Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > monitor going out

monitor going out

jjw

I have a monitor that seems to be going out. More specifically, every once
in a while, I'll see a bright flash of light in the center of the screen,
the light is a vertical line going from top to bottom. The light is
extremely bright, it hurts my eyes. When this happens, the rest of the
screen goes black. but right after, everything returns to normal. It
happens in much less than a second. It looks as if the bright light is
caused by all the color on the screen concentrating into the center. This
monitor is a few years old, but I don't know how old exactly. It is also my
main monitor, so I would like to preserve it. I have tried running it at
different resolutions but I did not notice any change in the bright light
problem.

My experience with monitors is fairly limited, so I guess the questions I
have are, is there a part that I could replace in the monitor? is there
anything I could do to extend the life of the monitor? and, is the death of
this monitor in the near future inevitable?

jjw

Kenny

There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair TV's
and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse and
can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet is
take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair,
it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.
--

Kenny

"jjw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a monitor that seems to be going out. More specifically, every

once
> in a while, I'll see a bright flash of light in the center of the screen,
> the light is a vertical line going from top to bottom. The light is
> extremely bright, it hurts my eyes. When this happens, the rest of the
> screen goes black. but right after, everything returns to normal. It
> happens in much less than a second. It looks as if the bright light is
> caused by all the color on the screen concentrating into the center. This
> monitor is a few years old, but I don't know how old exactly. It is also

my
> main monitor, so I would like to preserve it. I have tried running it at
> different resolutions but I did not notice any change in the bright light
> problem.
>
> My experience with monitors is fairly limited, so I guess the questions I
> have are, is there a part that I could replace in the monitor? is there
> anything I could do to extend the life of the monitor? and, is the death

of
> this monitor in the near future inevitable?
>
> jjw

chris

Good Advice

Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair, it can be dangerous and may
leave it ((AND YOU)) beyond repair

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair

TV's
> and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse and
> can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
> could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet

is
> take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY

repair,
> it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.
> --
>
> Kenny
>

> "jjw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a monitor that seems to be going out. More specifically, every

> once
> > in a while, I'll see a bright flash of light in the center of the

screen,
> > the light is a vertical line going from top to bottom. The light is
> > extremely bright, it hurts my eyes. When this happens, the rest of the
> > screen goes black. but right after, everything returns to normal. It
> > happens in much less than a second. It looks as if the bright light is
> > caused by all the color on the screen concentrating into the center.

This
> > monitor is a few years old, but I don't know how old exactly. It is

also
> my
> > main monitor, so I would like to preserve it. I have tried running it

at
> > different resolutions but I did not notice any change in the bright

light
> > problem.
> >
> > My experience with monitors is fairly limited, so I guess the questions

> > have are, is there a part that I could replace in the monitor? is there
> > anything I could do to extend the life of the monitor? and, is the

death
> of
> > this monitor in the near future inevitable?
> >
> > jjw

«bonehead;\)

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Good Advice
>
> Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair, it can be dangerous and may
> leave it ((AND YOU)) beyond repair
>

> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair

> TV's
> > and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse

and
> > can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
> > could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet

> is
> > take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY

> repair,
> > it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.

For the cost of repair you would be better served to get a new or used
monitor (w/ warranty).

--
<B0N3H3@D>

Patrick Michael

"jjw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a monitor that seems to be going out. More specifically, every once
>in a while, I'll see a bright flash of light in the center of the screen,
>the light is a vertical line going from top to bottom. The light is
>extremely bright, it hurts my eyes. When this happens, the rest of the
>screen goes black. but right after, everything returns to normal. It
>happens in much less than a second. It looks as if the bright light is
>caused by all the color on the screen concentrating into the center. This
>monitor is a few years old, but I don't know how old exactly. It is also
>my main monitor, so I would like to preserve it. I have tried running it
>at different resolutions but I did not notice any change in the bright
>light problem.
>
> My experience with monitors is fairly limited, so I guess the questions I
> have are, is there a part that I could replace in the monitor? is there
> anything I could do to extend the life of the monitor? and, is the death
> of this monitor in the near future inevitable?

