is everywhere in the US so YMMV.

Hope this helps.

AG

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 13 Dec 2004 16:39:04 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)xzcvzxc (He Hate
> Retard and Moron) wrote:
>
>>Due to all the Dell bashing, I've decided to go with Sony Vaio instead.
>>Could
>>someone tell me which model/configuration I need for my needs: Internet on
>>the
>>go (like at a park), GPS compatible (so I can use it while driving), a
>>burner
>>so I can download movies and such off Internet.

> I also have a client who needs their hard drive replaced on a sony
> vaio (looks an aweful lot like a dell...same manuf?). They asked how
> they could get internet on the go, and I have to admit I didn't know.
> The only thing I could tell them was to get a wireless PCMCIA network
> card and mooch off the neighbor's wireless system Is there some
> sort of "cel-phone modem" pcmcia card they could plug in?
>
>>Which hardware do I need for Internet on the go? Which services must I
>>subscribe to?

> alt.certification.a-plus might be able to help you out a little better
> with basic computer questions. I also get these questions from
> customers and I've been researching what I should tell them.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

Scott Ehardt

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I also have a client who needs their hard drive replaced on a sony
> vaio (looks an aweful lot like a dell...same manuf?). They asked how
> they could get internet on the go, and I have to admit I didn't know.
> The only thing I could tell them was to get a wireless PCMCIA network
> card and mooch off the neighbor's wireless system Is there some
> sort of "cel-phone modem" pcmcia card they could plug in?

With some patience and work, you can get internet access using a USB cable
connected to your Sprint phone enabled with PCS Vision service. This is
typically at a speed slightly higher than dial-up, but can be a pain to use.
The good thing is that the $10/month vision access charge covers unlimited
usage.

If you want something you can use on a regular basis, I think you can get a
PCMCIA (laptop) card that will offer higher speeds at higher prices
($100/month for unlimited usage, or less for specific data amt. plans.)
Strangely I was unable to find even the PC card service listed on Sprint's
website. They have always kept the USB-to-cell phone setup in the dark,
presumably to conserve bandwidth, so you would have to purchase that cable
from a third party. There is an article (below) discussing the PC card
solution.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,110191,00.asp

--
Scott Ehardt
http://www.scehardt.com

David Hakala

>> On 13 Dec 2004 16:39:04 GMT, (E-Mail Removed)xzcvzxc (He Hate
>> Retard and Moron) wrote:
>>
>>>Due to all the Dell bashing, I've decided to go with Sony Vaio instead.
>>>Could
>>>someone tell me which model/configuration I need for my needs: Internet
>>>on the
>>>go (like at a park), GPS compatible (so I can use it while driving), a
>>>burner
>>>so I can download movies and such off Internet.

Ninety per cent of all laptops sold (not just offered) today are based on
Intel Centrino Mobile Technology, which comes standard with 802.11x
wireless connectivity. Get the much faster 802.11b or g if you'll be
downloading movies wirelessly; otherwise, 802.11a is cheaper and has longer
range. With 802.11x, you can hit the Net at Starbucks, airports, hotels, and
the park outside of your public library, school, or unsuspecting
corporation.

Computing while driving is called "reckless driving," a dangerous crime that
I refuse to aid or abet. If you must crash and burn, please do it alone and
far from other persons or their property.

Here are some cuts from a laptop roundup I wrote recently:

Sony VAIO V505: A Lavish but Lackluster Show Piece

A cool-looking "purplish grey" magnesium-alloy chassis, Pentium M options up
to 2.0 GHz, built-in DVD-RW or DVD/CD-RW burner, an 802.11b/g network
connection with power-saving on/off switch, and a 60 GB hard drive make the
VAIO V505 a 4.4 pound dream boat - that founders in the performance and
usability departments. The V505's speakers and palm rest take up half of the
hands-on space, where a larger keyboard would have been more useful. The
square footprint is deeper than most other notebooks, making it awkward to
flip the 12.3 inch screen up in airplane seats. Battery life is a mediocre
two hours during heavy use (e. g., watching a DVD) and up to four hours with
wireless turned off and little more than Microsoft Word in use. The V505 is
rather like five-inch stiletto heeled shoes: expensive, but you can look
great and function adequately for a little while, if you can stand the
discomfort.

ALL IS NOT INTEL

Don't overlook the AMD Mobile Athlon-XP 64 CPU from Intel's archnemesis,
American Micro Devices. Some pundits argue that were it not for the gadfly
innovations for which AMD is famous, we might all still be plodding along on
Intel 80286 platforms. Notebook vendors who eschew Intel's premium-priced
Pentium M can afford to add more of everything else to their AMD-based
mobile PCs.

Under the high-gloss red hood of the Acer Ferrari 3200 growls a 1.8 GHz
low-power Mobile Athlon-XP 64 that performs comparably to a 1.6 GHz Pentium
M. The 3200 comes with a DVD burner; a whopping 60 GB hard drive; 802.11g
network connection; Bluetooth short-range wireless connectivity; a
four-in-one PC card reader; four USB 2.0 ports; an IEEE 1394 FireWire port
rarely found on other notebooks (and good for transferring huge video or
data files); and above-average ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 video graphics
adapter. A 15 inch display tops off this 6.6 pound luxury ride.

--
David Hakala, who is busily writing his first book in more than 10 years
under the recently shortened working title, "The eMirate of eBay: How 'The