Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Wiping a Hard Drive

Wiping a Hard Drive

MF

This is like what do you do in Denver when you're dead....

Anyone know a practical, effective way to erase a hard drive that is deader
than a brick? It's a West. Digital 60 gig 7200 RPM. It won't spin up and
WD's diagnostic utilities won't recognize it. It went out a few days before
the warranty expired and I want to try to return it, but it has _lots_ of
sensitive info on it, and, dead or not, I don't want it in the hands of
strangers.

By practical, I mean something accessible to the average bozo, like me.
Running it thru an MRI scanner might be worth a try, but not too practical.

Thanks!

Mike

Kenny

Maybe you can revive it long enough to get the data off it.
http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-5029761.html

--

Kenny

"MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is like what do you do in Denver when you're dead....
>
> Anyone know a practical, effective way to erase a hard drive that is

deader
> than a brick? It's a West. Digital 60 gig 7200 RPM. It won't spin up and
> WD's diagnostic utilities won't recognize it. It went out a few days

before
> the warranty expired and I want to try to return it, but it has _lots_ of
> sensitive info on it, and, dead or not, I don't want it in the hands of
> strangers.
>
> By practical, I mean something accessible to the average bozo, like me.
> Running it thru an MRI scanner might be worth a try, but not too

practical.

> Thanks!
>
> Mike

Martin

"MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is like what do you do in Denver when you're dead....
>
> Anyone know a practical, effective way to erase a hard drive that is
> deader
> than a brick? It's a West. Digital 60 gig 7200 RPM. It won't spin up and
> WD's diagnostic utilities won't recognize it. It went out a few days
> before
> the warranty expired and I want to try to return it, but it has _lots_ of
> sensitive info on it, and, dead or not, I don't want it in the hands of
> strangers.
>
> By practical, I mean something accessible to the average bozo, like me.
> Running it thru an MRI scanner might be worth a try, but not too
> practical.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

If the info is so sensitive I would use a large hammer on it, and then just
buy a new drive.

MF

"Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4192ec78$0$18761$(E-Mail Removed) ng.com...

> "MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > This is like what do you do in Denver when you're dead....
> >
> > Anyone know a practical, effective way to erase a hard drive that is
> > deader
> > than a brick? It's a West. Digital 60 gig 7200 RPM. It won't spin up

and
> > WD's diagnostic utilities won't recognize it. It went out a few days
> > before
> > the warranty expired and I want to try to return it, but it has _lots_

of
> > sensitive info on it, and, dead or not, I don't want it in the hands of
> > strangers.
> >
> > By practical, I mean something accessible to the average bozo, like me.
> > Running it thru an MRI scanner might be worth a try, but not too
> > practical.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mike
> >

> If the info is so sensitive I would use a large hammer on it, and then

just
> buy a new drive.

That's a possibility, but I would rather have the company that sold me a
weak, defective product replace it. Hence asking for an effective way to
wipe it.

me

melt it? or cut it in half--or into several pieces with something.
"MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is like what do you do in Denver when you're dead....
>
> Anyone know a practical, effective way to erase a hard drive that is

deader
> than a brick? It's a West. Digital 60 gig 7200 RPM. It won't spin up and
> WD's diagnostic utilities won't recognize it. It went out a few days

before
> the warranty expired and I want to try to return it, but it has _lots_ of
> sensitive info on it, and, dead or not, I don't want it in the hands of
> strangers.
>
> By practical, I mean something accessible to the average bozo, like me.
> Running it thru an MRI scanner might be worth a try, but not too

practical.

> Thanks!
>
> Mike

Martin

"MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Martin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4192ec78$0$18761$(E-Mail Removed) ng.com...
>>

>> "MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > This is like what do you do in Denver when you're dead....
>> >
>> > Anyone know a practical, effective way to erase a hard drive that is
>> > deader
>> > than a brick? It's a West. Digital 60 gig 7200 RPM. It won't spin up

> and
>> > WD's diagnostic utilities won't recognize it. It went out a few days
>> > before
>> > the warranty expired and I want to try to return it, but it has _lots_

> of
>> > sensitive info on it, and, dead or not, I don't want it in the hands of
>> > strangers.
>> >
>> > By practical, I mean something accessible to the average bozo, like me.
>> > Running it thru an MRI scanner might be worth a try, but not too
>> > practical.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > Mike
>> >

>> If the info is so sensitive I would use a large hammer on it, and then

> just
>> buy a new drive.

> That's a possibility, but I would rather have the company that sold me a
> weak, defective product replace it. Hence asking for an effective way to
> wipe it.

I can understand that, but sometimes peace of mind is worth a few
bucks.......

Mark

Set it on one big ass magnet for about two hours.

"MF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is like what do you do in Denver when you're dead....
>
> Anyone know a practical, effective way to erase a hard drive that is
> deader
> than a brick? It's a West. Digital 60 gig 7200 RPM. It won't spin up and
> WD's diagnostic utilities won't recognize it. It went out a few days
> before
> the warranty expired and I want to try to return it, but it has _lots_ of
> sensitive info on it, and, dead or not, I don't want it in the hands of
> strangers.
>
> By practical, I mean something accessible to the average bozo, like me.
> Running it thru an MRI scanner might be worth a try, but not too
> practical.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

jas0n

says...
> Set it on one big ass magnet for about two hours.

dont think so!

if you ever open up a hard drive you'll find a nice strong magnet
already sitting right next to the platters!

Mark

We use one all the time Jason...its the same magnet we use to erase DIGI
tapes of our phone system...works great on harddrives...they gat a little
hot after sitting there.

"jas0n" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> says...
>> Set it on one big ass magnet for about two hours.
>>

> dont think so!
>
> if you ever open up a hard drive you'll find a nice strong magnet
> already sitting right next to the platters!

AG

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There's no way that a typical magnet could erase a hard drive with the
> cover in place. As has been pointed out, the motors and head servo of the
> hard drive itself have STRONG magnetic fields -- a LOT stronger than
> common household magnets -- and they ARE inside the hard drive itself, and
> they don't bother it. You CAN damage a floppy disk with magnets, but not
> a hard drive, not with anything that would normally encountered in most
> homes or businesses (now if you work around an MRI machine, that might be
> another story, but you can forget about "common" household and office
> devices).
>

> LadyTech wrote:
>> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>The other poster was right, people have no conception of the

>> strength of
>>
>>>magnetic field required to erase a hard drive. Basically, it's

>> almost
>>
>>>impossible unless you remove the covers over the platters, which by
>>>itself ruins the hard drive. At that point you might as well take a
>>>hammer or drill to it.
>>>
>>>[the heads of the hard drive are microns -- millionths of a meter --
>>>from the platter surface. Magnetic strength varies by the inverse
>>>square law. If you are only one inch away, you may have to produce

>>>magnetic field in the range of 10**12 times stronger than that

>> produced
>>
>>>by the read/write head. It's virtually impossible.]
>>>

>> Now I understand.... I never tried it, BUT a friend told me that her
>> sister used to work for a comp repair shop and the shop had made
>> little magnets with the shop name and number on them and customers
>> were putting the magnets on their computers, well apparently customers
>> were mysteriously getting their hard drives wiped.... well, my friend
>> said that her sister said it was due to those little magnets they were
>> putting on their computers..... It was hard to believe, but now that
>> you explained it more clearly than I understood before, I believe that
>> the magnets weren't the problem.... thanks Barry

Hey Barry, you've got the answer. All he has to do is take it up to the
hospital and run it through the MRI!!!

AG