Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Sequence of Events: looking for advice

Re: Sequence of Events: looking for advice

Patrick Michael

"smackedass" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f0Kjd.4571$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Hello,
>
> 1) Boss installs Service Pack 2 of XP Home Edition on her computer.
>
> 2) Norton AV 2003 gives her a message, indicating that auto-enable and
> email
> scanning aren't happening (though some of the services continue) . They
> are
> not allowed to be enabled, either, click on "Enable", and nothing happens.
> Cannot change these in safe mode, either.
>
> 3) I uninstalled SP2. Still can't enable the compromised services.
>
> 4) I go to the NAV site; am advised to uninstall/reinstall AV 2003.
> Uninstall happens ok; when I go to re-install, it won't let me, says
> something about some cab file is corrupted. Can't find the cab file on
> the
> AV disk, or on the HD.
>
> 5) Am directed to attempt to install from the HD; I copy files to the HD,
> attempt to install from the HD, still can't, still a cab file is
> corrupted.
>
> 6) Back to the Symantec site...am directed to the MS site to download the
> Installer Repair/Cleanup utility. I downloaded and ran the utility; still
> can't install NAV 2003, same problem.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Norton Anti-Virus is an absolute bitch to completely uninstall. I had a
similar problem with a customer's computer, and had to do a complete
uninstall before I could get it to cleanly install again. Even after I used
Symantec's "uninstaller", I still had to go into the registry and delete
anything I could find related to symantec or Norton, as well as whatever
files were left in the C:\Program Files\Symantec directory.

You might also try doing a simple scandisk/chkdisc (I forget what it's
called in XP), as ocasionally these can fix problems with "corrupted" files.
It sounds like this is a problem with a file on the CD, ..but it might be
worth a shot.

the yeti

> You might also try doing a simple scandisk/chkdisc (I forget what it's
> called in XP), as ocasionally these can fix problems with "corrupted" files.
> It sounds like this is a problem with a file on the CD, ..but it might be
> worth a shot.

I think what you are looking for is sfc /scannow
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html