Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Re: Problem replacing drive

Re: Problem replacing drive

AG

"SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Does this not have something to do with the fact that XP will not remain
> active if it recognizes a change in hardware?

That shouldn't have an effect since there was only one hardware change, the
drive itself. I second the suggestion that he try a repair install.

AG

8
> > > gigs, the D: partition (XP) is 16 gigs, both FAT32 (it's a 200 gig
> > > drive, and there are other partitions, but I don't think that they are
> > > part of this issue).
> > >
> > > Replacing the drive with a 250 gig drive. Used Drive Image

(Powerquest)
> > > to copy both partitions to the new drive, unchanged for now.
> > >
> > > 98SE boots fine.
> > >
> > > XP won't boot. It starts to boot, gets as far as the blue screen

where
> > > the user logon (photos) would be if there were any (in this instance,
> > > there's only a single user so there is no selection to be made), and
> > > there it sits. The system isn't dead, the mouse cursor moves, the

drive
> > > light blinks every few seconds, but there is virtually no drive
> > > activity, and booting never goes beyond that point. That screen has

no
> > > buttons at all, and ctrl-alt-delete does nothing. There have been no
> > > changes at all to the system other than the hard drive (WD IDE in both
> > > cases). Tried safe mode, and I get the same result.
> > >
> > > Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? It's FAT32, so it
> > > shouldn't be any kind of XP security issue. The partition looks fine,
> > > booting from 98SE and looking at it, everything seems ok. I've

reverted
> > > to the old drive for now.
> > >

> > I've had the same issue at least a few times and I resolved by doing a
> > "repair/install" on it.
> > Apparently, installing the image doesn't provide the key bootup files

> needed
> > for it to boot up properly.
> >
> > Mark Mandell

News==----