I'd probably just look at prices for new ones. It might be worth it just to
have a *bright* screen. Your old one might be getting a little dim by now.

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:12:04 +0100, "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair TV's
>and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse and
>can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
>could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet is
>take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair,
>it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.

I have similar experience, and I agree. Bad solder connection or
intermittent open component, specifically in the horizontal
deflection. The way monitors are put together, an inexperienced person
could kill it simply by trying to take it apart. The fact that you
didn't even indicate the monitor's make and model speaks volumes. That
is something for someone experienced with these things. Sorry.

Tom

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:06:28 GMT, "Ā«bonehead;\)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> Good Advice
>>
>> Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair, it can be dangerous and may
>> leave it ((AND YOU)) beyond repair
>>

>> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair

>> TV's
>> > and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse

>and
>> > can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
>> > could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet

>> is
>> > take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY

>> repair,
>> > it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.

>For the cost of repair you would be better served to get a new or used
>monitor (w/ warranty).

Not always, and especially not in this case (based on my experience,
this should not be costly, on average). If the original poster should
decide to follow your advice, my recommendation to him is to find his
other monitor a good home with someone who will repair it. The level
of irresponsibility our society has demonstrated in attempting to
destroy this planet is appalling.

When I was in the electronics repair business, I prided myself as
being a recycler as well.

Tom

«bonehead;\)

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:06:28 GMT, "«bonehead;\)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >>
> >> Good Advice
> >>
> >> Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY repair, it can be dangerous and

may
> >> leave it ((AND YOU)) beyond repair
> >>

> >> "Kenny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

repair
> >> TV's

> >and

bet
> >> is
> >> repair,

> >For the cost of repair you would be better served to get a new or used
> >monitor (w/ warranty).

> Not always, and especially not in this case (based on my experience,
> this should not be costly, on average). If the original poster should
> decide to follow your advice, my recommendation to him is to find his
> other monitor a good home with someone who will repair it. The level
> of irresponsibility our society has demonstrated in attempting to
> destroy this planet is appalling.
>
> When I was in the electronics repair business, I prided myself as
> being a recycler as well.

That's funny because I was also going to add that he should make sure to
discard
the monitor in a safe way or find someone willing to monkey with it (like
you)...

--
<B0N3H3@D>

Tom MacIntyre

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:35:37 GMT, "Ā«bonehead;\)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:06:28 GMT, "Ā«bonehead;\)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>may

>repair
>> >and

>bet
>> >
>> >For the cost of repair you would be better served to get a new or used
>> >monitor (w/ warranty).

>> Not always, and especially not in this case (based on my experience,
>> this should not be costly, on average). If the original poster should
>> decide to follow your advice, my recommendation to him is to find his
>> other monitor a good home with someone who will repair it. The level
>> of irresponsibility our society has demonstrated in attempting to
>> destroy this planet is appalling.
>>
>> When I was in the electronics repair business, I prided myself as
>> being a recycler as well.

>That's funny because I was also going to add that he should make sure to
>discard
>the monitor in a safe way or find someone willing to monkey with it (like
>you)...

I salute you.

Tom

jjw

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is no part that an inexperienced person could replace. I repair
> TV's
> and some monitors. This fault is known as intermittent line collapse and
> can have different causes. It may be as simple as dry solder joints, I
> could also be the line transformer or other failing component. Best bet
> is
> take it to a good TV engineer Don't be tempted to open it or a DIY
> repair,
> it can be dangerous and may leave it beyond repair.
> --
>
> Kenny

Good advice....however, I am already tempted to open it. At the rate it is
declining, I imagine it will stop working completely in a month or two. I
am a little bit concerned about my well being....there are ways to discharge
it, isn't there?

jjw