Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > What causes a PC to shut down and reboot by itself?

What causes a PC to shut down and reboot by itself?

Skip Tomylew

I just got off the phone with a client and her computer is starting to
shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.

AG

"Skip Tomylew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I just got off the phone with a client and her computer is starting to
> shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
> running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
> should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.

HP computers have lots of problems with power supplies. I'd also look to be
sure that all of the fans were working.

AG

Skip Tomylew

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> I just got off the phone with a client and her computer is starting to
> shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
> running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
> should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check it out, being mindful
of the things suggested, then get back with the group. Thanks everyone
for being so helpful!

Skip Tomylew

In article <mOikd.10601$(E-Mail Removed) .net>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> "Skip Tomylew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> >I just got off the phone with a client and her computer is starting to
> > shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
> > running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
> > should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.

> Some of these suggestions are good but you should also go into the Device
> Manager, click Advanced and then the Settings for "Startup and recovery",
> then remove the check for automatic restart which stops this booting and
> which will enable you to see what error messages come up and point to what
> the problem could be.

Good Advice!

Jack

"Skip Tomylew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I just got off the phone with a client and her computer is starting to
> shut down abruptly and then reboot itself. It is a 2-year old HP Tower
> running Windows XP Home Edition with SBC DSL. What kinds of things
> should I look at first? Any help is appreciated.

Do you have the latest MS updates? This almost sounds like the MSBlaster
virus from about a year or so ago.