Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > this is driving me nuts!

this is driving me nuts!

Michael

A few days ago, a problem came up that doesn't make sense to me.

Whenever my home Win XP machines does a cold boot (either from power off or
hibernate), it has no internet (or LAN )connectivity. When I do a
"ipconfig /all" the only thing I get is the first line ("Windows IP
Configuration") of the usual information that's given by that command. When
I check "View Network Connections," the usual "Local Area Connection" is
missing! Of course, I can't ping my gateway, but the loopback ping works.

All I have to do to fix this problem, is to do a warm reboot (restart) and
everything is back to normal.

I've have a D-Link DI-604 router which connects this computer along with
another computer to a broadband connection. My other computer works fine.
I've re-set the router and even upgraded the firmware to the latest patch. I
am using DHCP with my router. I even tried to assign a static DHCP address,
but it's not help. The only thing that I changed to my system in the last
few days, is that I added a second hard drive, which works fine.

What could possibly be causing this? It's annoying to have to boot my
computer twice each time I turn it on.

DirtyHeel

Michael wrote:
> A few days ago, a problem came up that doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Whenever my home Win XP machines does a cold boot (either from power
> off or hibernate), it has no internet (or LAN )connectivity. When I
> do a "ipconfig /all" the only thing I get is the first line ("Windows
> IP Configuration") of the usual information that's given by that
> command. When I check "View Network Connections," the usual "Local
> Area Connection" is missing! Of course, I can't ping my gateway, but
> the loopback ping works.
>
> All I have to do to fix this problem, is to do a warm reboot
> (restart) and everything is back to normal.
>
> I've have a D-Link DI-604 router which connects this computer along
> with another computer to a broadband connection. My other computer
> works fine. I've re-set the router and even upgraded the firmware to
> the latest patch. I am using DHCP with my router. I even tried to
> assign a static DHCP address, but it's not help. The only thing that
> I changed to my system in the last few days, is that I added a second
> hard drive, which works fine.
>
> What could possibly be causing this? It's annoying to have to boot my
> computer twice each time I turn it on.

Interesting. I wish I could help, but I just wanted to say that I have the
same router and I have a similar problem, but my problem only occurs if I
re-activate my PC from standby mode. The way I get the net to start working
is I unplug then re-plug the router. That might be a faster option than
resetting your computer :s
--
A Member of Troll Incorporated 3000

Michael

The router is left on all the time. I now don't believe it's the router,
especially since my other computer works fine. See my reply to the next
post.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is the router left on all the time? If it's on a power strip with the
> computer, that may be your problem. The router has to be "up" for a
> considerable time before the computer is turned on.

Michael

Unplugging and re-plugging the router didn't do anything. I now believe that
it can't be the router and here's why.

When I disconnect the cable from my router to the computer, the same thing
happens. Yeah, I know that you are all saying that of course, with no cable,
you won't get a connection, but wait:

On a cold boot, the icon for "Local Area Connection" in "View Network
Connections," is still missing, cable or no cable. That means that I can't
configure TCP/IP or check the settings. As I have said, I also get nothing
for using ipconfig at the command line.

However, if I restart the computer (warm boot), despite the fact that my
cable is unplugged, at *least* I now see the "Local Area Connection" icon
and can check my TCP/IP configuration. I even get the task bar icon that
warns me that a cable is unplugged as expected.

Should I repair Windows? What is happening with the cold boot vs. a reboot?

Michael

"DirtyHeel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Interesting. I wish I could help, but I just wanted to say that I have the
> same router and I have a similar problem, but my problem only occurs if I
> re-activate my PC from standby mode. The way I get the net to start
> working
> is I unplug then re-plug the router. That might be a faster option than
> resetting your computer :s
> --
> A Member of Troll Incorporated 3000

D V. Brown

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A few days ago, a problem came up that doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Whenever my home Win XP machines does a cold boot (either from power off
> or hibernate), it has no internet (or LAN )connectivity. When I do a
> "ipconfig /all" the only thing I get is the first line ("Windows IP
> Configuration") of the usual information that's given by that command.
> When I check "View Network Connections," the usual "Local Area Connection"
> is missing! Of course, I can't ping my gateway, but the loopback ping
> works.
>
> All I have to do to fix this problem, is to do a warm reboot (restart) and
> everything is back to normal.
>
> I've have a D-Link DI-604 router which connects this computer along with
> another computer to a broadband connection. My other computer works fine.
> I've re-set the router and even upgraded the firmware to the latest patch.
> I am using DHCP with my router. I even tried to assign a static DHCP
> address, but it's not help. The only thing that I changed to my system in
> the last few days, is that I added a second hard drive, which works fine.
>
> What could possibly be causing this? It's annoying to have to boot my
> computer twice each time I turn it on.

