Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Boot Records - ?

Boot Records - ?

sbmike

I'm having trouble with the following terms:

- Dos Boot Record

- Volume Boot Record

- Boot Record

- Master Boot Record

- Partition Record

Is there a good site that explains each or does someone have a resource they
can direct me to. I think some terms are interchangeable and the four books
I have only seem to muddy the water more.

Mike

MF

Hey, Mike,
this confuses everybody, including those who write the books. (and you even
forgot the boot sector, which throws in a little more confusion.) but it's
pretty simple.

in the dos/windows world, there's a master boot record or boot sector. it's
the first thing on the hard drive. it holds partition info: what and where
the partitions on the disk are and which one is active, that is holds the
stuff the OS needs to start. and it also holds a little program
(executable) that runs and exists only to run what the OS needs to run. eg,
in NT and it's children, ntldr.

Then on each partition there's a partition boot record, that holds info
about the file system and the directory structure.

this is much simplified, but, basically, it. discard all the other names,
EXCEPT for volume boot sector. now, since volumes can be different from
partitions and have different definitions depending on the OS, you have to
specify the OS and the context to get a definition for volume before you
even think about the boot record.

strongly suggest you practise searching for technical info on the net using
this question as a base. try google.com and microsoft.com first. just
remember the MBR holds info about the partitions on the physical disk, the
partition boot record (aka dos boot record) holds info about that particular
partition. and volumes mean what the os mfgr says they mean.

learn to search the net and good luck

Mike
Mike

"sbmike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having trouble with the following terms:
>

> - Dos Boot Record
>
> - Volume Boot Record
>
> - Boot Record
>
> - Master Boot Record
>
> - Partition Record
>

> Is there a good site that explains each or does someone have a resource

they
> can direct me to. I think some terms are interchangeable and the four

books
> I have only seem to muddy the water more.
>

> Mike

sbmike

Thanks,

With your help, googles and rereading I think the picture is clearing up.

(sb) Mike

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Simple query returns 0 records in asp, but all records in vbscript masg0013@gmail.com ASP General 3 11-02-2006 09:23 AM
Boot Records Denis Computer Support 3 08-13-2005 05:47 PM
Delete records or update records Dan ASP General 1 05-10-2004 01:25 PM
match muliple header records to associated detail records Luke Airig XML 0 12-31-2003 12:06 AM

Advertisments