Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > A+ Certification > Are there any clock doubling CPU upgrades for Pentium 133 Laptops?

Are there any clock doubling CPU upgrades for Pentium 133 Laptops?

Rudy Lopez

I finally got back my Dell Latitude LM P133 MHz laptop after a
prolonged loan to a GF.

After buying it a new battery and upgrading the memory from 24MB to
72MB and from Win95 to Win98SE (which cured it of some buggy
behavior), I'm wondering what else I can do to it...

I may get it a larger HD and do a dual boot with Linux on it.

It's pretty good for running Office 97 and Transcenders, but it is a
little slow at web-browsing and I haven't even tried multimdedia on
it. The new battery seems to get me around 3 hours of mobile use out
of it. Even when it was new, I only got around an hour from it.

What are the chances of finding a CPU upgrade for the laptop?

Edward A. Weissbard

Rudy,

Thats a tough one. Most older chipsets for laptops were not meant to
upgrade to a higher clock speed CPU. If it was a Desktop you might be able
to find some older accelerator chips that you would place in the CPU socket.
Being a laptap with condensed space, makes it really hard. Good luck on
your search.

Thanks,

Edward W.
El Paso, TX
"Rudy Lopez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I finally got back my Dell Latitude LM P133 MHz laptop after a
> prolonged loan to a GF.
>
> After buying it a new battery and upgrading the memory from 24MB to
> 72MB and from Win95 to Win98SE (which cured it of some buggy
> behavior), I'm wondering what else I can do to it...
>
> I may get it a larger HD and do a dual boot with Linux on it.
>
> It's pretty good for running Office 97 and Transcenders, but it is a
> little slow at web-browsing and I haven't even tried multimdedia on
> it. The new battery seems to get me around 3 hours of mobile use out
> of it. Even when it was new, I only got around an hour from it.
>
> What are the chances of finding a CPU upgrade for the laptop?

Rudy Lopez

The response seemed to be universal that there are probably no clock
doubling CPU chips available for this laptop.

Well, its running Windows 98SE ok.

I have Office 97 and some older copies of Borland Delphi and Visual
Basic. The machine can handle all of this older stuff. It's just not
capable of playing back or streaming video files and web browsing is a
little clunky.

I expect Microsoft will eventually cut the umbilical cord
compatibility wise with Windows 98 and Office 97. At that point I will
just nurse the the thing along with Linux.

«bonehead;\)

"Rudy Lopez" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The response seemed to be universal that there are probably no clock
> doubling CPU chips available for this laptop.
>
> Well, its running Windows 98SE ok.
>
> I have Office 97 and some older copies of Borland Delphi and Visual
> Basic. The machine can handle all of this older stuff. It's just not
> capable of playing back or streaming video files and web browsing is a
> little clunky.
>
> I expect Microsoft will eventually cut the umbilical cord
> compatibility wise with Windows 98 and Office 97. At that point I will
> just nurse the the thing along with Linux.

Try Moxilla firefox as a browser... you might be pleasantly surprised...

--
<B0N3H3@D>

doubling clock frequncy bxbxb3 VHDL 0 12-19-2004 05:03 PM
clock doubling? bxbxb3 VHDL 1 12-19-2004 08:58 AM
Pentium CPU vs Intel Celeron CPU and the Wireless Mouse kirk lives! Computer Support 4 05-02-2004 06:59 PM
Re: ASPNET Performance Problem : Pentium 3 is better than Pentium 4 Scott Allen ASP .Net 1 04-14-2004 06:35 AM
Burning CD on Pentium 133, debian Mainlander NZ Computing 0 03-04-2004 11:30 PM

Advertisments