Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Windows 2000 won't load

Windows 2000 won't load

Hardware Guy

I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Phoenix BIOS (revision A10) and
Windows 2000. The computer is slow going through BIOS, then it shows
the first "Starting Windows 2000" loading bar, but once the bar
reaches the end it goes right back to the BIOS loading screen.

I've tried starting in Safe Mode and Troubleshooting Mode, but I just
get the same scenario.

Any ideas?

Rudy Lopez

On 4 Oct 2004 08:56:21 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Hardware Guy) wrote:

>I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Phoenix BIOS (revision A10) and
>Windows 2000. The computer is slow going through BIOS, then it shows
>the first "Starting Windows 2000" loading bar, but once the bar
>reaches the end it goes right back to the BIOS loading screen.
>
>I've tried starting in Safe Mode and Troubleshooting Mode, but I just
>get the same scenario.
>
>Any ideas?

The most likely device in a computer to fail is the hard disk because
it is mechanical.

Ok, the fans are other prime candidates but you often don't discover
they are dead until somethings else smokes (literally).

In my experience a hard disk can often fail by seeming to boot very
slowly and then basically fail in the process.

I hope you have a backup or at least have your important data backed
up, because after an actual hard disk failure data recovery is
difficult and unlikely.

There could be a different issue other than a bad hard disk. It could
be the controller on the mother board. It could be the power supply.
It could be interference from the CD-ROM drive if that drive has the
problem. It could even just be the files on the hard disk are
corrupted or a virus.

But my money is on the hard-drive.

My suggestion (and I think you should wait for another opinion before
you procede) is that you try to re-install windows on the hard disk.

I've gone through this problem on two of my own machines with fairly
old hard disks. The re-install seemed to start ok but then just slowed
to a crawl. Replacing the hard disk with a new disk made the
re-install go like a breeze.

Now if you have data on the hard disk you need to retrieve I am not
sure what you should really do. Maybe someone else here has an idea.

My suggestion is that if you have a known good disk and want to try a
clean install on that new disk while keeping the old disk safe on the
sidelines that could prove out whether the motherboard etc. are ok.

It used to be that you could boot from a DOS diskette and get whatever
leters or termpapers you wanted if you could move them to a floppy.
Now that windows uses NTFS this is a lot harder to do. But still, if
the hard disk is toast you are out of luck.

Good luck or bad, have fun fixing the machine!

Lap

Try booting off the Windows 2000 CD and go to the repair/console.

Run chkdsk /f to check the hard drive for any corruption. It may find a
fault and automatically repair it. Then type exit to reboot and see if it
works.

"Hardware Guy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 with Phoenix BIOS (revision A10) and
> Windows 2000. The computer is slow going through BIOS, then it shows
> the first "Starting Windows 2000" loading bar, but once the bar
> reaches the end it goes right back to the BIOS loading screen.
>
> I've tried starting in Safe Mode and Troubleshooting Mode, but I just
> get the same scenario.
>
> Any ideas?

Yeti

I've seen the same thing on an old k62-333 machine. My money is on the APM
causing the install to fail. Update the BIOS or get a new machine.