Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > For the umpteenth time!

For the umpteenth time!

Rudy Lopez

DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...

....nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...

what does it stand for?

Oh never mind.

GWB

"Rudy Lopez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
>
> ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
>
> what does it stand for?
>

> Oh never mind.

There is no official description for the acronym

Patrick Michael

"Rudy Lopez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
>
> ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
>
> what does it stand for?

From the best source for information on the DVD standard on the internet -
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.1
[1.1.1] What do the letters DVD stand for?
All of the following have been proposed as the words behind the letters DVD.

a.. Delayed, very delayed (referring to the many late releases of DVD
formats)
b.. Diversified, very diversified (referring to the proliferation of
recordable formats and other spinoffs)
c.. Digital venereal disease (referring to piracy and copying of DVDs)
d.. Dead, very dead (from naysayers who predicted DVD would never take
off)
e.. Digital video disc (the original meaning proposed by some of DVD's
creators)
f.. Digital versatile disc (a meaning later proposed by some of DVD's
creators)
g.. Nothing
And the official answer is? "Nothing." The original acronym came from
"digital video disc." Some members of the DVD Forum (see 6.1) tried to
express that DVD goes far beyond video by retrofitting the painfully
contorted phrase "digital versatile disc," but this has never been
officially accepted by the DVD Forum as a whole. The DVD Forum decreed in
1999 that DVD, as an international standard, is simply three letters. After
all, how many people ask what VHS stands for? (Guess what, no one agrees on
that one either.)

Volund

"Rudy Lopez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
>
> ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
>
> what does it stand for?
>

> Oh never mind.

Dont Video Dallas!!! youll ruin the machine, now get back inthe kitchen
woman...!!1

TechGeekPro

On Oct 6, 2004 at 7:40pm "Rudy Lopez" blathered:

> DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
>
> ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
>
> what does it stand for?
>

> Oh never mind.

Who cares?

--
TechGeekPro, MCNGP #36
MCNGP.com - We're here to help!

Tom MacIntyre

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:40:32 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Rudy Lopez)
wrote:

>DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...

So it's Dumb, Very Dumb, to refer to it as such?

Tom

>...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
>
>what does it stand for?
>

>Oh never mind.

poorspeller

"GWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Rudy Lopez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
>>
>> ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
>>
>> what does it stand for?
>>

>> Oh never mind.

> There is no official description for the acronym

Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
anyway...

davemeek

Capt. Beefheart

"poorspeller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "GWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rudy Lopez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
> >>
> >> ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
> >>
> >> what does it stand for?
> >>

> >> Oh never mind.

> > There is no official description for the acronym
> >

> Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
> anyway...

Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?

What makes up an umpteenth?

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

Tom MacIntyre

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 04:07:00 -0500, "Capt. Beefheart"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"poorspeller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>

>> "GWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Rudy Lopez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > There is no official description for the acronym
>> >

>> Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
>> anyway...

>Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
>I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
>Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?
>
>What makes up an umpteenth?
>
>Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
>Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

It's divisible by "norteen".

Tom

poorspeller

"Tom MacIntyre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 04:07:00 -0500, "Capt. Beefheart"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>"poorspeller" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>

>>> "GWB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
>>> anyway...

>>Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
>>I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
>>Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?
>>
>>What makes up an umpteenth?
>>
>>Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
>>Any help woud be greatly appreciated.
>>

> It's divisible by "norteen".
>
> Tom

It is any prime number that is exactly divisible by the square root of 47.

davemeek