Have you checked Event Viewer to see what service(s) may have failed to
start or other possible related issues?

«bonehead;\)

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> By no means am I sure of this, but since there is not supposed to be any
> software difference between a warm & cold boot, I'd be inclined to think
> that this might be a hardware issue. I'd try a different network card.

I'm thinking the same thing....
Eliminate all possible hardware issues ( you started with the router...)
I would also swap ports on the router... it's possible that one might be
defective...
Try swapping NICs....
I have a sneaking suspicion you have some third party software on that
machine,
that is causing the problem....

--
<B0N3H3@D>

Michael

> "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm thinking the same thing....
> Eliminate all possible hardware issues ( you started with the router...)
> I would also swap ports on the router... it's possible that one might be
> defective...

Did that...no good.

> Try swapping NICs....

I can't. The NIC is onboard.

> I have a sneaking suspicion you have some third party software on that
> machine,
> that is causing the problem....

Could be. The only major change was putting Windows 2003 on another drive as
a demo. I did that about the same time the problems began.

Michael

"D V. Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Have you checked Event Viewer to see what service(s) may have failed to
> start or other possible related issues?

Good suggestion:

This is what I get:
IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to initialize IKE module with error
code: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object
referenced.

.. IPSec Services could not be started.

IPSec Services: IPSec Services has experienced a critical failure and has
shut down with error code: The network connection was aborted by the local
system.

.. Stopped IPSec Services can be a potential security hazard to the machine.
Please contact your machine administrator to re-start the service.

Sounds scary, no? It actually says that the network connection was aborted.
But what doesn't make sense is that these same event viewer messages come up
even when I do the successful warm reboot and I have my normal connectivity.
Also, I notice, whether I do a cold or warm boot, the IPSec service is
running anyway. So, why is it telling me that the service couldn't start
when it shows up in the processes list in Task Manager?

The only other thing that I can think of is that about the time I started
having problems is when I installed another hard disk with Windows Server
2003 on it. That OS experiences the same problems that I have described,
except that I don't get IPSec error messages in the Event Viewer.

Maybe, it's time to do a System Restore?

D V. Brown

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "D V. Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Have you checked Event Viewer to see what service(s) may have failed to
>> start or other possible related issues?

> Good suggestion:
>
> This is what I get:
> IPSec Services: IPSec Services failed to initialize IKE module with error
> code: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object
> referenced.
>
> . IPSec Services could not be started.
>
> IPSec Services: IPSec Services has experienced a critical failure and has
> shut down with error code: The network connection was aborted by the local
> system.
>
> . Stopped IPSec Services can be a potential security hazard to the
> machine. Please contact your machine administrator to re-start the
> service.
>

> Sounds scary, no? It actually says that the network connection was
> aborted. But what doesn't make sense is that these same event viewer
> messages come up even when I do the successful warm reboot and I have my
> normal connectivity. Also, I notice, whether I do a cold or warm boot, the
> IPSec service is running anyway. So, why is it telling me that the service
> couldn't start when it shows up in the processes list in Task Manager?
>
> The only other thing that I can think of is that about the time I started
> having problems is when I installed another hard disk with Windows Server
> 2003 on it. That OS experiences the same problems that I have described,
> except that I don't get IPSec error messages in the Event Viewer.
>
> Maybe, it's time to do a System Restore?

Could be a corrupt or hijacked lsass.exe. Hijacked, maybe by trojan or
spyware? Wouldn't hurt to do a scan and then maybe a system restore.
I've seen where a virus over-wrote the lsass.exe and a repair was necessary
after removing the virus. I think it was Sasser but I don't remeber now.

Let us know what you find out.

Michael

"D V. Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could be a corrupt or hijacked lsass.exe. Hijacked, maybe by trojan or
> spyware? Wouldn't hurt to do a scan and then maybe a system restore.
> I've seen where a virus over-wrote the lsass.exe and a repair was
> necessary after removing the virus. I think it was Sasser but I don't
> remeber now.
>
> Let us know what you find out.

Couldn't find any adware or viruses.

Now get this one . I cannot use System Restore. I can select a restore
point and it goes through the motions until it restarts and then I get the
message that my computer cannot been restored. I try other restore points
and get the same message.