Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Problem replacing drive

Re: Problem replacing drive

MF

Try this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;314057 .

Not exactly the same issue, but I think the root cause is the same:
your problem sounds like a boot record/disk geometry mismatch. And
even if the article's solution doesn't work, it should suggest other
approaches.

Mike

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The only two partitions involved in booting either 98SE or XP are C:

and
> D:, and both were copied with Partition Magic from the same working

drive.

> SBFan2000 wrote:
> > Did you look at the boot.ini file to make sure that it is pointing

to the
> > right partition?
> >

> > "Barry Watzman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>Re: "Apparently, installing the image doesn't provide the key

bootup
> >>files needed for it to boot up properly."
> >>
> >>That seems to be the case, but it doesn't make a lot of sense,

since
> >>both partitions were restored from Powerquest Drive Image backups.
> >>
> >>The 1st partition (C:, containing Win9 boots fine. XP on D:

won't boot.

> >>Some other interesting things: more recently, if I try this, I

get a
> >>"100 Error" (some type of partition table error) if I run

Partition
> >>Magic from XP, but if I run it from Windows 98, I don't get this

error.
> >> Note, Partition Magic 8.0 is installed, separately, under both

OS',
> >>and both OS' actually reboot to MS-DOS (or DR-DOS) to do the

actual
> >>execution, which is where the error occurs. Now why would PM 8.0

give a
> >>partition table error from one OS and not the other? [and I sure

wish
> >>it would say which DRIVE has the error !!].
> >>
> >>I'm having a lot of trouble with this installation, which I've not
> >>really been able to resolve. While I could do a repair install,

I'd
> >>like to know why one should be necessary. My guess is that there

is a
> >>boot file somewhere (probably on drive C that has an actual

absolute
> >>disk sector address that is no longer correct. But that's just a

guess.
> >> There's no way for me to accept that a file is actually missing,

since
> >>both C: and D: have been copied.

(98SE) is 8

gig

they are

(Powerquest)

screen where

instance,

and

the drive

has no

been no

in both

fine,

reverted

doing a

Usenet News==----
> > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

>100,000 Newsgroups
> > ---= East/West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption

=---