Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > software problem

software problem

Rod Long

Got a problem with some wireless adapter software. I installed it along with
the adapter and everything worked so-so for awhile and then stopped working.
I then wanted to uninstall and re-install to see if that would fix it. Used
the uninstall file that it suggested I use to uninstall and everything
seemed okay. Successfull uninstall. I then went to reinstall and it a window
popped up and stated that the drivers were installed for this device and
that I should uninstall them before I reinstall. I looked in 'add/remove
programs and it wasn't there. I looked in the 'program files' directory and
saw no folder with the Linksys name. I ran msconfig and saw nothing in the
startup. I looked in process..nothing. I used a registry cleaner..nothing. I
used 'regedit' to find files with Linksys, WLAN, WRT54GS, and Broman and
deleted all associated files. I even went to a 'DOS' window to look for the
folder..nothing. I cannot reinstall until the system is cleared of all
associated files obviously. Don't know what else to try. Any ideas? Thanks
in advance for any help.

Rocco

Chris E

Just a word of advice... be very careful messing with the Registry. You can
really screw your system up.
That being said, it seems you looked everywhere except where you should have
looked. Drivers are found and uninstalled, rolled back, etc,. in the Device
Manager. Try there.

Chris
A+, Net+

"Rod Long" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Got a problem with some wireless adapter software. I installed it along
> with the adapter and everything worked so-so for awhile and then stopped
> working. I then wanted to uninstall and re-install to see if that would
> fix it. Used the uninstall file that it suggested I use to uninstall and
> everything seemed okay. Successfull uninstall. I then went to reinstall
> and it a window popped up and stated that the drivers were installed for
> this device and that I should uninstall them before I reinstall. I looked
> in 'add/remove programs and it wasn't there. I looked in the 'program
> files' directory and saw no folder with the Linksys name. I ran msconfig
> and saw nothing in the startup. I looked in process..nothing. I used a
> registry cleaner..nothing. I used 'regedit' to find files with Linksys,
> WLAN, WRT54GS, and Broman and deleted all associated files. I even went to
> a 'DOS' window to look for the folder..nothing. I cannot reinstall until
> the system is cleared of all associated files obviously. Don't know what
> else to try. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Rocco

Rod Long

Forgot to mention...yes I did check device manager and..nothing. Thanks for
the reply though. I am still looking.
Rocco
"Chris E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsgJud.178771$V41.115889@attbi_s52...
> Just a word of advice... be very careful messing with the Registry. You
> can really screw your system up.
> That being said, it seems you looked everywhere except where you should
> have looked. Drivers are found and uninstalled, rolled back, etc,. in the
> Device Manager. Try there.
>
> Chris
> A+, Net+
>

> "Rod Long" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Got a problem with some wireless adapter software. I installed it along
>> with the adapter and everything worked so-so for awhile and then stopped
>> working. I then wanted to uninstall and re-install to see if that would
>> fix it. Used the uninstall file that it suggested I use to uninstall and
>> everything seemed okay. Successfull uninstall. I then went to reinstall
>> and it a window popped up and stated that the drivers were installed for
>> this device and that I should uninstall them before I reinstall. I looked
>> in 'add/remove programs and it wasn't there. I looked in the 'program
>> files' directory and saw no folder with the Linksys name. I ran msconfig
>> and saw nothing in the startup. I looked in process..nothing. I used a
>> registry cleaner..nothing. I used 'regedit' to find files with Linksys,
>> WLAN, WRT54GS, and Broman and deleted all associated files. I even went
>> to a 'DOS' window to look for the folder..nothing. I cannot reinstall
>> until the system is cleared of all associated files obviously. Don't know
>> what else to try. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> Rocco

Rod Long

Okay, finally tried 'system restore'. It froze the computer..twice. Booted
into safe mode and found nothing again. Then tried chkdisk(old
scandisk)..system stopped responding. Turned the computer off for awhile.
Then turned it back on..tried chkdisk again. It worked this time. Then tried
'system restore' again. It worked this time. Turned computer off..put
wireless adapter back in slot..turned it on..it installed the software
successfully. Everything works fine now. Whew! What the _______! Would it be
pointless to ask what happened? Probably. But now all is well with my
friend's wireless network. Thanks for all of the input.

Rocco
"Rod Long" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Forgot to mention...yes I did check device manager and..nothing. Thanks
> for the reply though. I am still looking.
> Rocco
> "Chris E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsgJud.178771$V41.115889@attbi_s52...
>> Just a word of advice... be very careful messing with the Registry. You
>> can really screw your system up.
>> That being said, it seems you looked everywhere except where you should
>> have looked. Drivers are found and uninstalled, rolled back, etc,. in
>> the Device Manager. Try there.
>>
>> Chris
>> A+, Net+
>>

>> "Rod Long" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Got a problem with some wireless adapter software. I installed it along
>>> with the adapter and everything worked so-so for awhile and then stopped
>>> working. I then wanted to uninstall and re-install to see if that would
>>> fix it. Used the uninstall file that it suggested I use to uninstall and
>>> everything seemed okay. Successfull uninstall. I then went to reinstall
>>> and it a window popped up and stated that the drivers were installed for
>>> this device and that I should uninstall them before I reinstall. I
>>> looked in 'add/remove programs and it wasn't there. I looked in the
>>> 'program files' directory and saw no folder with the Linksys name. I ran
>>> msconfig and saw nothing in the startup. I looked in process..nothing. I
>>> used a registry cleaner..nothing. I used 'regedit' to find files with
>>> Linksys, WLAN, WRT54GS, and Broman and deleted all associated files. I
>>> even went to a 'DOS' window to look for the folder..nothing. I cannot
>>> reinstall until the system is cleared of all associated files obviously.
>>> Don't know what else to try. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
>>>
>>> Rocco

Rocco

Okay, after back up his personal data I am going to 'wipe and
reload'...unless anyone else has any other suggestions.

leno bob

its weird sometimes things happen to computers that we fix but we have no
explanation for . just like when xp sp2 crashed my outlook express ( and
subsequently , my news groups ) i had to reinstall completley because after
finding my system restore was completely wiped out .. ( just a blank screen
where the system restore shyould have been ) so now i have a dual boot with
the sp2 for internet only and sp1 for all my other junk ... but at least ya
fixed the problem and you can breathe a little easier ..

leno bob