Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Okay, but what's with the Meyers book organization?

Okay, but what's with the Meyers book organization?

Michael

After reading what you guys had to say, I've decided to take the two exams
separately, but why is the All-In-One book organized the way it is? The
first few chapters are all core exam chapters, then OS exam chapters are
inserted, before going back to core exam chapters. It would seem to make
more sense to have all the same exam chapters together.

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 6 Nov 2004 18:46:03 -0500, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>After reading what you guys had to say, I've decided to take the two exams
>separately, but why is the All-In-One book organized the way it is? The
>first few chapters are all core exam chapters, then OS exam chapters are
>inserted, before going back to core exam chapters. It would seem to make
>more sense to have all the same exam chapters together.

Read the chapters out-of-sequence?

Tom

Thumper

wrote:

>After reading what you guys had to say, I've decided to take the two exams
>separately, but why is the All-In-One book organized the way it is? The
>first few chapters are all core exam chapters, then OS exam chapters are
>inserted, before going back to core exam chapters. It would seem to make
>more sense to have all the same exam chapters together.

You don't have to take them separately. I took them both at once and
used Mike's book. I think you will have a better overall
understanding if you study both at the same time.
Thumper
To reply drop XYZ in address

Cindy Clayton

wrote:

>After reading what you guys had to say, I've decided to take the two exams
>separately, but why is the All-In-One book organized the way it is? The
>first few chapters are all core exam chapters, then OS exam chapters are
>inserted, before going back to core exam chapters. It would seem to make
>more sense to have all the same exam chapters together.

Hi Michael,

To answer your question, the book is organized according to the way
Mike feels it's best to learn the material.

When CompTIA initially made the decision to split the A+ exam into two
portions, they had to find a way to distinguish one portion from the
other; as a result, we have "Core" and "OS" material. This is
something of an artificial distinction, however. In the real world, as
I'm sure you're aware, the hardware and software aspects of the PC
aren't always so easily separable.

When it comes to creating an A+ prep book, the bottom line is giving
you the material in a way that makes sense. Everyone who becomes A+
Certified will eventually have to know all of the material, to pass
both exams, so the All-In-One book is arranged in a way that's
conducive to whole-subject learning.

Hope that helps, and best of luck with your exams,

Cindy Clayton
Total Seminars, LLC
www.totalsem.com

Michael

Interestingly, the number of chapters devoted to the Core is 18 and the
chapters devoted to the OS is 5.

That's quite a large difference! For being divided into 2 tests, it's
remarkable that there seems to be a large material imbalance between the two
tests. Does this seem to be true to others who have taken the test?

Michael

"Cindy Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> To answer your question, the book is organized according to the way
> Mike feels it's best to learn the material.
>
> When CompTIA initially made the decision to split the A+ exam into two
> portions, they had to find a way to distinguish one portion from the
> other; as a result, we have "Core" and "OS" material. This is
> something of an artificial distinction, however. In the real world, as
> I'm sure you're aware, the hardware and software aspects of the PC
> aren't always so easily separable.
>
> When it comes to creating an A+ prep book, the bottom line is giving
> you the material in a way that makes sense. Everyone who becomes A+
> Certified will eventually have to know all of the material, to pass
> both exams, so the All-In-One book is arranged in a way that's
> conducive to whole-subject learning.
>
> Hope that helps, and best of luck with your exams,
>
> Cindy Clayton
> Total Seminars, LLC
> www.totalsem.com

Thumper

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:10:15 -0500, "Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Interestingly, the number of chapters devoted to the Core is 18 and the
>chapters devoted to the OS is 5.
>
>That's quite a large difference! For being divided into 2 tests, it's
>remarkable that there seems to be a large material imbalance between the two
>tests. Does this seem to be true to others who have taken the test?
>
>Michael

There really isn't an imbalance. Much of the so called core chapters
carry OS stuff too.
Thumper

>"Cindy Clayton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >

>> To answer your question, the book is organized according to the way
>> Mike feels it's best to learn the material.
>>
>> When CompTIA initially made the decision to split the A+ exam into two
>> portions, they had to find a way to distinguish one portion from the
>> other; as a result, we have "Core" and "OS" material. This is
>> something of an artificial distinction, however. In the real world, as
>> I'm sure you're aware, the hardware and software aspects of the PC
>> aren't always so easily separable.
>>
>> When it comes to creating an A+ prep book, the bottom line is giving
>> you the material in a way that makes sense. Everyone who becomes A+
>> Certified will eventually have to know all of the material, to pass
>> both exams, so the All-In-One book is arranged in a way that's
>> conducive to whole-subject learning.
>>
>> Hope that helps, and best of luck with your exams,
>>
>> Cindy Clayton
>> Total Seminars, LLC
>> www.totalsem.com

To reply drop XYZ in address

PlazticSoul

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Interestingly, the number of chapters devoted to the Core is 18 and the
> chapters devoted to the OS is 5.
>
> That's quite a large difference! For being divided into 2 tests, it's
> remarkable that there seems to be a large material imbalance between the
> two tests. Does this seem to be true to others who have taken the test?
>
> Michael

Yeah, I noticed that, too. But a lot of time in his book is spent going over
why things are the way they are, especially with the hardware, so it seems
like a lot more info than it really is. I appreciate his historical
perpective, though, because it helps in grasping the concepts behind the
data.With the OS exam you don't have to memorize as much. Just be familiar
with everything. Also, you will see networking and printer questions touched
upon in BOTH exams... or, at least that was the case for me.